Author Topic: Rohloff EX Cable Change  (Read 2718 times)

EWS

Rohloff EX Cable Change
« on: April 30, 2006, 11:06:34 pm »
Hi All,

I've changed the bars on my EXP from road drops to MTB risers, and the cables and housing aren't quite long enough now.  So, I need to install new cables and housings for my External Shift Box Rohloff.  Are special cables and housing required, or can I use standard shifter cables and housing?

I've searched the net and everything is geared toward the internal shift  type.

Regards,
Eric

billj

Re: Rohloff EX Cable Change
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 05:58:16 am »
Hi Eric

I have just replace the cables on my EX rohloff with new Shimano XTR cables and housings.  The main reason was the cable drag on the rohloff cables was getting very stiff ie changing was getting difficult particularly changing down (ie to lower gear numbers).
The XTR cables have the same nipples as the rohloff ones (or as near as dammit anyway). The cables are the same diameter stainless but the housings are quite different, ie the liner (teflon) is built in instead of being separate like the rohloff cables. Also the shimano housing has longitudinal wires instead of the spiral on the rohloff cable, the housing is much stiffer.  The stainless end caps that come with the shimano housings fit into the rohloff shifter and EX Box well. I followed the instructions in the rohloff manual and it all went in fairly easily. the end result was very very marked improvement in the shifting, very much smoother and lighter than it was with the rohloff cables, a huge improvement.  So If you do have to change cables i would definitely consider this option as it seems to work much better than using original rohloff cables.  the only trick with changing is you need to be carefull cutting the cables, us some nice sharp 7" linemans cutters so you get a nice clean cut cos the holes the cables feed into in the EX box shifting wheel have very close toloerance and you cant have any fraying in the cable end or it wont go in.
I would be very interested if anyone else has changed shifter cables on their rohloff and found the same improvement as i have or any long term problems???