Author Topic: another mudguard query  (Read 2429 times)

jags

another mudguard query
« on: September 11, 2013, 10:13:00 pm »
OK lads i want to buy some full length mudguards one piece for my Raleigh 753.
OK so i need clips to secure them to frame .the tyres are 23mm might go25 some time but for now I'm sticking with 23MM700c.
 i want to get silver SKS but how do i figure out what width to buy .
cheers

jags.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/p-clips-rubber-coated-black-per-pair-no-fittings-prod24089/
those clips should work just need a link to mudguards.

moodymac

Re: another mudguard query
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:32:38 am »
Jags,

Well, basically Jags, ......................ha, ha, don't shoot!  I read somewhere (I think it was Peter White Cycles.com) recommending the guard be ten mm larger than the tire for max coverage from the elements, i.e. 5 mm clearance for each side, which would also allow for a larger tire with decent coverage.    I don't know if this is best, or not.  It just sounded reasonable.

I read your last ride and noticed no pics.  Forget your camera?  Maybe forgot how to use it?  (I have found that any electronics that I own are much smarter than me, and they all know it!)

Tom
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:37:45 am by moodymac »

Relayer

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 07:50:01 am »
Hi jags

If it's the traditional SKS Chromoplastic mudguards you are after then it's the 35mm you need for tyres 700 x 20 - 28, as per ...

http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=product&r=mudguards&i=999999999&CHROMOPLASTICS

However, you might want to look at Raceblades for a roadie/training bike or others in the SKS range ...

http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=products&r=mudguards&PHPSESSID=00788d7a3df9d3a2d5be47c2df1dd965

Hope this helps   ;)

jags

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 11:05:07 am »
Thanks Lads, Tom that Dan fella wont allow me to post a photo of me beautyfull vintage Raleigh  ;D ;D..

i know sks have race bladed that joinn up at the brake caliber but i dont want that, to much can go wrong with that set up. keep it simple as the man said.
i think i'll go will  sks it will take a lot of fiddling about but if they work it will be worth it.

thanks lads.

jags.

jags

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 12:29:31 pm »

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:18:30 pm »
Jags,  we have the narrow version of those on my wife's Cannondale 'Sunday Morning' bike.  They fit fine with 700C 25mm tyres.  I don't recall having any particular problems getting them onto the bike and have not needed to fettle them in over a year or so.  Be sure to read the instructions re the end caps for the stays.

In some respects it is the clearance under the brake caliper which is the decider as it is not something you have any control over. So long as a 6 or 7mm drill bit fits between the tyre and the brake you should be ok.

My Cannondale has less clearance so I have to fit 23mm tyres and use Crud Racers which are ok .... provided I follow the instructions and not try to 'busk it'

hope that helps
sdg.

jags

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:31:27 pm »
Thanks SDG great help indeed.