Author Topic: 853c forks - worth it?  (Read 2336 times)

honesty

853c forks - worth it?
« on: November 26, 2013, 12:29:10 pm »
I'm contemplating changing forks. I currently have Ambrosio carbon forks and am thinking of changing to the new 853c forks. Theres only a minimal weight difference (about 100g heavier) for better tyre clearance (I can finally fit some 28mm tyres!) and supposedly better comfort, but they are expensive and I'm not sure they are worth it.

Has anyone got any that give me their view on them, or just peoples thoughts in general?

jags

Re: 853c forks - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 01:12:29 pm »
at a guess i would say no i ride 23mm tyres at 100psi super comfy did have 25mm on didnt like them'on the sherpa i had599x 1.75 supreams  completly different bike to what i'm using now much more relaxed angles longer wheelbase so obviously it was going to be more comfy to my raleigh,but having said that give me 700x 23 any day,the carbon forks shouls be perfect with 23or25 tyres.
save your money and buy better bar tape. ;)

honesty

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 03:54:18 pm »
my worry about my current carbon forks is I've had them for 2 years, and theres a reasonably largish scratch down the right leg and I've been using them in the wet quite a lot. As I understand it one of the fail scenarios is water weakening the internal weave over a scratch....

honesty

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 05:35:49 pm »
Asked Thorn the same question and Andy B replied and he said clearance means you can fit some 32c tyres (the small sized ones) with mudguards. Definitely a selling point for me. Light touring will be much more comfortable. Definitely going to think about them now!

jags

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 06:14:37 pm »
ah i suppose if you fell better with new fork and tyres then 853 is the way to go.
best of luck with the new set up. ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 06:58:58 pm »
save your money and buy better bar tape. ;)

You're a gas, Anto!

jags

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 07:12:36 pm »
do me best Andre.sure what elst would i be saying. ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 07:36:15 pm »
my worry about my current carbon forks is I've had them for 2 years, and theres a reasonably largish scratch down the right leg and I've been using them in the wet quite a lot. As I understand it one of the fail scenarios is water weakening the internal weave over a scratch....
For someone like me whose fear of carbon breakage borders on outright paranoia, this statement is the equivalent of a ticking time bomb.

"I'd pull those forks off soonest", says Dan, who has lost some onetime pen pals to quadraplegia or death as a result of broken carbon forks. A few shops of my acquaintance keep their customers' retired/cracked carbon for me to view. It sure doesn't take much to render the material unsafe. One fork I saw developed surface crazing in the clear-coat on one fork blade right under the zip-ties that secured the wireless computer sensor. Another had been fitted with temporary mudguards and grit had worked its way under the plastic brackets that were secured by rubber straps; the clear-coat was again too badly worn to protect the carbon from separation and the roving (weave) showed signs of flex. Future installs used a strip of electrical tape beneath the brackets and no damage resulted even after two winters' use. Another sad case occurred when a bike's seat tube was clamped a smidge too tightly on a car carrier. Broken seatposts seem to outnumber frames and forks, likely due to exceeding the torque specs when re-tightening after an adjustment.

As far as the 531c forks go, they "should" feel a bit more lively, and the added clearance for larger-section tires is a boon for light touring, especially so on poor roads. If you won't be using front panniers in your touring, it is pretty much all-upside with no down except cost.

All the best,

Dan. (...who thinks carbon is terrific..until it [sometimes, occasionally suddenly] is not)

honesty

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 07:52:27 pm »
Seat post breaks are not going to be terminal, fork breaks can. I'm a little paranoid myself!