Author Topic: Raven Sport Tour  (Read 17687 times)

Fred A-M

Raven Sport Tour
« on: May 15, 2006, 05:53:44 pm »
I've been browsing the forum for a little while, having parted with just over £1500 for a Sport Tour at the end of March 2006: it seems to me that there a few Sport Tour owners out there who could do with their own thread, seemingly rebuffed in somewhat egocentric from contributing to another thread, so here goes.....

To cut to the chase and to eliminate obsessively pouring over every detail since I've owned an RST, I'm about to embark on Friday forthnight's 800 mile tour of Andalucia and the Sierra Nevada and am extremely excited at the prospect of being able to do this on the RST.

I've probably racked up about 600 miles on it thus far through the Yorkshire Dales, the Chilterns and commuting in London and the conclusions I've come to so far are -

It is an incredibly comfortable and responsive ride - I'd had misgivings about opting for a non-suspension steel frame and was determined to have a hybrid-style touring bike: the Sports Tour was the only bike that seemed to fit the bill.  However, having subsequently ridden my aluminium suspension frame, I am truly shocked at the the lack of responsiveness of the alluminuim frame which I've "endured" on tours of Cuba, the Hebrides, the Picos, the Pyrenees and the Massif Central - The RST has truely shifted my expectations.  Without having been on a major tour as yet, I can readily conclude that I feel much less tired on the RST and that it is easily as comfortable as a alluminium suspended frame.

The Rohloff gear range is more than adequate - I finally opted for 44 X 16 (SJS kindly forgiving my naivety in replacing the 38 ring that I'd over-cautiously opted for with the Sierra Neveda in mind, not properly having done my gear ratio research!) Gears 1 & 2 were more than adequate to get me up lengthy gradients of 25% in the Dales (fully loaded!), and if anything, I'll probably get a 48T (or larger?) front chain ring as I'll dipping my toe into the world of Audax on returning from Spain.  

As for the Rohloff unit itself, it takes a little getting used to the characteristics of the certain gears, especially the "exercise bike feel" of an unworn 7th, but I think I'm slowly being won over by the idea that Rohloff is THE way to go for touring.   Having no immediate plans to stalk wildlife in 7th, I'm reassured that it does actually seem to be quietening as I approach the 1000km mark.  Given its reputation for being trouble-free and reliable, I'm anticipating coming back from the Sierra Nevada with a glowing report.  

The RST certainly feels fast.  I'm no speed merchant and for touring purposes, I've no real need to get to pedal above the 25/30 mph mark but just downhill freewheeling, it certainly picks up the pace: I guess I'll be able comment more once I've managed a little more tour cycling in wind-free conditions with a working odometer (anyone else had a less than satisfactory experience with the new VDO digital series, I had to swap mine out for a radio controlled Cateye!?)

Above all however, I feel feel truly privileged to own such a distinctive attractive and stylish bicycle (it turned a few heads in Yorkshire so it will be interesting to see what the Spanish cycling fraternity make of it!) which has already given me considerable riding pleasure.  Having bought it "blind" under SJS's persuassive 100 day money-back guarantee, I did initially feel apprehensive about but the wisdom of my decision, there hasn't since been a moment where I have considered taking SJS up on their generous terms and the best is still to come.  More when I get back in early June: hopefully there'll be a Sport Tour community evolving because, in my opinion, more people should know about this bike!    

PH

Re: Raven Sport Tour
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 04:06:59 pm »
Sounds good Fred, but where's the photos[;)]

Fred A-M

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 04:35:45 pm »
All in good time PH! [8D] Just got the digital fixed (it broke in Cuba!) so hopefully I'll be able to post a couple of pics in suitably resplendent/dramatic locations e.g at the summit of the Mulhacen.  For the record though, I'd recommend going for the matt black frame (the finish is superb) and a black finish on the Rohloff!

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 04:57:39 pm »
I too own a Raven Sport Tour – an excellent choice by the way.  

When I bought the frame (I made the bike up myself) I have to admit it was mainly to allow me to uses the Rohloff hub.  2 weeks later I was amazed by the performance of the frame itself – its outstanding.  It achieves all my needs as a fast day to day road bike and also as a touring bike.

All the review of the Raven Tour & Raven Sport Tour concentrate on the Rohloff.  That’s a shame as it’s the frame that the incredible part.

Incidentally
If your gearing is 16 * 44 your speed range is 4.0 to 21.6 mph (at 70 cadence)
If you up to 16 * 48 you min and max become 4.4 to 23.6 (at 70 cadence)

Fred A-M

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 11:19:58 am »
Couldn't agree more about the frame and the RST's all-round all-purpose suitability Stutho.  You mention reviews of the Thorn Raven Sports Tour but I've not been able to find any dedicated reviews on the web: a number of reviews refer to the Raven Tour with just fleeting mention to the RST. I'd certainly be interested to read any dedicated reviews.

Given that the RST would appear to have the potential to corner a very specific niche in the market (fast & light touring, nothing remotely similar that I could see out there) and as far as I'm aware, its been available for at least 6 months, I'm really surprised at this apparent lack of reviews.  Hence the reason that I thought it needed a dedicated forum thread.  In view of the abundant enthusiasm and affection that owners seem to have for their RSTs, I'm also surprised a dedicated thread hadn't been started sooner in this forum.

Thanks for the info on the chain ring sizes: speedwise, I was of course refering to pedalling those long wind-assisted gentle downhill descents rather than having any pretensions to being a TDF candidate!  

BTW, does anyone have helpful tips on gauging just how tightly to tighten the eccentric chain adjuster bolts? ...having read that you can dent the casing if you tighten them too much, I'd found that one of mine had become loose (fortunately the other hadn't), with potentially disastrous consequences for the frame I understand!

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 09:56:26 am »
how tightly to tighten the eccentric chain adjuster bolts?

10 - 17NM

I bough a torque wrench / screwdriver on Ebay for exactly this purpose.  All the bolts on my bike have been set to the correct values.  Without a Torque wrench I would recommend using a very LARGE Screwdriver (or T Handle) rather than a spanner or wrench as you are likely to produce far too much torque from these.

PS if you do buy a torque Wrench / screwdriver make sure it will cover the range you need for a bike, 4 - 16NM should cover nearly everything. Most don't go this low!

Fred A-M

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 01:06:47 pm »
Cheers Stutho, the loose nut has occured again, this time on the road in the Sierra so I´ve tightened it just that little bit more and it seems to done the trick this time but checking it every half day for the mo in case it occurs again.  

The Raven Sports Tour has been a revelation on the poorly maintained mountain roads of the Sierra Morena (amazing location for cycle touring, as close to total escapism into the wilderness as you´ll get in western Europe by my reckoning).   The handling remains as awesome as ever, copes will a full (recommonded) load extremely well, and combined with the excellent braking of the Deore LX brakes, feel totally confident haring down those long S-bend descents.  Not really taken it off-road yet (partly because I´m unsure what Thorn mean by "light off-roading capability") though given the state of some of the roads out here, I guess I may well have been.  

I´m now fully persuaded by the Rohloff too (tho I do still wish it made a little less noise in 7th though), the difference that it its reliable changing makes to long climbs is very noticeable, much easier to maintain a good momentum.  More when I get back, heading towards Granada (indirectly) the Sierra Nevada now from Cordoba!

PH

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 02:40:55 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Fred A-M

BTW, does anyone have helpful tips on gauging just how tightly to tighten the eccentric chain adjuster bolts? ...having read that you can dent the casing if you tighten them too much, I'd found that one of mine had become loose (fortunately the other hadn't), with potentially disastrous consequences for the frame I understand!

I wouldn't worry about putting dents into the EBB casing, it isn't a problem.  It does stop you making superfine adjustment, but these aren't necessary to keep the chain tension within the permitted range.  I had a look at an old tandem EBB, it had the indents pre drilled, the owners have done thousands of trouble free miles.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 04:57:39 pm »
I agree with PH don't worry too much about it (OK so I bought a Torque wrench - but its not required) Just don’t muscle those bolts with a  big wrench.

The EBB is designed to be dented so dent away!!

Good luck with the rest of your tour
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 04:59:13 pm by stutho »

Wild

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 11:19:32 pm »
Hello Fred.  How are you getting on with the 44x16 gearing?  Do you find that the ratios give you what you want when you need a turn of speed, and on the hills too?  Is the ride as comfortable as you have experienced on any of your previous bikes?  When you ordered the bike, did you opt for the 'Relaxed', 'Sporty' or 'Racing' position? I am wondering whether to go for the 'Raven Sport Tour' or the 'Raven Tour'. I will not be riding with much added weight on the majority of rides.  Most of my riding will be on the road. I do want a bike that is robust however, and capable of some light off road work.  Any comments would be appreciated greatly.  Hope you enjoy the Sierra Nevada.

Fred A-M

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 04:27:23 pm »
Greetings from Granada

I´m not sure what set-up they gave me as I didn´t specify: they just set the bike up to the measurements I supplied.   The RST is certainly more comfortable than any previous bikes I´ve owned (see above)   Ref the 44 X 16, I guess its v much dependent on the terrain covered.  Andalucia declines to do "flat", the most unrelentingly undulating tour (but not the most mountainous, yet!) I´ve ever done and I´ve found the 44 X 16 set up pretty much perfect for that purpose: got me up every climb so far, only occassionally resorting to the granny gear on long steep climbs when feeling exceptionally shagged.  Am assuming my legs are now sufficiently conditioned, I expect the ratio to get me comfortably around the Sierra Nevada and Alpajurras prior to attempting Pico Veleta(?)road pass (gravel road leading to summit) at 10,000ft approx, so with 12 kgs packed on the back, I´m wondering about its light off-road suitability too. But it´s certainly handled a great number of rough roads well.

Ref Comfortable, still not entirely sure whether the flat handle bars with extensions was the best choice but one thing I don´t like are the stubbly handle bar grips supplied by SJS; you get sore pressure points on the palms if riding in the same position for any length of time but the right one has now worn due consistently shifting and my right palm experiencing sufficiently less discomfort.  

Cycling down a gentle incline you´ll hit 25-30 mph, but whether you define that as a turn of speed or not, you doubtless no better than me but am happy that "limitation" if it is one.  Hope this helps!

Wild

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 06:21:03 pm »
Many thanks Fred.  That has helped me a great deal.  good luck with the rest of the tour.

Wild

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 06:23:05 pm »
Many thanks Fred.  That has helped me a great deal.  good luck with the rest of the tour.

Fred A-M

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 05:21:18 pm »
Just a few final thoughts on having taken the Sport Tour 600 miles around the unrelenting hills and mountains of Andalucia: simply awesome!

First and foremost, the Rohloff gears are superb for the relentless ripping up and down through the gears that this sort of landscape requires and and also for being able to engage the correct gear just that little bit faster than with standard gears.  Combined with the even spacing, I found it noticeably easier to maintain momentum through constant ups and down or for long climbs containing varying gradients.

Just to reiterate previous postings, the handling and comfort of the Sports Tour is excellent, even on the persistently shockingly poor road surfaces that I covered for considerable distances in the Sierra Morena.  In these conditions, I found it to be as least comfortable as a fork and seat suspended aluminium frame, lighter and much more responsive in terms of handling.  My only ocassional concern was on fast descents into strong headwinds when the bike did feel a bit wobbly, almost too responsive and I had to concentrate pretty hard if I happened to be on a busy road.  To what degree this was partly due to having a handle bar bag and no front panniers, I'm unsure. Other comments appreciated.

Whether this Sports Tour is actually a fast bike, I can't as yet provide any scientific testimony because I haven't actually yet ridden any of my habitual training circuits in normal conditions.  Certainly, I find that the Rohloff hub allows for quicker and easier acceleration due to the ease of quickly selecting gears and on my initial ride, I also immediately shaved 5 mins off a ride I would have expected to cover in 45 mins.  I also feel more at ease going faster downhill due to the excellent handling and freewheeling, it certainly picks up the pace very quickly.    

However on tour, I was doing some the longest 50/60 mile days I've ever clocked up but cannot stress enough that I perceive this being due to the total absence of any flat stretches and the general severity of landscape contours.  I expect to do a quick 40 mile stint over the Essex Rodings within the next couple of weekends so I'll report back then if I notice any improvement.    

Finally - off road, although I think Stutho's given a pretty comprehensive assesment indicating that the Sport will cope with more than "light" off-roading (an off road thrashing by the sounds of it!), I thought I'd chip in with my experience of riding up the highest recognised mountain pass in Western Europe (Pico Veleta, Sierra Nevada) with 12kgs of luggage, my only off-roading of the tour.  Again the Sports Tour handled well over the habitually absymal tarmac road and then gravelled/dirt track.  

When I reached 9,500 ft though, I took exception to the term "cyclable" used by the authors of an otherwise excellent cycling guide to define the rock-strewn track to the summit.  Certain stretches, particularly if you were going uphill with luggage, certainly weren't, consisting solely of stretches of mountain rock debris. Whilst not ever really having done any serious off-roading, I found it hard to envisage even the most serious suitably equipped hardcore off-road enthusiast getting over these.  

The rest of the track generally had so many loose rocks that you could only proceed with extreme caution given the steep drops running trackside.  Whilst the laden Sports Tour with Sun Rims and Panracer tyres (yes I know!) seem to cope well with an very uneven surface, I soon became fed up of dismounting and mounting for uncyclable sections and also concentrating solely on rock-avoidance rather than absorbing the breathtaking views; so I walked most of the remaining 4 or so miles to the summit of approx 10,300ft, which at that altitude actually felt like harder work than cycling.

The 30 mile winding descent back into Granada was rewarding to say the least, wide open smooth traffic free asphalt for the mostpart.  Covered at about 30-35mph, it was pretty much as enjoyable an experience you can get in terms cycling experience and all the better for being on a Raven Sports Tour!

Photos to follow!      

Fred A-M

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 03:07:07 pm »
Picture added as above!