Author Topic: Advice needed for platform-type (car) hitch-mount bike rack  (Read 8219 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Advice needed for platform-type (car) hitch-mount bike rack
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 06:58:44 pm »
Hi All!

First off, thanks again for the replies, especially those with photos (PM sent to Holly). They really do help visualize all the parameters. A few things pop out at me immediately...

• Steve: Having owned and earned from working on Hondas since 1974, your Civic is the one I might have purchased had it been available Stateside. Unfortunately, a perception developed in the 1990s (fostered and abetted by auto magazines) that 'Merkins do not like hatchback cars, and this has persisted till recently. As a result, the only hatchbacks remaining in the domestic Honda lineup are the hybrid Insight (not available used inexpensively enough for me and I didn't like it very well) and the Fit -- the first generation we got here was a rebadged 7 year-old version of the Jazz; the second generation I found terribly disappointing in recent test drives compared to my '89 Civic Si, but the Focus "felt" like the more developed direct successor, is working fine, and I am delighted with its combination of performance, fuel economy, handling, road feel, and hatchback utility and the little-used example I snagged was available at a very good price with lots of warranty coverage remaining.

• Choosing a hitch-mounted platform rack is a big decision for me, but it seems the best course of action given the Nomad's weight and the difficulty of getting the bike overhead and mounted on a tray. This is especially true if someone else who is not as large/strong must do the loading in my absence. More on that below.

• I was very impressed by the platform-type hitch/towbar-mounted racks I saw on cars when I toured NL, BE, and FR in 2008, and I still have them in mind when looking at what's available now here in the States. I'd happily import one of those, but the shipping and customs fees make it cost-prohibitive for me here in the US. The problem (and it is one for me), is the 'Merkin versions lack any sort of redundant lighting and registration plate mounting. Holly very kindly showed her RT on her Mini-Cooper. Posing the Nomad behind the Focus shows it will also likely block the car's rear lighting, signals, and plate. I can't do anything about the plate, but plan to mount redundant lighting to the rack, which also means custom mounting brackets and wiring, and this last presents a completely unexpected dilemma in the form of car warranty coverage.

Despite the fact this model and year Ford Focus was rated as the NL tow vehicle of choice and won at least one all-Europe towing award, Ford of America does not rate it for towing. Oops. My new-to-me Focus has considerable time and mileage remaining on the original factory warranties and has a Ford Certified Pre-Owned (used car) warranty that overlays this and together provide coverage for as much as five years combined. The issue has been raised a number of times on American Ford Focus owner Forums, and it appears the American version has no problem carrying a hitch and can indeed tow small utility trailers (for transporting yard debris, light moving, multiple bicycles, Christmas trees, etc) with no problem. The difficulty arises when the car is brought to a dealership for service. Hitches that require drilling for mounts will seemingly void the warranty. No problem, I found HiddenHitch makes one that will mount using plates that require no drilling. Hitches of this type used to carry bike racks don't seem to trigger any warranty issues.

However, the presence of wiring that could be used to connect to trailer lighting is cause for voiding the warranty, and that could be very expensive in the event covered service was required. The solution seems to be a modular wiring kit with the electrical connector concealed out of sight when not in use. I'd planned to install such wiring to power the rack's redundant taillights, so this is an issue which I now must consider. I'd figured redundant rack lighting might help prevent the Nomad from becoming a very expensive bumper for following drivers who aren't very dedicated to the task of driving.

Goodness, things do become complicated! Quickly!

• I don't plan to use the hitch-rack much...this is a sort of backup plan in case I need "extraction" from the very remote areas where I travel alone. It wouldn't take much.; turning an ankle could pretty well put a stopper on me getting back out again under my own power in a reasonable timedframe. The idea is to fit the hitch rack to the car before departure, then leave the keys for my sister to drive in the event things go Really Bad while on tour. This could mean a very long trip, as I live in Oregon and there are *no* emergency services of any kind in all of Nevada's northern Washoe County where I like to tour Black Rock Desert and the associated dry regions of America's Great Basin. I go alone and there is no bus service or sometimes even communication available, so I am trying to be extra-responsible and have a backup plan for my usual backup plans in case I get truly stranded. At worst, it could still mean a 25-mile hike in very rough country to where I could get cellphone service, then hunkering down to wait or hauling the bike and myself to a location she could reach by non-4WD vehicle within several days. My sister had some horrifically major spine surgery not long ago, and I think she could attach a lighter hitch-mounted rack where a roof-mounted version would be impossible. This raises the possibility of her coming to get me if things unexpectedly went Bad on, say, a 400km day ride.

So, some major side issues to consider before purchase, and I continue to welcome any thoughts going forward.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:09:47 pm by Danneaux »

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 08:49:10 pm »
Dan - reading through your last paragraph I wonder if a different approach would work for you?

In the scenario you describe, your sister could end up driving a long way with the empty rack on the car.  Without an extra set of lights I would see this  as the time the rack and your car are most at risk from an inattentive following driver?

Apologies if this is something you have considered and  rejected .....

If you are in a state of needing rescuing someone will have to remove the panniers etc from the bike and load them inside the car,  so could you also take the wheels out and put the bike in first and pack the panniers around it?  My Sherpa fits into our Civic with just the front wheel out.  Some bubble wrap and newspaper protect the inside of the car and I can loop the rear seatbelts around the handlebars or a pedal crank to give some protection in the event of a crash.  From what I remember of the Focus hatches I have had on hire, the load space with the rear seats folded is at least as big as in the Civic.

If  I am just taking one bike somewhere and don't need much overnight kit,  I tend to go for this option as it is quicker than taking the rack off the garage wall,  attaching it and then putting it back again on my return.  For two bikes and a weekend away the rack is definitely the best option.

hope that helps
sdg.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 01:34:56 am »
...hope that helps...
A tremendous help, Steve; thanks!

It is indeed very appealing to carry the bike inside the car, where it is safe and protected from dust, dirt, rain, constant wind and of course, rear-ending by another car. It is also much more convenient, as you note. This is one of the reasons why I chose a hatchback car; they have so much more utility than a car with only a boot (trunk).

I've attached a photo showing the Nomad inside my '89 Honda Civic Si -- it just fit, almost to the millimeter! On that trip I had the happy coincidence of friends dropping by my family's little vacation cabin in Yachats on the off chance I might be there (and was!). They had been antique shopping in their minivan, and there was only room for the trailer, the six panniers, the rack-top load and the handlebar bag...everything except the bike. I had to drive the Honda back the next day to retrieve the bike -- and there was no room inside for the luggage if it had not gone home the day before.

I need to have room in the car for two people plus the bike touring kit. There are hitch-mounted cargo carriers ( http://www.etrailer.com/faq-cargo-carrier-info.aspx ), but I'd also need a storage box of some sort to put the stuff in -- and then I run into the taillight blockage issue once more. Steve, your roof pod solves the problem very nicely, but I don't think it would clear my garage door and I know Denise (sister) wouldn't be able to get it on the car if it wasn't already mounted.

Hmm.
In the scenario you describe, your sister could end up driving a long way with the empty rack on the car.  Without an extra set of lights I would see this  as the time the rack and your car are most at risk from an inattentive following driver?
This is a major concern for me, Steve. After her back surgery, it would be especially tragic if she were rear-ended while headed out to rescue me. Drivers here'bouts are terrible and follow closely as it is. I'm not sure they'd manage to miss an empty rack even if it were lighted. I know my homegrown lighting wouldn't look nearly as nice and professional as the molded plastic nacelles on the commercial version you own.

Yes, the cargo space in the Focus should be at least as big as the Honda's. There is a large subwoofer in one corner that is part of the factory stereo system, but the seatback will quick-fold nearly flat or the lower seat cushion will tumble forward and then the seatback will fold to make a flat cargo hold. It should fit. The weather should improve by the weekend and it seems a Very Good Idea to have a go at trying to fit the bike in the car. Otherwise, I'm looking at wiring the car and rack and getting lights as well.

Really helpful thoughts, everyone; thanks. Time to try the bike in the car and go from there.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:51:43 am by Danneaux »

Relayer

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 08:12:41 am »
Dan

I'm pretty sure you'll get your Nomad in the back of the Focus.  I used to have a Ford Mondeo which isn't all that much bigger and I could get my Dawes Galaxy in the back of that fairly easily without even taking the wheels off.

If you were to mount the bike at the back of the car over hundreds of miles it would get seriously blasted with mud and goodness knows what other types of crud, to avoid this would mean wrapping your bike up with some pretty tough protective covering.

Cheers.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:49:06 pm by Relayer »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 08:59:57 pm »
Update: *If* all went according to plan, I just got this -- a well-rated PerformanceBikes TransIt Flatbed 2DLX 2-Bike Hitch Rack at USD$80 off: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1122106_-1_400019__400019
There were only five left when I ordered and now there's four listed, so I think I got it. The "Order has been received" email arrived, but I won't know for sure till the fulfillment email arrives. Fingers crossed. It'll be delivered while I'm gone so won't see it till after mid-September, but Performance accepts returns pretty much forever and at the local store, so no return shipping if it doesn't work out.
I wish it would also fit the tandem, but that's asking a lot. This rack maxes out at a 58in wheelbase and Reddy Twofer (the red '89 Burley Rock 'n' Roll touring tandem that is always Reddy for anything and for its riders, the Ready Two for Adventure) is longer than that. May have to fabricate a mount on the little utility trailer for it. Even if the tandem fit the rack, it would protrude past the sides of the car, making for an expensive clearance indicator. Still thinking....

This, the Focus, and relatives comprise my Danneaux-Rescue Backup Plan. I've long pondered a solution for what to do if the bike breaks midway on a solo 400km day ride in remote country. This will work, provided I have cell service when things go pear-shaped. Otherwise, it will be a long, long walk Out or several nights in the woods en route to a road, so still best I pack my SOL (Short On Luck) kit justincase.

Still need to mount a hitch and wire the car, but that'll happen after I return.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:01:57 pm by Danneaux »