Author Topic: Atomic22 component locking system.  (Read 5522 times)

cycling-nomad

Atomic22 component locking system.
« on: November 22, 2013, 03:46:20 pm »
I have seen Atomic22 mentioned a few times in various posts on the forum. I was looking for a way of protecting some of the more valuable bits on my bike before heading off on an extended tour including Eastern Europe and the Balkans. I had used Pitlocks for my wheels but after buying a Plug 11 and seeing how easy they are to fit and remove I wanted something to protect that.

I came across Atomic22 and bought 2 sets of skewers and headset locking bolts with the same key for my bike and my wifes. I thought that fellow tourers would be interested so I have posted a review on my blog http://www.cycling-nomads.com/silk-road/atomic22-bicycle-security/ The system is not cheap but very well engineered and it is very easy to use. Atomic22 are a small British firm and offer excellent service and very interested in developing systems to improve bike security.

I think it is an excellent way to protect your bike, particularly expensive components such as hub dynamos, Rohloff hubs and Plug 11s.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
Re: Atomic22 component locking system.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 12:47:36 pm »
Bill

Thanks for the Atomic 22 review. It was your review that sparked me into thinking about a head-set bolt to secure The Plug II. I assumed the head of the bolt would be too big to fit so it is good to see the photo on your blog.

I am thinking about the skewers but happy with the Pitlocks so far. That may change if I buy a new Andra CSS and SON Klassik dynamo for the front wheel!

I have been sending a few emails back and forward to Atomic 22 re. bolt size and length. I currently have a 60mm hex head-set bolt fitted. I think they can supply 50mm or 55mm threaded bolts.

How long is the Atomic 22 head-set bolt that you have fitted?

Richard

cycling-nomad

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 04:54:03 pm »
Hi Richard,

I have a 50mm threaded bolt. I find the system easier to use than the Pitlocks. Getting the skewers off particularly with a front rack fitted is very easy and you haven't got small serrated washers to lose.

Bill

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 09:14:06 pm »
Bill

Thanks for the info. After a few emails back and forth with Atomic 22, I received this reply ...

Thank you. That should be fine but we will have to supply a topcap bolt with a slim head (to prevent gripping) which means it will need a different key to the skewers. The key for the Plug would apply to parts that require low torque eg stem faceplate bolts, etc but is too low for the skewers unfortunately.

It looks like the skewers and head-set bolt will require 2 different keys due to the size of the head-set bolt. Is this your experience using both the Atomic 22 head-set bolt and skewers?

Richard

cycling-nomad

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 10:42:41 am »
Hi Richard,

sorry for the speed of my reply, we have been cycling through Albania. Really interesting country and lovely people. Unfortunately didn't make it into the mountains because winter has arrived.

I am not sure what Atomic22 meant, I have the same key that fits both my headset bolt and the skewers and it works fine. I will check with Atomic.

Bill

cycling-nomad

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 02:04:48 pm »
Richard,
I checked with Atomic. They seemed to think you wanted a bolt head thickness of 3mm.

The locking bolt they supplied me fits fine and the Plug 11 plus looks good as well as being nice and secure.

Now wintering on Halkidiki, just come back from a beautiful ride in bright sunshine.

cycling4chapatis

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 10:25:47 am »
Hi there,

been reading through the various atomic22/pitlock threads. Pricey business, similar to the insurance premium!

We've been using the pentagonal (5-sided) hex(-1!) key skewers:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/trans-x-quick-release-skewer-set-with-special-key-theft-protection-for-130mm-100mm-oln-hubs-black-prod12782/

We had them on our European/ African tourers and have had them on our two commuter road bikes. As with all things safety, obviously don't loose your keys, but we carried 3, different places, long red string on each, not a worry.

Tension - two-finger tight (as tight as you can get it just using 2 fingers....).

Anyone use these?

How long a QR skewer do you need for a Nomad? Standard 100/130mm front/back ok?

We're not trying to make it urban-theft proof, just wildcamping-in-the-dark-sleeping-tight-knowing-that-if-the-frame-is-safe-the-wheels-will-be-ok-safe.

Cheers,
c4c

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 05:23:53 pm »
How long a QR skewer do you need for a Nomad? Standard 100/130mm front/back ok?
I believe my Nomad's real OLN spacing is 135mm and I think that is the same for all. This is something you may wish to check with Thorn/SJSC when you pick up your bikes.

Best,

Dan.

cycling-nomad

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 09:10:26 pm »
I have been using the atomic22 system now for over a year on our tour through Eastern Europe and now the Middle East. I have been really pleased with it and have added seatpost and saddle bolts to it. It is great to see a small British company produce an excellent system that helps secure your bike at no weight penalty. http://www.cycling-nomads.com/silk-road/atomic22-bicycle-security/

il padrone

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 10:03:49 am »
A new variation on the theme, coming out on Kickstarter - the Nutlock. It claims to have 37 nut variations and is going to sell for a lot less $$$ than the Atomic or even the Pitlocks.

Templogin