Author Topic: Shimano Sealed BB play.  (Read 2018 times)

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
Shimano Sealed BB play.
« on: September 13, 2013, 09:41:48 am »
Hello All
Time on the beach in Iran and humid conditions have probably caused my BB to start to fail.
I have a replacement but I'm wondering if leaving it until it totally dies will cause any problems?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

jags

Re: Shimano Sealed BB play.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 12:43:06 pm »
would sand have got into the seals if so its goosed :o best to replace it.
right miserable dark windy rainy day here in ireland , the grandkids are wrecking me head and house. i really need a shave and get my arse out the fecken door before i crack up. other that that richy boy life a boal of cherries.
have fun dont get sun  burned.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:37:38 am »
Hi Richie!

Sorry for the delay in answering.

The one good thing about failing sealed bottom brackets is one really can't do much harm to the unit itself -- it is already damaged and just degrades from there and the unit is unrepairable and ultimately disposable anyway.

The only real concern would be seizure (it has happened to me once when a ball bearing split and the pieces blocked the race), but that is generally rare except in advanced cases. More likely, the spindle will become noisy, pedaling friction will increase to some degree, and the whole assembly will wobble. This last is the most problematic in terms of causing collateral damage, as it can be severe enough the chain will begin to wear the chainring teeth. I wouldn't want to ride very far of there's much more than 2mm runout at the chainring when pedaling. You should be able to go awhile, but I wouldn't delay too long before installing the replacement; you might find yourself in a worse place when it finally lets go.

Safe travels, Richie

All the best,

Dan.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 06:32:02 am »
Cheers Jags,Dan.
Since writing the  post ive actually been up a steep hill!!!!
I noticed a little slip under hard load, so yes I will be changing it over sooner than later.
I'll be in Gorgan in a few days to do my visa extension so I can do it the clean hotel room.
Then it's hopefully of to cross a bit of desert down to Esfehan.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy