Author Topic: 10sp Thorns  (Read 5361 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: 10sp Thorns
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 04:49:42 am »
no external sign

Thanks for that encouragement! I am thinking, maybe it will just motivate me to ride more! It'll be just out the front door. But I will need to shovel a path to the tree where I will lock it. The snow is deep these days!

davefife

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 09:31:38 am »
Remember, you are the customer!  If your spending your hard earned and want/prefer 9 speed - ask!  Its a gauge of customer commitment and service for a shop/supplier to meet reasonable customer asks on new kit.  If you would prefer 9, 8 or even 7 which Shimano have picked up with new levers http://www.madison.co.uk/products/cycling/transmission-braking-components/sti-gear-brake-levers/st-a070-7-speed-sti-set-double/ make the request.  It would be fair for them to ask for any price difference and a labour charge and up to you to consider the deal, but a decent retailer will do this.

9 speed is not in short supply here in the UK, (surprised that NZ is different) with wholesalers still keeping up healthy stock levels and a range of cassette ratios on 8 and 9. 7 sp ratios varieties however are getting sparse.  I still (as a repair shop) do more 9 speed than 10 and about as much 8 as always.  A standard MTB Claud Butler, Raleigh, Dawes bike that sells for up to £5/600 ish will still have 8 speed.  Any repair shop that wants to function has to keep stock of all drive train parts; interested in hearing (maybe via PM) from Pete about the NZ situation?

As we all know a bike is more than the sum of its parts and often functioning and durability is down to how well maintained the bike is.

BTW I also do 5, 6 and 7 sp freewheels, a favourite bike I see gets a new 6 speed close ratio every year, its a 6,000km/year commuting hack, could be Dan visiting me in disguise?

Dave

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 10:03:41 am »
...a favourite bike I see gets a new 6 speed close ratio every year, its a 6,000km/year commuting hack, could be Dan visiting me in disguise?
Aw, Dave...you blew my cover!  ;D

All the best,

Dan. (...who desperately wishes your parts supply was as readily available in shops on this side of the Pond)

mickeg

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 11:26:31 pm »
Regarding Dan's comments on outside storage, a few years ago I bought a 1994(?) vintage Bridgestone MB-6 for $5 USD.  Had been stored for over a decade outdoors.  How did I know that?  The owner had to saw down a two inch diameter (5cm) tree that had grown up through the frame.

I replaced some cables, the grips, plastic saddle, tires, tubes, chain, bottom bracket and front shifter.  Took 3 days to get it all re-greased and ready to roll.  A third of that time was getting the bottom bracket out of it, another third applying frame saver inside the tubing, and the rest of the time for everything else.  Although tempted to replace the steel handlebar that was badly lacking paint with an Aluminum one, I decided to keep the original with the original patina.

It is a great utility bike for running errands.  I store it outside where it is most convenient.  A plastic bag over a plastic saddle to reduce weathering and a plastic bag over the tire driven Union generator and light to keep the water out.  (The Union was not original to it.)

zoslen

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 11:46:47 pm »
But that better engineering for longevity has two costs: firstly, it is probably more expensive thereby making cycling more expensive and less accessible in an ordinary sort of way. Secondly, we don't want parts that rely on good engineering and manufacturing: we want parts that anybody can make in a small workshop or factory that rely on their intrinsic design simplicity for their strength, usefulness and either cheap replaceability or longevity. Shimano, who have done so much for cycling, now seem to be going down a dark and hellish road to protect their market leadership and want to take us with them, whether we like it or not. It isn't the way forward, it's a dead end of high value bikes, fashion and marketing.    

Very nice point!