Author Topic: Rohloff hub for sale , new. Questionable  (Read 2727 times)

onrbikes

Rohloff hub for sale , new. Questionable
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:42:00 am »
Have spotted this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331065834869?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649on Ebay (Australia) and after trying unsuccessfully to get some answers am assuming its a scam.
No history and everything for sale has only generic photos.
The hub has two photos so which one is for sale?

I did have an issue once with a dud seller and neither Ebay or Paypal would help. In the end it was my bank that fixed the issue.

I couldn't help myself and have bid as it is near me and stated I'd pick up and pay.
Just to make sure

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Rohloff hub for sale , new. Questionable
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 07:23:06 am »
I so hope this works out well for you, Fred.

Fingers crossed for luck!  

Did you use PayPal? It offers some additional protections. I have my PayPal account setup to bill my credit card, so if PayPal fails, I still have the protection offered by my card issuer.

Please let us know how you fare.

Best,

Dan. (...who is hoping for the best for you)

onrbikes

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 09:18:39 am »
Looks like someone got it for $435 plus postage .

I seriously had my doubts and stopped bidding. All the other items he had also looked suspect.
Still no replies from my queries.

in4

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:56:45 am »
I noticed that the second photo was of a different coloured hub with the EX box. Quacks like a duck, looks like a duck...must be a duck then.

rualexander

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 05:28:01 pm »
I noticed that the second photo was of a different coloured hub with the EX box. Quacks like a duck, looks like a duck...must be a duck then.

The advert does state the following :

" We offer different configurations:

Hollow axle for use with a quick release lever. This axle is shown on the red hub .

Solid axle with axle nuts M10x1. This axle is shown on the silver hub.

Disc or rim brake"

onrbikes

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:42:22 pm »
So that would mean that there should be more for sale.
They would have at least had a , 'buy it now' price.

All the details were just pasted from elsewhere.

These may have fallen off the back of a Rohloff delivery truck.
The advert as well said Rohloff Hubspeedhub

onrbikes

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 08:37:02 pm »
So after a week the Rohloff sold and now Ebay has contacted me and said,
We do our best to make sure listings that may not comply with our policies don't appear on eBay, but with millions of items listed every day, occasionally one may appear on our site.

The most common reasons we remove listings are:
-- The item isn't allowed on eBay or can only be listed under certain conditions.
-- The listing or item may have violated the intellectual property rights of others.

What to do now:

If you won the item and haven't paid yet:
-- This transaction is now canceled. You don't need to pay for the item.
-- If the seller offers the item outside eBay, don't accept the offer. Transactions completed off eBay are not protected by our Feedback system or Buyer Protection programs. For more information on transactions outside of eBay see:

So as suspected, it was too good to be true.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 08:58:25 pm »
I had two cases, both concerning Apple gear, where someone was offering the goods at a price to be too good to be true, and after I ordered and paid, in one case the seller returned my money voluntarily and in the other Paypal made good the payment. In both cases these guys were selling the goods they didn't have yet in the expectation of a new product's price falling quickly below their offer price, and then the price didn't fall fast enough. Irritating, and it ties up your money for several weeks, but Ebay and Paypal are pretty good about paying out, and if they fail, your credit company can recover the money from Paypal.