Author Topic: Bike locks  (Read 19375 times)

marcg

Bike locks
« on: November 29, 2003, 07:50:14 am »
I'm trying to find information about the best bike locks.  I have seen a report which said that the Squire Paramount gave the best protection.  The report was about 4 years old.  Any comments on this? (The lock of course - not the age of the report!)

ian__white@hotmail.com

Re: Bike locks
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 02:45:43 pm »
My 2p's worth: I have used a "Squire Paramount" on my bicycle for circa 6 years
and it is great. I prefer its type of lock mechanism. I use it to lock front wheel + frame to something solid, and use a "Dutch"/"horse-shoe" made by AXA/ASSA and bought in Netherlands to lock to lock rear wheel to frame

I also have a "Squire Paramount Plus" that I use on my motorbike,
but I don't like it as much because it is encased in cheap brittle plastic

claudebutler

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 04:26:09 pm »
My first post on this forum, so please forgive any transgressions...

I've always used either Kryptonite or ABUS U locks and not lost a bike .  However, some years ago I had one stolen when secured with a ' no brand ' U lock ( the tea leaf cut the lock off), and another when locked with a conventional padlock and chain ( chain was sawn through )  This was about 20 years ago when bike theft wasn't so prevalent (so we're told...) but is the reason I switched to U locks.

My wife has a Citadel  U lock which she bought in 1981  and still has her original bike...

Cycling Plus did a review of locks a few issues ago which may help.

Chris Land

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 09:24:21 am »
Yep - Abus Granit or a Cryptonite New York.  Both are available as a D-lock or a chain. The chains are reputedly stronger as the links are harder to cut with a grinder (can't get purchase), but much heavier so less good unless you can leave them in situ (e.g. at work).  I have the New York D-lock which is great, but the shackle is shorter than the Abus so not as useful if you want to lock to unusual street furniture or remove the front wheel and lock it to the back.

Of course, always try to fill the shackle as that makes access harder.  The worst thing about a good lock is if some scally comes along, sticks a scaffold-bar in your lock to try to bend it and damages your bike that way...

Of course, nothing will stop a determined thief with cutting equipment, but what can you do?

Some useful discussions on this on the C+ website...

marcg

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 05:38:36 am »
Where is the C+ website?

Cephas

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 11:15:47 am »
quote:
Originally posted by marcg

Where is the C+ website?

http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk

Stijn

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 12:26:41 pm »
I’m Dutch and have lived 12 years in Amsterdam, which doesn’t make me a know all. However I never had a bike stolen in Amsterdam, were it is said that “on average” every bike has illegally changed hands 8 times (believe it or not). So maybe my 2 pennies, tip in, on the locks topic might interest you.

Three locks mentioned in this thread so far have been:

The Dutch “horse shoe” AXA lock. This is the most commonly used lock in the Netherlands, out side of places like Amsterdam. Why? Because they are very convenient, permanently fixed to a bike. But they have a lot of down sides too. It’s very easy to walk away with a bike locked with one, just lift up the back wheel. It takes anybody 5 minutes to break one open with two strong pliers. I’ve done it several times  (keys lost and for friends) and am not a strong guy. The key is permanently attached to the lock when unlocked.

The Abus Granit, is in my opinion the best lock on the market for general bike locking. My bike never got nicked using one.  It’s got a complicated reliable car door type key, not easy to make a “one fit all” copy for. The U is locked at two sides, great build quality. If applied through the frame onto a solid piece of street furniture, your frame will not get nicked, in one piece at least, that is. ;)

Kryptonite New York seems like a good lock. But  I don’t like the round, security lock, type keys. They don’t provide as good a leverage when opening/closing, and get easily clogged up with street muck. I spend to much time standing in the cold trying to open locks when the key wouldn't turn. It’s even heavier then the Abus Granit.

Anyway what ever lock you have. My two rules strategy for not getting your bike nicked, would be:

1- Lock your bike onto something solid
2- Lock your bike next to a similar bike which is locked worse.

In all honesty I feel the ideal bike lock is not available on the market today. It should be a small (=lighter) size Abus Granit U lock, which will just slip around a front wheel though the bike frame. This will then allow a couple of cables to lock the rear wheel and a lamp post to be attached to the same lock. These cables are in reality quite hard to cut unless you have a bolt cutter. Even if a thieve managed to get rid of the cables he would still need an angle grinder to get through the U lock. Or he could try and walk of with a front wheel locked bike, which is a bit awkward then lifting a rearwheel. (try it some time. ;) )

Let me know if you’ve seen the above “Dream lock” for sale.

Cheers,

Stijn

Stijn

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 12:40:54 pm »

marcg

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 05:14:02 pm »
I agree that the AXA dutch horseshoe lock is a great lock.  Not completely secure, but very convenient and as part of a general lock defence system it is great.  Defnitley good for the quick 3 miniute dash into the shop and also adds another level of complication thieves when the bike is locked up for a period of time.

ian__white@hotmail.com

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 08:01:43 pm »
Before you consider the Kryptonite Evolution 2000
(and possibly other similar barrel-type locks)
you might like to see this video of one being trivially "cracked"

http://www.engadget.com/entry/7796925370303347/

And see the discussion in this forum

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=67493&highlight=lock

marcg

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 07:27:13 am »
You may also want to read the discussion on the apparent Bic pen vulnerability on the Cycling Plus website as well.
In fact this story has been going on for a long time - several years and for some reason has been revived.  Krytponite have just offered replacement locks for anyone with the round key type if they are not satisfied with them.
What I find very interesting is that there is not a single person on the Cycling PLus forum who has managed to open their lock with a pen as described or who directly knows anyone who has.  I've tried it with my own lock and haven't managed it either but I have broken several pens trying it.
I haven't read the bike forums discussion but how many of those contributors have managed to open their lock in this way?
Although Kryptonite have offered replacements, I suspect that maybe this is more a question of good public relations than anything else.

thomasb

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 11:22:32 am »
Hiya Marc

I've had a Squire Paramount for nearly ten years. It's a bit battered but never had anything nicked (live in inner-city Manchester; ride mid-range tourers or unattractive hacks). Also got a £30 Abus which is fine - lighter and key action is smoother.

Hope this helps

Stijn

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 04:59:00 pm »
The 2004 model Kryptonite... EV 2000 Mini no longer has the round key type, but the same type of key as the Abus Granit. I haven't found a shop who sells them yet though. I guess they can't get rid of the old stock. ;)

Cheers,

Stijn

JonHammond

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2005, 12:27:49 pm »
I bought an ABUS Sinus ("U" shackle) along with my bike about 6½ years ago.  It's a strongish beast with a centrally positioned keyway and a flat key, and both ends of the shackle actually lock.  A big plus for me was the offset mounting bracket that enables it to be positioned on the side of the seat tube and parallel with the back wheel, leaving the centre triangle free of clutter.

Several people have mentioned Dutch "horseshoe" locks that fit permanently to the bike frame and lock the rear wheel.  Well, I've finally managed to get one.  It's an AXA SL7, it's available in England, and it's brilliant!  One source is a firm called (now what was it?  Ah yes...) St John Street Cycles.  If you buy it from these chaps they charge a little more than some other places, BUT they throw in the dedicated cable attachment for free.  This just clips into the lock itself, and enables you to secure your bike to some convenient fixed object. True, it's not going to be the strongest lock in the world, but for short-stay convenience it's hard to beat.