Author Topic: About break/gear cables  (Read 3108 times)

zoslen

About break/gear cables
« on: September 25, 2013, 10:49:35 am »
Hi

Is it possible to use brake cables instead of gear cables?

Or at least is it possible to use outer brake cable (5mm) -instead of outer gear cable (4mm)- with an inner gear cable ?

What will be the result in shifting?

Zoslen

il padrone

Re: About break/gear cables
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 02:55:01 pm »
Brake cables and gear cables generally have different dimensions, and end stops, so they aren't interchangeable.

The cable housings look similar but on modern derailleur drivetrains they have to meet quite different specifications. Way back in the day (1970s) the housings were the same - there was only one type of cable housing - well, two if you include 3spd gear cable housing. The development of indexed gear shifting was the turning point that led to two different cable housings.

Brake cable housings need to be very strong against compression. Spiral wound steel housing is ideal for this purpose, and flexible to boot. However indexed shifting demanded very rigid, non-compressible housing. It does not need to withstand higher loads (like brake housing must). So a twisted housing comprised of longitudinal strands gives the non-compressibiltiy, but is not so strong overall.

A gear housing used for brakes will work OK. Until it eventually blows out under full braking and you have instant brake failure. A brake housing used for gear work will not give reliable shifting - you will constantly lose shifting accuracy and miss-shift all over the place.

Horses for courses.

None of this is an issue if you are talking about the Rohloff - the gear housings are plain spiral-wound housing same as for brakes.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:57:57 pm by il padrone »

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:35:56 am »
Hi
There is 4mm and 5mm gear cable so if you after larger gear cables you just have to go and buy 5mm gear housing from your LBS.

I know I know there are only a few good LBS's so yes you can order on line 5mm gear cable housing.

Happy cycling ........................................................ ............... ........... .....    .. . . .  . . . .

Pete..

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

doug

• The Cycle Hub
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 07:47:37 am »
I know I'm not a very technical cyclist but in spite of that I have something to add here!  Although I can see the original question has been answered very well, perhaps something else to bear in mind about cables....

A few years ago I got a 'vintage' Argos bike for my daughter (Argos refers to the Bristol frame builder, not the High Street shop) which needed a little TLC.  To cut a long story short, although it was a very nice fast bike which was a good fit, the brakes were awful.  They were the original Shimano 600 ones from that era.

The original brake cables had quite a rough texture.  I guess they were the old galvanised wires in simple spiral-type outers which added to their lack of efficiency.  It certainly made quite a difference in upgrading these to modern stainless steel cables in some nice lined outers.  Result was a smoother brake pull with less resistance and more effective.

In chatting in the LBS, apparently the nasty galvanised ones are still fitted to cheap bikes and sold in shops.  Definatly worth paying a few extra pence for the smooth running stainless steel cables, which could well be more reliable.
http://thecyclehub.net - The life long joy of cycling

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 02:39:15 pm »
That must have felt really good, Doug, to take a nice old bike and upgrade it for your daughter!