Author Topic: A while back I clocked up 5000 miles on my Audax  (Read 2908 times)

doug

• The Cycle Hub
A while back I clocked up 5000 miles on my Audax
« on: December 13, 2013, 09:49:17 am »
Earlier this year I clocked up 5000 miles on my Thorn Audax.  Absolutely love it!

Just in case anyone reading this is thinking of getting one, I think this is a sprightly all purpose bike just as the brochure describes it.  However, if I were buying again I'd probably change the transmission to suit my needs and I'd go for STI shifters instead of bar-ends.  As for Panaracer tyres? Never again - too many punctures I'm afraid.  Don't let these details put you off.

Otherwise this bike has turned out to be a good "friend" which I think will last me 20 years.  Soon I am increasing my routine cycling and clocking up lots more miles as I'm going to do the 2014 Coast to Coast In A Day event (so I'll be pleased to have those low gears on Hardknott Pass!).

Here's a more detailed summary of the bicycle itself:
http://thecyclehub.net/thorn-audax-mk3-5000-mile-review/
http://thecyclehub.net - The life long joy of cycling

jags

Re: A while back I clocked up 5000 miles on my Audax
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 10:48:46 am »
well done doug great review class looking bike.
i agree with you on barend shifters i have them on my raleigh  work spot on every change but give me sti any day .i had tiagra on the sherpa work great but on my other bikes i has dura ace and yeah dura ace is by far much better  one shift and your there so precise, expensive but worth every penny.
the compact is a good idea as well it comes 50/34  i changed to a 36 found that combo much better.tyres if i had the dosh i would be going with grand bios simpley because there hand made rubber and as good as tubs .mind you for years i always had mitchlin pro race 2 or 3 found them  brilliant but i didn't have panniers on the rear so no idea how they would preform on a lightly loaded bike.
but as things stand your bike is class i'm after one myself will know in 2 days if i get it or not.

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 10:57:43 am »
5000 miles, that's a hell of an audax!

Seriously, glad you enjoying the bike.  They are my favourite of Thorn's derailleur bikes.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 12:46:14 pm »
What a great bike and I enjoyed your review on the link.
I ride a Raven and think mine will do me for another 20 years as well.
Mind you, I will be 80 then!

Sorry if I missed it in the review, but may I ask how long it took you to clock up the 5,000 miles?
I'm a bit of a milage geek myself. 850 per month is my max.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 04:50:09 pm »
i used to do 5000  to 8000 a year but these days if i clock up 2500 I'm doing well lazyites kicked in. ;D ;D

Neil Jones

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 05:14:32 pm »
Great review Doug and what a cracking bike you have. I agree with you 100% with regards to the Panaracers, I had endless punctures with mine and binned them in the end. I keep saying that I'll treat myself to an Audax Mk3 to supplement my RST and reviews like yours are very helpful to prospective Audax owners.
Hope you enjoy many more miles on your lovely bike,
Neil.

doug

• The Cycle Hub
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 08:22:16 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Just worried I inadvertently implied I've done 5000 miles this year, more like a little over 2000 miles after a slow start.  Sorry for any misunderstandings.

Wow it seems I'm not the only one to see Panaracers in such a poor light, so thanks Neil!  I kept getting puncture after puncture, most often little bits of grit being the culprits and once or twice I couldn't find anything at all.  Mind you, I have kept these old tyres as I have a turbo trainer, so if we get any snow this year I might switch to using the old tyres on the trainer - at least I won't need to worry about getting punctures pedalling away at home!

Neil Jones

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 09:59:49 pm »
Yes I could never understand why Thorn used to push the Panaracers as much as they did, especially when there are plenty of better alternatives, I can only think it must have been for economic reasons.
By the way I love your blog Doug, excellent.
Neil

rualexander

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 12:05:51 am »
I have always found Panaracer Pasela to be great tyres, very few punctures, reasonable mileage life, very light and comfortable.
Have the 700x28 size on my Audax mk3, no problems.
Have previously used the 26x1.75 size on my last tourer, including a 2800 mile trip in New Zealand, with a fair bit of gravel road riding, no problems, one puncture.

Relayer

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 08:37:30 am »
I also like the Panaracer Pasela TG tyres, I have done over 5,000 miles on them and I can't recall once getting a puncture.  I've had the 700 x 25s on my Audax bike and also the 26 x 1.75 on and off and on again with my RST - several times.   :-[

I have just switched the tyres on the Audax to Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tyres; I would have been happy to get Paselas again but there was a good deal on the Contis and they are 100g lighter each, so I thought I'd give them a try.

Also I have just put the Paselas back on the RST, I've been swayed from time to time by comments/reviews about the Paselas and put the Marathon Supremes on thinking they will be tougher and more reliable, but since the Paselas are definitely more comfortable and they haven't ever let me down I will go with what suits me.

Your Audax is a great looking bike Doug, and I hope the next 20 years will be as good for you.  :)

As a matter of interest, what did you replace the Paselas with?

Regards,
Jim
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 08:41:14 am by Relayer »

doug

• The Cycle Hub
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 05:17:52 pm »
Jim, thanks for your kind comments.  I replaced the tyres with slightly different versions to see how they go.  They are: Continental Gatorskin and Continental Grand Prix 4 Season.  Both are 700x25 and the folding variety.

I went for the 25's to get a little more mudguard clearance and hopefully a slightly faster ride (although I'm doubtful whether I will notice any difference because of that).  Perhaps saving some weight with the folding bead is making a more noticeable difference.

Now that I've clocked up a few hundred miles I feel pretty confident with them.  They have handled some awful winter road surfaces and debris very well and without any punctures.  Road holding is as it should be.