Author Topic: Ravens in Turkey  (Read 2883 times)

ankaradan

Ravens in Turkey
« on: September 05, 2013, 06:56:55 am »
Finally, after unavoidable delays, I was able to get to back to the UK, go down to Bridgwater and collect my long awaited new Raven. Then having completed all the formalities, such as paying for it, I set out on its inaugural tour. Along the North Devon coast, beautiful but hilly, into North Cornwall, beautiful though not so hilly, and then looping down the Torridge valley, along the edge of Dartmoor, to Plymouth.

From the first, I was really pleased with the bike. It seemed to handle just as well laden as unladen, coped with some pretty rough tracks, and appeared to bowl along quite fast at times. After the rather knackered derailleurs on my old bike, the ease and speed of changing the Rohloff was wonderful. As was its quietness in most gears.

From Plymouth, a quick journey in a hire car took us to Gatwick, where we flew back to Turkey courtesy of Easyjet. That was the first time I'd flown with a bike, and was quite worried about it, but I found the EasyJet check-in staff very helpful, and they certainly de-stressed the check-in process. 

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Ravens in Turkey
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 07:49:06 am »
Simply wonderful! All congratulations your way on a gorgeous new bicycle and a corker of an inaugural tour with it!

The bike looks simply grand, and fairly sparkles in your photos. It must have been such a joy to collect it at Bridgwater and then ride it directly. Speaking for myself, I'm just delighted to see another drop-bar Rohloff bike in the Fold. The Rohloff really does do a nice job of getting to the task directly and with minimal fuss compared to derailleurs. It is pretty much ideal for touring in my experience, provided your ratios are matched to need and terrain.

So glad the return flight went well and the bike arrived damage-free. I'll bet it is eagerly awaiting the next adventure, and I can't wait to see more photos of it in action.

Best,

Dan. (...who likes nothing better than tales and photos of Thorn bikes on-tour)

Neil Jones

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 07:58:00 am »
Wow what a stunning looking bike, I love the red/black colourscheme with matching panniers, very classy.
I'm glad your initial opinions on the Rohloff are very positive as it's always a major worry changing from such a familiar gear system, it only gets better I can tell you.
It's nice to hear some positive comments regarding the airline, they receive a lot of bad press so it's good to know they looked after your new Raven.
I'm wondering if you'd be willing to give us all a rundown on the spec you chose when you have some free time? I'm sure we'd be most interested.
Hope you enjoy many happy miles together.
Neil

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:21:19 am »
Thanks for the pictures. Excellent looking machine. I have an old style Raven and am extremely happy with it.

May I ask about the packing and wrapping of your bike for the flight? I may be taking a similar route / flight next year. Also costs?

Many thanks
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

ankaradan

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 05:46:12 pm »
The spec is pretty standard Thorn: - Deore front hub, Rigida Grizzly CSS rims, Deore V-brakes and Tektro levers, Thorn chainset with 41 tooth ring driving 17 tooth ring at the back via KMC X1 chain, Deore XT  PD-M785 pedals, 2" Schwalbe Marathon Dureme tyres. I added a .Brooks B17 saddle, and Tubus rear rack from my existing bike. The gearing was fine, low enough, at least until I was faced with the climb from Lynmouth up to Lynton at the end of day1. They also fitted a T bar to take my bar bag.

On the way home, I purchased 5 or 6 lengths of foam pipe insulation from B&Q in Crawley. I removed the pedals, dropped the saddle, and detached the handlebars. I also removed all extras, like pump and lights. I covered all frame tubes, and forks in pipe insulation; I also covered the rearmost tubes of the rack, the cranks and even wrapped the chainwheel. I tied the handlebars to the top tube then slid it into a CTC polybag, which I taped up. I guess it took about 20 minutes in all

jags

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:19:59 pm »
not my favourate color but that bike is stunning bet it turns a few heads in turkey.
hope you bought a good lock.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 07:09:15 pm »
Thanks for the packing info.
I always worry about mud guards. We're yours OK on the trip? Wrapped up?
And may I ask cost for the bike flight?
Thanks
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

ankaradan

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 09:22:38 am »
Thanks for the packing info.
I always worry about mud guards. We're yours OK on the trip? Wrapped up?
And may I ask cost for the bike flight?
Thanks
Matt

From memory, the extra cost for the bike was £27, which didn't seem exhorbitant.... especially given the reasonable price for the seat (about £80).

One of the mudguard stays was slightly bent during transport, leaving the mudguard rubbing the front wheel slightly, but this was easily bent back again when I got to Izmir.