Author Topic: Loose chain  (Read 5786 times)

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
Re: Loose chain
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 02:11:10 am »
Wow! That's a lot, George, and troubling. Hmm. D'you mean when the chainring is mounted on the arms, there's a 1.5mm gap between the inner edge of the 'ring and the crank spider's mounting flanges?

Just curious: Will or does the 'ring center on the chainring bolts? Or does it sort of rattle around on the sleeve nuts/bolts? Does your 'ring mount to the outer or the middle (inner) position on your crank?
I think it matters that the Surly ring is intended for a single-speed, rather than a double/triple crank; they may very well have slightly different standards.

But the ring bolts are not counter-sunk, and slightly smaller, which allows the slack.

And, yes about the flange-spacing.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 02:14:59 am »
<nods> Thanks for the additional details, George. Boy, that is troubling. 'First I've heard of the problem and very sorry it hasn't worked out for you.

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 03:29:37 am »
I don't quite see how there could a different standard in a chainring for a half-inch chain which has been standardized for half a century and more. "Single speed" chainrings don't have gear-chainging ramps and pins, true, but that follows from their function.

I think that it's likely that what will be discovered about this particular rogue chainring is that the Surly steel chainrings are essentially a custom job, cut one by one in the shed out back. I too have the 38T Surly chainring, and in 2500km have not noticed anything odd about it, so mine is a good one, which implies there is no design fault with it, just a manufacturing glitch. There are more owners of the 38T chainring on the forum who might chip in even if their contribution is "nothing to report in [distance]".

Sounds to me like a straight-up case of Surly owing you a new, correctly cut, chainring.

julk

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 09:58:16 am »
I too have fitted a Surly 38 tooth 5 arm chainring.

It was not an exact fit onto the spider and I used this to tweak the ring into a position where it ran perfectly centered before giving the bolts a final tighten.

It has continued to work fine since being fitted.
Julian.

mickeg

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 01:44:48 pm »
I worked in a bike shop in the 1970s.  A lot of components back then were manufactured with less precision than many of the computer aided manufacturing tools accomplish today.  Thus, I am used to making minor tweaks when I build up a bike.

I am using a 110mm BCD chainring that cost about $10 USD with no manufacturer name on it.  It fits a bit sloppy on the 5 arm crank of a different manufacturer.  Instead of buying a high end high quality alloy chainring, I am buying cheap chainrings and cheap KMC chains.  It was listed as a "Alloy BMX Chainring 3/32" 44T x 110mm" and supplied by a wholesaler in Seattle.

I do not know how much gap I have between the arms and ring, but the chainring was not perfectly centered on the crankarms with a bit of sloppiness.  All it needed was a few minutes of adjusting, then I tightened the the chainring bolts once I got it centered.  I did this when I first built up the bike.

And once I had that set, then I set the eccentric. 

geocycle

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 05:10:16 pm »
I too have fitted a Surly 38 tooth 5 arm chainring.

It was not an exact fit onto the spider and I used this to tweak the ring into a position where it ran perfectly centered before giving the bolts a final tighten.

It has continued to work fine since being fitted.
Julian.

I've done a lot of fiddling with my 42 tooth surly and have yet to find a sweet spot on the Thorn 110BCD spider.  It just doesn't line up very well at all giving the uneven chain tension mentioned above.  I think I have exactly the same problem as Hetrick with gaps at the spider.  It is just about acceptable for the moment to ride on but is a pain to adjust the tension accurately.  I need to find another ring that will work under the chainglider (which I appreciate more and more!).