Author Topic: Grey Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers a Stealthy Colour?  (Read 10991 times)

nztony

Grey Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers a Stealthy Colour?
« on: October 05, 2013, 03:10:20 pm »
Finally, I am only literally days away from placing an order for my Nomad MKII, most likely from Pure Sports here in New Zealand, thanks to NZPeterG's recommendation.
I've been thinking, saving, reading, researching, etc for the last 18 or so months, as I don't do these things in a hurry and don't like to be rushed, but now I am ready.

My question:  I'd love to have super bright, easily seen Ortlieb Back and Front Roller Classic panniers, for example in Yellow or even Orange, simply to help me be seen by motorists.
However I notice that about 95% of cyclists use Black Ortlieb Back Roller Classics, which I find a bit bland, but I know are good for stealth camping.

So, to add a small touch of colour (just) to my pannier choice, do forum readers consider the Grey Ortlieb colour a stealthy choice? (the silver looking grey colour is growing on me as an alternative to black.) I imagine I will most likely haul all my panniers into my green (and therefore hopefully stealthy!) tent, so I guess I could choose any colour! (as an aside I slept out in a very nice Hilleberg Soulo the other night, borrowed from a friend, but I've decided it is too small for me and my gear. The Macpac Minaret is looking a likely choice: http://www.macpac.co.nz/tents/trekking-tramping-hiking-tents/trekking-tramping-tent-minaret.html)

I will get a Ortlieb Rack Pack Medium in Yellow for my rear rack in the hope it will make me stand out and be highly visible, so I will have a splash of colour.

Very many thanks,
Tony
New Zealand.

P.S. Apologies for the way I spell "colour" throughout my entry, it's how we do it here in NZ. By all means reply with "color" when replying from elsewhere!

Andre Jute

Re: Grey Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers a Stealthy Colour?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 04:54:01 pm »
This is a British board. It just so happens that some very useful members are not British, so we forgive them spelling colour as color. You're in the majority, Tony!

I were in your fortunate position, I'd order the Nomad in road traffic sign yellow, and the Ortliebs in yellow, on the assumption that one's safety against large blunt moving objects is more important than the chance of being stolen from.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 04:58:23 pm »
Hi Tony!

Congratulations on the imminent purchase of your new Nomad Mk2! This is a wonderful time, full of excitement and intrigue as you decide what is best for your needs -- fun stuff!

I'm not sure if this will help as a data point, but here's my story:

I chose an all-black Nomad to aid stealthy camping. I'd wanted all-back Ortlieb bags all-'round for stealthiness while camped...and ended up with black-and-red 'cos they became available at such a great sale price it trumped all color choice and I decided saving money was a real priority. It's hard to argue with 70% price reductions!

Having bought the bright bags, then what wrt stealth camping?

My tent is green and I've found I can place all my bags out of sight under the small vestibule if necessary, effectively hiding them from sight and so drawing no more attention than the all-black bike and green tent alone would do. Also, the tent effectively blocks views for its entire length so if I wish, all I need do is line-up the bags on the off-side if the tent is parallel to a nearby road and they are also hidden. The same pretty much holds true in many circumstances if I leave them on the bike -- which is also parked behind the tent propped up by a Click-Stand or laid flat as need be. For my stealth camps, I often get off the road just enough to place a screen of brush between me and the roadway, dirt road, etc., so the tent is my main source of camouflage. It is all leaf-green with the head end black, so depending on circumstance and how late it is on arrival, the lot can be placed to best advantage. I only ever stay the night before moving on, so continued stealthiness in a given location isn't as important as hiding reflectors from car lights at night -- those Ortliebs include some very bright 3M Scotchlite patches!

My point is, despite ending up with some very bright bags, they haven't really compromised my stealthiness when camping...if I plan a bit in advance when setting up my camp.

As for deliberate visibility when riding in traffic, remember Ortlieb bags are generally black front and rear when mounted on the bike with the colored panels most visible to crosswise traffic. I think the bright rack pack will help with traffic visibility no matter the color of the panniers. For visibility in traffic, I prefer to wear high-viz neon jerseys and jackets, as they are more in closing drivers' line of sight and provide a lot of surface area. Of course, I take them off or exchange them for something more subtle when in camp (my cold-weather clothing is all-black; I've found it absorbs a bit more heat from a watery sun in the cold of dawn and is of course less visible).

Grey can be a very stealthy color, blending in nicely against foliage and such and perhaps looking not unlike granite boulders, depending on location. They can always be removed from the bike and placed behind the tent or inside and the bike laid down, the tent hiding the lot.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 07:00:35 am by Danneaux »

nztony

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 06:37:08 am »
Andre, agreed, better to be seen with bright panniers while riding, even if this means one may not be as stealthy when camping.

Dan, many thanks for your detailed reply, and as every reply I've read on this forum, you go out of your way to be helpful and insightful, so very many thanks for your thoughts. And you make good sense, which confirms my own thoughts, if you can hide your panniers behind (or even inside) your tent, then the colour doesn't' really matter, especially as I think I am going to choose a 2 man tent which will give me ample space for myself and my panniers. And I know what you mean by the Ortlieb Reflectors, these will give your location  away from car lights more than any chosen colour, whether dark or brightly coloured. Regardless of my pannier choice, it will definitely be a bright yellow rear rack bag and I will be ordering one of these in Orange the day they are available: http://avip.pocsports.com/concept/ in early 2014.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 06:40:09 am by nztony »

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 08:15:01 am »
Hi Tony,
I like the Hazel/Black Ortlieb Panniers but if I had ordered Ortlieb Panniers I would have ended up ordering the Orange/Black.

I ended up getting a full set of Carradice Super C Panniers which only come in Black but I got my tent bag custom made with Hi Viz so to stand out when riding but not to when camping  ;D

Pete..

PS Tony I have find over the last 8+ years that Chris is very good and will look after you very well  :) happy cycling again...

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 09:40:35 am »
Just to add to Dan and Andre's comments .... we did some moors & mountain backpacking here in the UK several years ago.  In these crowded islands, someone will very likely pass by a 'stealth campsite' as dusk approaches.  We used a green low profile tent and had a few experiences of people passing by close enough for us to hear their conversation but them not noticing us. You should be fine with a reasonably well chosen site.  I tried walking to the top of  the nearest high ground on several occasions, and found the green tent merges into the background once the sunlight begins to fade.

For visibility on the road,  the Ortlieb reflectors are good after dark, but for daylight I go with Dan's approach and wear something bright on my top half.  Not a great fan of 'day-glo' which is completely overdone in the UK,  Red and Orange  seem to work well enough,  and Light Blue too as far as I can tell.

regards
sdg.

nztony

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 04:30:06 am »
Peter, thanks for the suggestion regarding Puresports, I'm very happy to have taken it up and it's great to have Chris's expertise only 20kms away from my front step!

SDG, I'm going to go with a nice bright orange helmet if I can find one! And I'm not sure if I mentioned it somewhere, but the main reason for purchasing the Thorn it to do a ride through the Scottish Highlands, Outer Herbrides, and the UK! Although there is no lack of places to try out the Thorn here in NZ, and the sooner the better!

sdg_77

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 02:15:37 pm »
Splendid - we lived in Caithness (John o Groats area) for ~10 years.

Suggest you go to the West of Scotland in May and/or June,  best chance of good weather and fewest midges ;-)

We're away to NZ in a couple of weeks!

enjoy
sdg.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:18:44 pm by sdg_77 »

nztony

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 08:37:37 am »
SDG

Excellent info regarding the best time frame, as I have read and re read the horror stories regarding midges, so May/June 2015 it is! Actually, I have just gone and checked my Leave Request for 2015 and find I had entered 1 May to 30 June, so (with a little bit of homework) I had chosen the right dates!

Since you are a local then, this is my plan so far (subject to changing my mind at anytime!) but this has been the plan I settled on quite some months ago and I haven't changed it. Firstly I was happy to do the usual JOG to LE, but I've refined it. I can fly from NZ to Aberdeen (via London) and I thought I could get the train from Aberdeen to Inverness then straight up to Thurso. Ride to JOG then back to Thurso then along the northern coast to Durness (perhaps even Cape Wrath if that isn't too far out of the way) then to Ullapool and get the ferry to Stornoway, ride the Outer Hebrides down to Barra and catch the ferry to Oban then make a B line for Dover to a friend I've made via Flickr.

Actually I plan to take a few days off in the Outer Hebrides to get the boat to St Kilda, as I'd love to camp there for a couple of days and it's history and remoteness fascinate me.  I'm a huge Google Earth/Map "nerd" and I've looked at the remote island of St Kilda for a few years and now I've thought, stop day dreaming about it and do something about it, so it's quite exciting really.

Until I get my Thorn (ordered 24 hours ago, so the ball is rolling now) I am not really sure of my daily distances, but I'm not worried about that, as I have plenty of time to work that out when I do rides down here in NZ. I will then know how fast (or slow) I should be riding when I'm in the UK - the two months leave I have booked may be too much - I may end up in Dover with a month to spare!

How does my plan sound?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:10:58 am by nztony »

in4

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 08:54:50 am »
Here's your St. Kilda link Tony. I'm not sure if you can stay over there as its a UNESCO site now, plus you'd have to be pretty fond of guano!

http://www.seaharris.co.uk/

I'm sure others will offer further advice shortly. Sounds a lot of fun though.

nztony

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 09:08:13 am »
Thanks for that in4.

From what I have read (although I haven't checked in the last couple of months) I am pretty sure you can camp there.
Actually, I've just re checked: http://www.kilda.org.uk/frame8.htm To be honest, it sounds positively luxurious, water, showers, toilets! Water is the big one of course, as carrying 48 hours worth of water with me on the boat would be quite a challenge!

Camping

The only accommodation on the island for visitors is a small campsite, with room for a maximum of 6 people. Visitors may stay for up to 5 nights. They have shared use of an ablutions block with showers and toilets and access to a drinking water quality water supply, there is no access to an electricity supply, except by prior arrangement. Booking is essential; you may obtain further details and check availability by contacting:

National Trust for Scotland
Balnain House
40 Huntly Street
Inverness
IV3 5HR
Tel: 0844 493 2237

Bookings for the season can be taken from mid-January each year. We charge £10 per person per night for the facilities and ask that you pay the Ranger directly.
UNQUOTE

macspud

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 09:36:57 am »
I can fly from NZ to Aberdeen (via London) and I thought I could get the train from Aberdeen to Inverness then straight up to Thurso.

You could also fly to Inverness from London.

in4

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 11:24:52 am »
Wow, that sounds like a great place to camp and I stand corrected, happily so. My mate is an avid birdwatcher so the prospect of  lad's jolly on St. Kilda is on the horizon.  :)

nztony

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 11:37:51 am »
Macspud, the reason I say fly from "London to Aberdeen" is that that is the last leg of the of an Air New Zealand flight from Auckland to Aberdeen via Hong Kong and Heathrow. (transferring to B.A. for the last leg.)

In4, St Kilda would be an amazing place for your "jolly".
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 11:49:12 am by nztony »

sdg_77

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 12:36:10 pm »
Tony - that plan sounds ok to me.

It has been a few years since we were living there but I suggest you look at Dyce Railway station,  it is close to Aberdeen Airport and on the line to Inverness.

For rail tickets in the UK with cycle reservations try East Coast's www site - http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/  The cycle arrangements on our railways are 'many and varied*' but the East Coast www site lets you organise your bike booking at the same time as buying your tickets.  It does not matter that they don't operate the train you might be travelling on.  If you buy the ticket a week or so before travelling it will be considerably cheaper than a 'walk up' fare.

Travelling North to Thurso makes sense - the trains can get busy with people coming South with bikes so you have a better chance of finding one with space.  There is also the bus,  they might let you put your bike in the luggage space.

Suggest you think about going JoG to Orkney, on the small ferry, cycle to Stromness and then take the big ferry, Stromness to Thurso.  You would get to see a little of Orkney which is much more Norse than Scottish and having come half way around the planet sad to miss?  I worked there while we were living in Caithness and thought it was brilliant - if rather windy.  The Highland Park distillery is good and the most Northerly,  you could compare it with the ones out west ;-)

We never managed to see the West Coast or the Western Isles in good weather but May/June is definitely your best chance,  did I mention the distillery tours ..... the wildlife tourism has come on leaps and bounds since we were there.  Not quite up to Kaikoura standard but most of it can be seen closer in to the coast.

When we were planning a Hadrian's Cycleway tour we used a book by Julia Merrifield ... just to get some ideas about touring in the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pedals-Panniers-and-Punctures-ebook/dp/B0061L9530

She took a longer route than most and broke the trip into sections - you might find her notes give you some ideas on what to expect?  Just my opinion - I would agree with her comments about the North of Scotland and the UK railways in general.

hope that helps
sdg.

* some might say a complete joke,  or perhaps something less diplomatic ;-)