Author Topic: 12,000 out of a rhyno-lite rim  (Read 13531 times)

steve

12,000 out of a rhyno-lite rim
« on: March 31, 2006, 09:22:15 am »
Rear sun rhyno lite rim cracked after 12,000 miles.
How does this compare to other folks ?
Steve

PH

Re: 12,000 out of a rhyno-lite rim
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 12:57:44 pm »
How long a rim lasts is one of those how long is a piece of string questions.  It depends on so many factors it’s impossible to say with any degree of certainty.  I’ve worn out a Mavic touring rim in 7,000 miles of gravely bike path commuting and had a lighter road rim last 25,000 + miles.  So although 12,000 doesn’t sound great, it’s not the worst.  I think you just have to treat modern rims as consumables, especially lightweight ones.  Find yourself a good local wheelbuilder, the hub and spokes will last several rims.  I prefer rims that have a wear indicator, so I know when to replace them before they break.  The CR18 is my present 26” favorite.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 11:38:20 pm »
I second every thing that PH says.  I have had a rim blow out - not a nice experience.  I was so shaken up by this that I switched my main ride to ceramic rims.  In hindsight I now think this was a mistake.  I would stick with good quality Ali's.

(For those luck enough not to know anything about a rim blow out what happens is about 1/3 of your rim will detached itself from the wheel accompanied by a LOUD bang as the tube goes.  The tyre or rim often then jams and the wheel is locked solid.  If this is a back wheel than you are skidding, front and you are flying.  I had my baby boy in a child seat when it happened to me - not nice.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 11:39:04 pm by stutho »

bike_the_planet

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 12:51:41 am »
quote:
Originally posted by PH

How long a rim lasts is one of those how long is a piece of string questions.  It depends on so many factors it’s impossible to say with any degree of certainty.  I’ve worn out a Mavic touring rim in 7,000 miles of gravely bike path commuting and had a lighter road rim last 25,000 + miles.  So although 12,000 doesn’t sound great, it’s not the worst.  I think you just have to treat modern rims as consumables, especially lightweight ones.  Find yourself a good local wheelbuilder, the hub and spokes will last several rims.  I prefer rims that have a wear indicator, so I know when to replace them before they break.  The CR18 is my present 26” favorite.

It's not bad though. I only got about 7000 kms (4000 miles) out of a CR18 on my rear wheel - so good luck with yours! Rims definitely are consumables these days. As you said, hubs and spokes will last several rim changes. But save yourself even more money and build the wheels yourself - it's not difficult, particularly swapping a used rim with a new one of similar type.

PH

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 12:38:36 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by bike_the_planet
I only got about 7000 kms (4000 miles) out of a CR18 on my rear wheel - so good luck with yours!

[:0][:0][:0]
Wow, where are you riding?  With that sort of wear I'd be looking for a heavier rim or considering ceramics.
My CR18s have done almost 10,000 miles, on the rear the wear indicator is almost worn away, hopefully around another 1,000 miles before replacement.  The front seems to have plenty of life left.  I am considering a DRC rim as a replacement, it's what a local wheelbuilder stocks, though he's happy to get anything else in.  I've used the 700c version on another bike and it's been trouble free.  They have a groove around the rim as a wear indicator, so are even easier to monitor.

freddered

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 10:53:10 pm »
A piece of string is 19cm long.  Well this piece is anyway.
Hope this helps answer that age-old question.