Author Topic: Derby city centre  (Read 16136 times)

PH

Derby city centre
« on: May 05, 2006, 08:05:18 pm »
Spotted 05/05/06 - New looking drop bar Raven Sport, red with black Rohloff and Schmidt.  Gleaming in the sunshine, looked very very nice.  The only Raven I've seen in Derby, except mine[:)]

Andy B

Re: Derby city centre
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 05:44:32 pm »
That was mine! - Only 6 days old when you saw it.
I've never seen another Raven in Derby - PH, you must hide yours!

Very pleased with it so far - my main 'complaint' is tyre noise; having been used to 700 x 28's on my old trusty steed which had done 16 years service, the 1.5 inch Panaracers do roar a bit.
I was also used to down-tube levers, so have no problem at all with the accessory bar-mounted shifter.

PH

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 05:43:03 pm »

Fame in the first week[;)]
I don't often take a bike into town as I live within easy walking distance.  It has been out for a few Audax and CTC rides and a years commuting to Burton and back, so hardly hidden.
I very nearly went for a similar spec to yours, but it would have been too similar to my other good bike, so I went for the rough tough go anywhere option.  It has proven to have been the right choice for me, but when I saw yours I must confess to a little twang of regret, it looks so good.
I have the same tyres as you I think, High Roads? I haven't noticed them being particularly loud, I probably will now you've mentioned it.
Just the right weather for getting used to it, I hope you’ve got some miles in.  I’ve been off the bike for a month following shoulder surgery, hopefully riding again some time next month.  I’ll have some catching up to do.

my bike

Grimian

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 08:25:28 pm »
PH ........ hope you're back on your bike soon ..... saw your pic and I like it! the colour looks great [8D]

You seem to have quite a large frame by the pic .... have you had it long and how do you find life with a Rohloff [?]

graham

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 08:47:30 pm »
Ah, some people with local knowledge of Derby.

Next month I've got to attend an overnight function with my employer at some hotel at east midlands airport which is, I believe, more or less Derby.
The evening event is a barbeque and shop talk with a lot of colleagues I'll probably never see again (we work from home and are spread all over the country). I'm vegetarian and burnt meat doesn't appeal much to me. So I thought I'd take my bike and go cycling instead.
Anyone know if there's a nice ride I could do of 20-30 miles starting somewhere near the hotel?

PH

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 03:40:03 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Grimian
You seem to have quite a large frame by the pic .... have you had it long and how do you find life with a Rohloff [?]

It is a big bike, I'm a big bloke[;)]
I think it's the largest size, I gave salesman the dimensions of a bike I had custom fitted and asked for the closest, after a bit of fettling and a change of stem it fits well.

I’ve had it since Dec 04, it’s just coming up to 9,000 miles.  I choose the bike and the spec for a very specific purpose.  I was commuting 26+ miles a day, some of it along gravel tracks, a lot of it in the dark.  I was prepared to pay what it would cost over a year if I didn’t cycle, but no more. It’s fulfilled its function perfectly and so much more.  I didn’t think it would be so much fun to ride. It handles like it’s on rails, I can load it up with 4 panniers without it making much difference, it’s pretty capable off road (more capable than the rider, hence the shoulder[B)]) and at all times it’s extremely comfortable.  I’ve even used it for a couple of 200k audax rides when my other bike was indisposed, it was a bit slower, but not as much as I would have expected  The hub itself has been as faultless as hoped, I’ve done three oil changes and am still on the same chain.  I was a bit fanatical at first about chain tension, adjusting it every couple of weeks, since Thorn updated the info in the handbook I’ve been more relaxed about it.   I was advised by an experienced Rohloff owner to change the oil as soon as the initial breaking in period was over, it was good advice, it made it very smooth.  The noise never bothered me and it’s now quieter than a derailleur in 12 gears.
It’s not my favourite bike, riding to work is not my favourite sort of riding.  If I’m ever in need of another fun bike (Unlikely as the one I’ve got should last a lifetime) it would be a Rohloff.  Your bike shows what can be done if you decide not to compromise, I like it, though it’s not what I’d choose  it’s got me dreaming about what I would.

PH

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 04:02:25 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by graham
Anyone know if there's a nice ride I could do of 20-30 miles starting somewhere near the hotel?

The airport is about 10 miles from Derby and about 15 from Leicester. There are plenty of quiet lanes in the area and the Sustrans NCN Route 6 passes within 2 miles.  Turning north would take you to Derby, all off road, well surfaced, suitable for all but the most delicate road bikes, only one barrier to get off at.  Turning south the first town you’d reach is Loughborough on a mix of off road sections and quiet lanes.  Going along the route to Loughborough, then following the villages on the banks of the river Soar and back through Castle Donnington would make a pleasant 25ish mile route.

Andy B

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 05:14:30 pm »
Graham - Routes from East Midlands airport could also take you south west of NCR6, around Ticknall, Calke Abbey (National trust, extensive parkland free to cyclists and open until 8pm), then up to Stanton by Bridge  and Swarkestone where there is an ancient causeway (a quick Google will give you the history).
If you like real ale, you could take in the John Thompson brewpub at Ingleby, on the banks of the river Trent (a couple of miles west of Stanton).
You could then pick up NCR 6 again at Swarkestone - follow the road towards Derby and you should see it signposted before you cross the canal.
Hope this helps.

Grimian

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 05:20:56 pm »
quote:
If I’m ever in need of another fun bike (Unlikely as the one I’ve got should last a lifetime) it would be a Rohloff. Your bike shows what can be done if you decide not to compromise, I like it, though it’s not what I’d choose it’s got me dreaming about what I would.

You've got to follow your dream [;)] Yes the Rohloff you already own should last a lifetime but why not have different bikes for different styles of ride [?] If you can, GO FOR IT! [:)]

So tell me PH, what would be your dream bike ..... no compromises [?]

graham

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 07:54:36 pm »
I studied Mechanical Engineering at Loughborough in the early '80s. I suppose I should go back and have a look at the old place. I'll look up Sustrans route 6 and study the maps. Actually thinking about it, my favourite place when I was there was beacon hill, a bit to the west. Maybe I'll put that into the route.
Thanks, lads.

PH

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 12:47:39 am »
quote:

So tell me PH, what would be your dream bike ..... no compromises [?]

Too hard to be specific, what I'd choose today might be different tomorrow and I haven't done your reaserch.
It would be the light end of touring, 700c wheels, drop bars and of course a Rohloff. I really fancy building the frame on one of Dave Yates frame building courses, old fashioned lugged frame with chrome ends.  On the other hand maybe titanium...
It isn’t going to happen any time soon, the bikes I have now are more than good enough for their purpose and I'd rather spend my money on cycling than cycles.  But we can all dream and maybe one day...