Author Topic: About the paint on steel frames  (Read 3827 times)

zoslen

About the paint on steel frames
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:37:15 am »
Hi

I am considering buying a steel frame from Thorn but my main concern is the paint.

Until now I have used aluminium frames and I never had any particular problems with scratches on the paint.
On the contrary some other steel parts, like my handlebar, are full of scratches and the paint is seriously damaged.
Maybe this is happening because of low quality parts, I don't know, but I am warried about rust issues.

So I would like to ask if you have experienced any particular problems with scratches on the paint on your Thorns, especially after years of use.

Thanks
Zoslen

jags

Re: About the paint on steel frames
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:26:13 pm »
only the usual chips here and there but i went to the car parts  shop got them to mix a small tin of the exact same colour and if i get any chips i  use that.
steel is the real deal

JWestland

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:21:14 pm »
Hi -

Thorn now has powdercoat paint on many/all frames (you can ask them) which is very durable. I've a powdercoated steel Raleigh and nearly all scratches are superficial. Older bikes had enamel paint which looks lovely but it prone to chipping.

Modern steel is unlikely to rust through, if you check your bike once a week and clean/touch up with some rustkiller there definitely won't be any issues.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 03:43:13 pm »
The paint on Thorn stainless steel dropouts tends to flake off in big chunks in some cases, but as the dropouts are stainless steel its not a big problem.
Also the areas around the braze on bosses and cable guides can be prone to the appearance of superficial rusting unless you are extra careful with cleaning and storage conditions for your bike.

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 04:33:55 pm »
The paint on Thorn stainless steel dropouts tends to flake off in big chunks in some cases, but as the dropouts are stainless steel its not a big problem.
Also the areas around the braze on bosses and cable guides can be prone to the appearance of superficial rusting unless you are extra careful with cleaning and storage conditions for your bike.
Yes to both of those things.  I also have some superficial rust under the fork crown.  But the bike is 7 years old, used nearly every day and is either outside in a bikeshed at work or in a damp out-house at home.  So, I'm very pleased at how well the powdercoat has worked and what great condition my workhorse still is in.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 05:02:43 pm »
No problems with my two Thorns for rust.  Sherpa has a matt black paint, the matt finish is a bit polished where I have put the bike on a car rack.  If I am going to drive a significant distance to the start of a tour, I have put electrical tape on the paint so avoid having the rack polish the finish any more.

I have a bigger problem with panniers rubbing the paint off of racks.  And I have rubbed some of the paint down to bare metal in a few spots on my Surly Long Haul Trucker.

Finding the right matching nail polish or model paint can be a bit of a chore, but I usually touch up any significant scrapes before it looks too bad.  I also have used clear nail polish to cover bare metal to prevent rust until I can deal with it later.

Seriously, the potential for a few rust spots on a bike is not a reason to avoid the bike in my opinion.  I have one aluminum frame bike, several steel frame bikes.  Most of the rust has been on bolts that are plated instead of stainless.

martinf

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 05:58:54 pm »
Not yet had the Thorn long enough to get scratches.

My longest-serving bike dates from 1977, 531 steel tubing. I touch up the scratches about once every three years, and have completely repainted it at least twice.

My 2009 Brompton has a powder coat finish, being a folder it tends to get more scratches than the other bikes. So far I have touched up the paint once.

Pannier bags rubbed the paint off the racks on my old tourer after a few thousand kms. I expect the same will happen with the Thorn. I just touch up the paint now and again. Rust isn't much of a problem, if the paint gets rubbed off, the rust gets rubbed off as well.

If you don't like scratches and don't need the maximum weight carrying capacity of the Thorn racks, Tubus do stainless steel racks. I have one on the old 5-speed I use for commuting.

Personally I prefer ordinary steel for a tourer, if it ever breaks it can be welded or brazed easily.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 06:37:03 pm »
Hi Zoslen; welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forum!

I owned a Sherpa for about a year and now the same for my Nomad Mk2. I've found the paint to be very durable except for the dropouts, as both Rual and Geo' noted -- it came off in huge flakes there*, but it doesn't matter as the dropout faces are stainless steel and not subject to rust. The paint adhered flawlessly elsewhere on my two bikes and they proved o be very resistant to chips and nicks.

I am big on touching up nicks on all my bikes, as with either wet paint or powdercoat, I am reluctant to expose bare steel to the elements, though some of our Forum members have had no problems doing so (depends on environment I think -- salted roads and coastal climates are Bad). I believe it is more important to touch up scratches in powdercoat to prevent any rust from tunneling under the melted/fused plastic that comprises the powdercoat. This isn't limited to Thorns, but seems like a Very Good Idea on any powdercoated bike frame to prevent any rust from spreading unseen until it becomes a Real Problem when finally noticed.

When I ride the Nomad unladen, I often mount by swinging a leg over the saddle. When carrying a load atop the rear rack, I tend to hold the handlebars and saddle, tip the bike at an angle, and "step through" by putting my foot over the top tube. I was concerned my foot might someday scrape and scuff the top tube and cause unsightly scratches, so I decided to be proactive and placed a length of matte black windshield trim tape atop much of the top tube (it is a very good match for the matte black paint). The leading edges of my painted crank arms often get peppered with gravel, so I may add little tape shields there as well.

As for the cable guides, the ones on my Nomad Mk2 are stainless steel so even if the paint wear through, I won't have to worry about rust.

Best,

Dan.

* I think it is a combination of the high clamping forces and embossing of the knurled backside of the q/r and axle locknuts that cuts through the powdercoat, combined with the sliding/scraping action of the axle locknut faces when removing/reinstalling a wheel that causes the finish to flake off the dropout faces. Again, not a problem because the faces are stainless, and not even unsightly 'cos the hub q/r covers virtually all the bare metal.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:48:23 pm by Danneaux »

zoslen

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 09:58:20 pm »
Thank you all for your anwers.

Probably I will soon join the Thorn fan club...