Author Topic: Another Converted Sherpa  (Read 7424 times)

phopwood

Another Converted Sherpa
« on: November 24, 2013, 02:12:52 pm »
Hi,

I have converted my Sherpa from derailleur to a rohloff speedhub.  I got a new Rohloff cc kit, rim and spokes and took the plunge.

My gears were wearing out my rim was wearing out,  all these came off of 10 year old bike when I assembled my Sherpa last year so they were old to start with.

I know it would have been cheaper to replace the standard gears,  but I felt it was time to move on.  And at the moment rose bike in Germany have our had great a deal on new rohloffs.

I did all the work my self using new parts.  I kept my crank and chain ring as they seemed OK and the 44 tooth chain ring is steel.  I opted for the chain tensions rather than messing with any other method.

I have just done a few miles on it so far so time will tell if my wheel building skill are up to standard.

I will post some pictures in a few days time.

All the best,

Peter

Relayer

Re: Another Converted Sherpa
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 02:55:04 pm »

I did all the work my self using new parts. 

Well done Peter, I wouldn't even attempt such a job.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Jim

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 05:08:48 pm »
Excellent on all counts, Peter!

Like Jim (Relayer), I'm so looking forward to photos of your "new" bicycle and some long-term ride reports as well.

All the best,

Dan.

triaesthete

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 06:44:37 pm »
Hi Peter

I hope your wheel is a success. You weren't kidding about the good price  :o No wonder they've now sold out!

Have fun
Ian

jags

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 08:29:42 pm »
so whats the verdict then much better jod or just different ::)
fair play for taking it on look forward to the pic's.

phopwood

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 08:54:59 pm »
I just did another 5 miles around the village in the dark and I would say first impressions are, the gears are a nice even spacing which you notice sight off and no messing with the front shifter. 

My old gear shifters were thumb shifters which were very slick and the rohloff do not compare,  but this I am sure I will get used to it.

The kit was very easy to fit, and I can convert back to derailleurs if I ever need too, also there is less clutter on the bars.  Every thing in the kit is great quality and fits together just right I did not have to bodge anything.

I went with Rigida Andra 30 which has made the wheel very heavy so I hope this will suit me only time will tell.

All the best.

Peter

jags

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 11:01:35 pm »
Stick up a few photos peter good man. ;)

macspud

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 11:45:53 pm »
Well done. I'm not suprised they're sold out now at that price. If I'd known I'd have jumped at it, I've been waiting for a good one to come up on ebay at the right price, all go for at least that and most considerably more.

phopwood

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 12:25:34 pm »
Some pictures.   I see from the pictures I need to tidy up the cable routing both hub cable and the lighting cable.  I initially ordered the hub from Bike-discount.de, but then saw the rose bike offer and bike-discount refunded me the difference as part of their price promise so I was very happy, I did not make this clear in the earlier post.  But then rose did sell out very quickly, so I guess they were just shifting stock.  But even at the bike-discount standard price it is still significantly less then UK retailer and the ebay offers are way too much.

All the best.
Peter

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 04:05:36 pm »
Yay, photos!

...and some really nice ones, too!

Peter, your Sherpa is looking very nice with its new Rohloff drivetrain. You've done a terrific job of getting everything all setup and in place.

Except for the hub's torque-reaction arm and the tensioner (neither very visible against the bike's matte black paint), it looks very like a "Factory" RavenTour and has similar cable routing. Especially nice job at the brake lever/shifter junction. All congratulations your way.

Well done!

All the best,

Dan.

phopwood

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 05:41:43 pm »
Thanks all for your kind words, now to put a few miles on it.

jags

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 07:22:30 pm »
class well done i loved the sherpa great bike.
one thing though whats the story with that rear rack it looks all over the place you need to sort it out.
 ;)other than that super job enjoy, btw i was trying to find the wheel on rose bikes but no luck have you a link to where you bought the wheel and kit thanks.

jags.

phopwood

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 08:42:44 pm »
Jags,

Not sure what you mean about the rack I am sure that's what it looked like in the shop  ::) but it works, sort of.

I did not buy the wheel built I got the parts and built the wheel my self.
At the  moment rose are sold out but you can still get a good deal from bike discount for the hub alone.

Peter.

jags

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 10:46:36 pm »
Peter the rear rack just looks as if its set to far back,not trying to be a smart arse just that i  notice things like that ::)
anyway look forward to the ride report and maybe a few more pic's.

jags.

phopwood

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 08:50:31 pm »
Well I have done about a hundred miles on my converted Sherpa and the gears are excellent, nicely spaced,  easy to use, cleaner and less hassle than twin shifters.

But my upgrade has slowed me down not by much but I do notice it on every ride.  I don't think this is related to the new rohloff but more to do with the weight of the new rim and the slime inner tube I put in.  My back wheel weighs in at 3.6 kgs

So over the last 12 months my standard 10 mile spin has averaged 12.2 mph since my upgrade 11.2 mph.  I am thinking perhaps a lighter rim would have been better.

Peter.