Author Topic: Dream bikes  (Read 15879 times)

ahconway

Dream bikes
« on: March 25, 2006, 08:23:58 pm »
Don't get me wrong - I love my Raven Tour, and it's definitely the most versatile bike I've owned. If space and funds allowed, though, I'd have all sorts of exotic stuff. Here's my list of dream bikes.

• Steel road bike: I'm torn between Mercian, Waterford, and Rivendell (sorry Robin, but it's got to have fancy lugs!)

• Titanium road bike: Independent Fabrication Crown Jewell Ti

• Utility bike: Christiania trike

• Tandem: Thorn Raven Discovery (of course!)

• Folder: new Brompton Titanium

• Recumbent: A tough one! Probably a Burley, though

• Fixie: On One Pompino

• Misc: A hand-built Moulton of course, a Pedersen, and maybe a six-passenger Delfino!

What's on your list?

(BTW, if it seems like I'm going a bit stir crazy, subsituting online time for road time, that would be accurate! I've been traveling a lot, but I'm looking forward to hitting the road again soon!)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 09:28:23 pm by ahconway »

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Dream bikes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 04:58:00 pm »
I would love a Titanium version of the Raven.  I did seriously consider getting a one off frame built up.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 09:56:32 pm »
Something like this except with more braze ons, EBB, SS couping, V brakes and no suspension
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 10:00:44 pm by stutho »

stutho

• Administrator

ahconway

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 10:17:18 pm »
Ooo! That's pretty sweet. Sheldon's website claims there's a "high priority on rider comfort" - that makes the springloaded brooks, giant forks, and the dozen spacers under the stem make sense!

If I were going custom Rohloff, I'd have SJSC build me something like the Thorn ZXTZ!

Sorry about the terrible picture...

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 07:47:02 am »
I have not heard of the ZXTX - it not listed on the site.  Looks very fast.  

Before I got my Raven Sport I was very tempted by the Airborne Carpe Diem Ti.  Now if Airborne (or Thorn) produced a Carpe Diem like frame with EBB, Rohloff dropouts and possibly a slightly longer chain stay then I would upgrade. (NB Carpe Diem has 700c wheels which I would prefer although I am nearly a convert.)

ahconway

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 07:50:01 am »
quote:
Originally posted by stutho

I have not heard of the ZXTX - it not listed on the site.  Looks very fast.  

Before I got my Raven Sport I was very tempted by the Airborne Carpe Diem Ti.  Now if Airborne (or Thorn) produced a Carpe Diem like frame with EBB, Rohloff dropouts and possibly a slightly longer chain stay then I would upgrade. (NB Carpe Diem has 700c wheels which I would prefer although I am nearly a convert.)

As I recall, the ZXTX was a completely bespoke ultralite Thorn, under 20lbs and upwards of £3000! Anything can be built at cost...

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 10:11:51 am »
Thought it looked fast[:)]

paulhipwood

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 03:41:44 am »

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 08:31:39 am »
[img=right] http://merlinbike.com/images/2006/classic/roots.jpg [/img=right] I've seen a 'Merlin Roots' before.  To my mind this bike has been built around form not function i.e. Merlin built it to look nice not to perform.  Who is the target customer for a bike like that?  It is not a suitable for serious downhill, cross country or for touring.  Any bike that claims one size fits all (exp. folders) is never going to get me to part with my hard earned. I guess it is a fashion statement - I'm too old. I have to say it does LOOK very nice.  

Sorry if this is anyone’s dream bike – just ignore what I have said and follow YOUR dream.($3800 - $6500)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 08:32:33 am by stutho »

PH

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 01:19:44 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ahconway

Here's my list of dream bikes.

• Steel road bike: I'm torn between Mercian, Waterford, and Rivendell (sorry Robin, but it's got to have fancy lugs!)

• Titanium road bike: Independent Fabrication Crown Jewell Ti

• Utility bike: Christiania trike

• Tandem: Thorn Raven Discovery (of course!)

• Folder: new Brompton Titanium

• Recumbent: A tough one! Probably a Burley, though

• Fixie: On One Pompino

• Misc: A hand-built Moulton of course, a Pedersen, and maybe a six-passenger Delfino!

What's on your list?

How would you decide which one to ride, I sometimes have trouble with three[;)]
Three is the ideal for me, it covers all the types of riding that appeal, short fast road rides, lightweight touring/Audax and heavyweight/roughstuff touring.  If money were no object;

I'd replace my basic Cannondale with an all carbon road bike, with a carbony groupset like Campag Record.  Totally impractical, no concern about longevity and I know it wouldn't make me any faster.

I'd swap my Hewitt tourer for custom titanium of the same size and geometry, to see what all the fuss is about.  I can't imagine it being any comfier.

I'd change my Raven for... nope I can't think of anything I would swap it for...maybe get some suspension forks for some rides…

But as we all know it's not about the bike[;)] I'd rather spend the money on going somewhere and riding.      

PH

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 01:25:44 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ahconway

• If fancy lugs are your thing, have a drool over these

http://www.vanillabicycles.com/

http://www.handmadebicycleshow.com/framebuilders.lasso

Grimian

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 10:42:12 pm »
    I agree with Stutho ........ follow YOUR dream!  [^]

I am having a custom built Thorn Mercury with a twist!

It should be ready in a few weeks time ........ it may not be to everyones taste but it's MY dream bike!

All going well, you will be able to see it soon on this website as the complete build is being photographically documented by SJS! .......... watch this space!!!      [8D]

stutho

• Administrator
    « Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 11:31:00 am »
    PH: "But as we all know it's not about the bike I'd rather spend the money on going somewhere and riding."  

TOTALLY [:)]
    Best upgrade you can get for your bike is the memory of the fantastic cycling holiday you took last year.