Author Topic: Retaining ring on twist shifter grip  (Read 2388 times)

snoogly

Retaining ring on twist shifter grip
« on: August 06, 2023, 02:06:26 am »
Oh Lordy!

I am trying to refit the metal retaining ring for the rubber shifter grip. So far I have bleeding knuckles and a hole in my finger. :-(

The Rohloff video makes it look so easy, just three ‘clicks’ with a screwdriver, and it’s on again. All I can do is get one end of the ring on, and as soon as I try to clip the middle on the end comes off - the screwdriver slips, and more blood …

Is there a secret method I don’t know about? I must have tried over 100 times now, and I am no closer to getting the clip on.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 03:17:10 am by snoogly »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Retaining ring on twist shifter grip
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 06:26:40 am »
Hi Snoogly!

Have you watched this video?...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP5N0sBlztk
...it is the same method I used successfully to easily change my grip and re-secure the circlip.

The "trick" I employed was to place one end of the clip in the groove (and held it in place with a finger), then the other end of the clip and finally used the screwdriver to "help" the center over the lip of the groove, causing the rest of the ring to pop on.

Hopefully helpful!

Best, Dan.

snoogly

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 06:45:44 am »
Infuriatingly that video was my starting point, but for more hours than I can count it has been mocking me :-(

Nothing works. However hard I try to secure an end, it always pops off as soon as I move to the middle.

I tried widening the clip with pliers - no difference.

I tried heating it - just burned fingers :-(

Absolutely nothing works.

30C inside temp and 94% humidity doesn’t help, and my Budgie has been pecking the scabs off my knuckles!

I can’t believe I’m the only person to have suffered such hell …
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 06:53:56 am by snoogly »

snoogly

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 10:03:41 am »
This morning, on the third day of the saga, I got the retaining ring on! I’m not happy with the design :-(

Quite a disruption having the bike in the bedroom all that time, but I made the most of it today by fitting new shifter cables, and added rinko-friendly pop-off pedals.

Still more projects to be completed though, until the bedroom is back to just sleeping. An eight year refurb and tweaking binge!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 12:35:20 pm »
Hi Snoogly!

The bike refurb looks wonderful!

Out of curiosity, what turned the tide on the retaining ring? I was about to write and ask if the grip was pushed fully home during your attempts....

So glad the battle is over and won for you.  :)

Best, Dan.

PH

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 01:16:30 pm »
added rinko-friendly pop-off pedals.
MKS Allways?  Interested how you get on with those, I'm considering some for my folder, though it's a hefty investment!

snoogly

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 09:42:51 pm »
added rinko-friendly pop-off pedals.
MKS Allways?  Interested how you get on with those, I'm considering some for my folder, though it's a hefty investment!

Yes, Allways. At least here in Japan they are a similar price to ‘normal’ pedals. I got them for two reasons: Less damage to my ankles when squeezing pass the bike in its cramped storage room. A less bulky blob when I carry the bike on trains in a very primitive and DIY rinko bag.

It’s a shame they only did one production run of the SPD/flat pedals. They decided there isn’t enough demand for a rinko two-type pedal, which isn’t really a surprise as all you need to do is pop off flats and pop on SPD. But unfortunately MKS spd rinko pedals are thin on the ground.