Author Topic: Frame Pumps  (Read 9506 times)

stutho

• Administrator
Frame Pumps
« on: April 06, 2006, 12:03:22 pm »
I am about to buy a frame pump probably a Zefal HPX.  Has anyone had any problems with this pump?  Is the Thuflo HPX the same pump?  

According to the sjsc pump size chart I need a size 1 (I own a raven sport tour) but when I measure the gap it is a bit smaller than the 17 to 18.5 inches listed is this pump a very tight fit?

Thanks

Stutho
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 12:04:37 pm by stutho »

PH

Re: Frame Pumps
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 12:52:02 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by stutho

I am about to buy a frame pump probably a Zefal HPX.Has anyone had any problems with this pump?  

No problems, it's not the lightest, it is reliable.  They even do a repair kit, worth carrying on a tour.  

quote:
 Is the Thuflo HPX the same pump?  

I don't know, it looks the same.

quote:
According to the sjsc pump size chart I need a size 1 (I own a raven sport tour) but when I measure the gap it is a bit smaller than the 17 to 18.5 inches listed is this pump a very tight fit?

I don't know where you get those measurements from, my size 1 is about 16", the space for it on the Raven (apparently they're all the same) is about 15".  It's a firm fit, not likely to fall out or rattle, but I wouldn’t describe it as very tight - it's easy to put in place.  It's designed to rest on a tube, but on a Raven it's tends to sit better between the seatstays, if you do this protect the paint before it gets rubbed off.

PH

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 01:03:26 pm »
Ah, now I see where you got the measurements, they’re the frame sizes rather than the pump sizes, see here

Looking for that I also see that there is a new version  

strat

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 01:06:47 pm »
This is interesting. I have the newer model sport tour and was told by Thorns that it wouldn't take a frame pump

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 01:11:19 pm »
Thanks PH
I think I have worked out where the size discrepancy is coming from.  Size one is listed as fitting a 17 to 18.5 inch FRAME. (I.e. it is not 17 to 18.5 in long)
I am going to get a Thuflo HPX tomorrow (I am pretty sure it is the same pump and I can get it locally)

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 01:12:46 pm »
Strat:
I have got the older frame - with a pump peg.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 09:42:43 am »
Bought a Thuflo HPX it seams identical to the Zefal it is certainly is very solid, works very well and sits in place on the bike perfectly.  Shame I didn't listen to PH though - I scraped the paint on the chain stays on my very first fitting.
Thank