Technical > General Technical

Helmets

<< < (2/2)

Peter Gathergood:
The 'Why Cycle' website has a good section on helmets in general - see www.whycycle.co.uk/safety-helmets.htm.
My golden rule advice for you - make sure it fits.

James:
A good fit and ventilation is the most important and generally 'you get what you pay for'.

PeLu:
I like the Reevu with the built in mirror. But try it first if it suits your bicycling style, they do not work with drop handlebars (but there should be a different model next year or so). The rest (fit and ventilation) of them is like the better helmets I had.

Chris Land:
quote:Originally posted by tynevalleycommuter

I really think if some of the 'no-helmet' brigade actually tried a reasonable modern helmet they could be converted almost straight away.

Not that I am a card-carrying member of this particular brigade, but I have recently laid off wearing helmets quite so much as I used to.  I have had a couple of minor tips whilst commuting - once when a car turned left on me (my own fault as I pulled alongside at a ped-crossing[:I]) two on ice.  On no occasion was my head involved.  Of course, I do wear a helmet sometime, but in the summer I have noticed that a combination of over-heating and sweat in the eyes (even on a  relatively new lid, with good venting) is actually dangerous for my riding and certainly reduces comfort and cycling pleasure. In the trade-off I sometime go for helmet free.  

Of course, the statistics and relative dangers can be debates ad nauseum but at the end of the day it's what you feel confortable with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version