Author Topic: New Marathon Plus for 2014  (Read 4613 times)

Aushiker

• Aushiker: Bicycling and Bushwalking in Western Australia
New Marathon Plus for 2014
« on: December 13, 2013, 07:16:05 am »

Schwalbe have announced a new Marathon Plus for 2014 to go with the excitement over the Marathon Almotion. Lack of details but. Photo suggests a new tread pattern but not sure of other changes.

Andrew

Matt2matt2002

Re: New Marathon Plus for 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 12:47:39 pm »
By new tread pattern do you mean the edges? Middle bit looks the same as mine now.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Aushiker

• Aushiker: Bicycling and Bushwalking in Western Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 01:06:50 pm »
By new tread pattern do you mean the edges? Middle bit looks the same as mine now.

Tread pattern was probably a bad choice of words. Schwalbe are saying that the tyre has a new dynamic profile.

Andrew

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 02:44:54 pm »
Looks like the side walls have been strengthened ('anti-aging'??  ???). I didn't know that there was an American English spelling!

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-plus.html
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:49:55 pm by StuntPilot »

jags

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 05:02:36 pm »
hated the ones i had on the sherpa almost weighed as much as the bike. ;)

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 05:09:53 pm »
I've had Marathon Pluses on my 700c bike ....not comfortable and very heavy. The 2" folding Marathon Duremes on my RT are the best tyres I've ever ridden for my style of back lanes,cycle paths, pot holed roads (the norm these days) ...dare I say it, no punctures in the first 1000 miles  :)
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

onebikeoneworld

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 03:25:36 am »
Assuming you trust Schwalbe's own ratings, it only slightly beats the Marathon Mondial on puncture resistance, and fails to it on every other criteria.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 01:03:03 pm »
hated the ones i had on the sherpa almost weighed as much as the bike. ;)

I didn't hate my Marathon Plus, but that's because I didn't know any better; they are no more harsh-rdiing than the knobblies I had before, and at least they didn't puncture. i think they're good value for people who ride in cities with lots of glass on the road, and especially for people for whom a high mileage is important. But you couldn't pay me to go back to Marathons.

When I got Big Apples, I learned that you could have your apple and eat it too: superb cushy ride, superior roadholding, low resistance, excellent puncture proofing, huge longevity. Their weight might matter to a commuter, or to the roadies, but on a touring or countryside bike that rolls long stretches between stops, it's an irrelevance.

It seems to me that any of the Thorns capable of taking the 50mm Big Apples would make a very nice loaded tourer.