Author Topic: Chain/cassette combo for heavy rider?  (Read 13786 times)

ianp

Chain/cassette combo for heavy rider?
« on: April 01, 2006, 01:05:38 am »
I need to replace my chain and cassette after about 3000 miles, is that reasonable?

Drivetrain: Shimano 9spd
Chain: 9spd XTR
Cassette: 9spd Ultegra 11-23

Lubricant: regularly applied - White Lightning http://www.whitelightningco.com/ (used from day one - degreased chain first to remove shipping grease.

Rider: 100kg - 16st
Cadence: lower than it should be
Torque: High (180mm cranks, long legs, fit rider)

Conditions: Mostly dry weather commuting (Australia), some toddler trailer towing.

I am happy with gear ratios but wonder if I should be able to get better mileage out of say sram pc99 or a rohloff chain and whether my choice of lubricant has been a factor.

Regards,
Ian

Bike: XXL Thorn Nomad

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Chain/cassette combo for heavy rider?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 11:09:44 pm »
3000 miles sounds about right for a chain (I get 2000-3000).  Can't comment on the Ultegra cassette but I get about 7000-9000 out of a SRAM cassettes (much wider ratio 13-32?).  I am a bit lighter at about 13st, it rains every 3rd day round here (South Wales).  

I prefer SRAM chains.  Never had any problems with them or the Powerlink.

luceberg

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 05:26:14 am »
You can run mulpiple chains, swapping them over every 500 miles or so. That way your cassette will last say 5 x 3000 miles if you run 5 chains. I agree with stutho re sram chains - the powerlink makes chain removal/swapping easy.

ianp

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 11:40:51 pm »
Thanks guys, I didn't realise people rotated chains so frequently, tho it had been at the back of my mind for a while that I was risking the cassette by running the chain so long.

I too prefer sram (or sachs as it was) I had these on my old commuting bike and mountain bike when I lived in London and the power transfer always seemed smoother and more assured than with the shimano chains. I have put the lightly used pc99 from the mountain bike on my nomad now but think the cassette is too far gone.