Author Topic: Tourguard Sidewalls  (Read 11958 times)

TonySmith

Tourguard Sidewalls
« on: April 26, 2006, 01:23:18 pm »
Last year I had to replace two TG 1.75s due to sidewall failures. In both cases I had plenty of warning and was able to get home but hated having to throw away tyres with plenty of tread left. They'd both done around 3000 miles at the time. Earlier in the year I had put 90psi in the rear for a camping tour and also suspect I scuffed the tyres a bit on a rocky bridleway.
 Since replacing them I've kept to tarmac and run the rear at 80psi, front at 70psi but have noticed a bit of cracking following the plys in the rear tyre. The official rating is 65 but apparently they're good for 90 so I don't think pressure is the problem and I've been careful not to scuff them. As this is the drive side rear I suppose it's possible chain oil has contaminated the casing but with mudguards and a hub gear I lose very little oil in the winter.
 I like these tyres - they feel light, fast and comfortable, grip well in all weathers, cope OK with a bit of gravel, mud or snow and seem almost impossible to puncture. For my purposes they're ideal apart from this one fault!
 I'm keeping an eye on the suspect tyre and hope it's just superficial but if it does develop into a problem I'd like to try something else. Any recommendations?
 Looking at SJSCs online shop the Conti sport contact 1.6 looks like a contender. I've heard the Marathon 1.5 is good too but the smallest listed is the 1.75 and that seems a bit heavy.

MattHodges

Re: Tourguard Sidewalls
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 11:42:22 pm »
What was it used on. 3000 miles sounds good to me on a tandem. Until I changed to Schwalbe Marathon XRs I had hardly ever had a tyre last 3000 miles on the back of the tandem. Now my Marathon XR has done over 5000 miles on the back and is still going strong.

mwhapples

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 12:36:54 am »
Tony, you said that there doesn't seem to be marathon 26x1.5 inch available, well other shops do say they have them in stock (one is www.wiggle.co.uk). I also have had a TG fail early  on a tandem (in my case very early), and having looked on the internet it seems like others have also had problems with these (particularly with tandems). You may have to try a few different tyres to find the comprimse of performance, and reliability of tyres that you are happy with (particularly with a tandem). As matt has said on a different list, you may loose the time you saved with those faster tyres when you need to repair a puncture.
Michael

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 07:16:08 am »
My Tourguards lasted 100 miles before a side wall split and puncture in the rear -dreadful tyres IMO.  They also pick lots of grit up in the fine treads.  I had to push half a mile to the nearest bike shop which is never easy with a flat rear tyre, but these were so thin i was in real danger of damaging the rim.  I know punctures are largely bad luck but it's Schwalbe marathons for me - the classic marathon is a good compromise in terms of weight and strength, and my last pair lasted 10,000 miles with only 3 punctures (one was a pinch due to underinflation, another was a freak encounter with a 2 inch screw).