Author Topic: What Camera Do You Use?  (Read 19603 times)

Donnydid

What Camera Do You Use?
« on: August 31, 2013, 07:11:26 pm »
Hi All!

I was not sure whether to tag this question onto the Photo Test subject below or to start a new
subject....so a new subject it is!   :)

I usually use a Canon EOS 7D with a Tamron 18 to 270 lens for my photography as it covers all
bases from wide angle to zoom. Next March I am going to ride from the UK to Australia but I am
considering in buying either an Olympus EPL5 or a Lumix G5, these being smaller and less weight
than my Canon and Tamron lens. I am thinking that the Olympus/Lumix will be easier to grab from
my handle bar bag for the quick photo than the Canon.

I would be interested in what kind of camera everyone else uses and also do you use your cameras
for videos or do you use a seperate video cam?

Looking forward to your replies.

Many Thanks
Dave

honesty

Re: What Camera Do You Use?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 08:13:47 pm »
A pana G5 and i currently lug around both kit lenses as i haven't been able to cough up the cash for the travel zoom. I carry it in my bar bag and its light enough to get out and shoot one handed whilst still riding along if necessary...

in4

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 08:20:11 pm »
As an 'all in one' I've heard good reports about this one: http://www.trustedreviews.com/canon-powershot-sx40-hs_Digital-Camera_review.

ians

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:45:38 pm »
1. Fuji X10 (most of the time)
2. Fuji X100
3. Olympus OMD-EM5

I shoot stills only.

ians

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 12:11:10 am »
In days gone by the only phone on my bike or me was in a plastic bag in the saddlebag, switched off, used only for emergencies. Now that I'm a rolling emergency myself, I carry in my shirt pocket an iPhone 4S, which has a good camera built in, so I use that. The iPhone is in a Griffin Survivor case (colour-coded to my bike!) which is water-resistant and proof against all other cycling hazards.

For a movie camera on my bike I have a Kodak Zx1 which is designed as a cheap sports camera, decently water-resistant for bike use, and cheap enough not to worry if you lose it, so I leave it sitting on the bike even though my gorilla has a quick release tripod junction that would make it cheap to steal if the thief knew how to operate it. The trick to using it, or any other cheap camera on a bike, is to provide a semi-stable platform by wrapping the legs of a gorilla pod around the handlebars or rack and then mounting the camera on the tripod. It's normally mounted on the rack as intimidation for idiots in 4WD who come too close behind me: "I got you on camera." Works surprisingly well. Not a bad camera for so little money, but it will send the obsessives among you, the engineers and the technofreaks too, up the wall because the facilities are so limited.

For a still camera I used, and still keep, a Canon Digital Ixus 300, pretty old now, and clunky, but I love it because of the zooming analogue viewfinder that lets me see what I'm photographing even in bright sunlight.

The reason I hate an Olympus D-720 I bought on impulse because of 10x wide to 20x zoom lens in a shirt pocket format is that in daylight I can't see a bloody thing on its huge LCD, and there's no analogue viewfinder.

For practical purposes, considering that I normally cycle in a party whom it would be rude to delay with trying to get the perfectly setup shot, the iPhone takes snapshots the equal of anything Olympus manages, and not quite as good as the Canon only because I had years to learn to get the best out of the Canon. As I said, I no longer carry the Canon or the Olympus on the bike.

onrbikes

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 10:14:23 am »
I used to use a Olympus E330 but found I missed too many shots because it was so big especially with the 2 lenses. Great pictures and easy to use though.

Now have a Lumix GF1 with 2 lenses and its the best. Small, great shots easy to use and great battery life. I do miss the viewfinder and am looking at a GF3 as it too has the micro 4/3 lens system.

Easy to get on Ebay too.

jags

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 11:23:35 am »
all these super camera and not one photo or video shame on yis all ;D ::)

ians

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 01:59:41 pm »

Now have a Lumix GF1 with 2 lenses and its the best. Small, great shots easy to use and great battery life. I do miss the viewfinder 

I had a GF1 - agreed a great camera - probably going to be a classic.  I used the LVF-1 viewfinder.  The 90 degree tilt made waist level shots a breeze.  There's one on ebay right now (not mine)

ians

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 02:11:52 pm »
I use an old Cannon 350D with a Tamron 28/300 zoom if I'm out with the intention of taking photographs.  Still not found a good way of fitting it into the bar bag as the body has a battery grip attached*.  Toying with the idea of a rack pack,  but open to suggestions.

Gill has a Cannon G10 compact which is just brilliant - 80% of the functions of a DSLR at ~30% of the weight/bulk and minimal faffing about.

We also have a Canon IXUS 860 which fits into a tri-bag on the top tube when one of us remembers to take it!

For 'snapshots' I use my Samsung phone which is ok in good lighting.

sdg

* I dabble in wildlife photography with a 400mm prime lens,  hence the extra batteries to keep up with the focussing motor.
Not that I'd take the 400 on the bike.

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 07:56:59 pm »
I use a Canon G9. A fairly compact little brick that can be fully auto to fully manual and it has a viewfinder which, as others have said, is essential. Used mostly for club run snapping and recording my tours. Examplehttp://www.smugmug.com/gallery/30958848_kgMdzf
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 09:19:30 pm »
For travel I leave the DSLRs at home.  Instead use a Pentax X90, a discontinued superzoom camera.  A replacement for it would be the Pentax X-5.
http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/digital-camera/X-5_Silver

I like a viewfinder that has an adjustment for my eyes, most point and shoot cameras do not have that but the Pentax does.  I also like to be able to take wildlife shots so the powerful telephoto is nice for that.

nztony

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 12:05:35 am »
I can heartily second the Canon G10 http://www.flickr.com/photos/nztony/sets/72157626227839436/
Although it is now 4 years old, so its replacement the G15 could be a good choice?
I am about to buy a touring bike, so I can not pretend to have relevant experience, but ... I do tramp/hike in the hills, tracks, trails, mountains here in New Zealand, so
carrying a small but competent camera is important to me too.

I use a Canon 5DMKII myself (similar in size to your 7D) and have carried that on overnight hikes but I always carry my G10 as well. I have recently added the (firmware updated)
Canon EOS M too, to see how it suits as a small replacement for a big DSLR and I have to say it is not too bad.
Canon EOM M http://www.flickr.com/photos/nztony/sets/72157634917526707/ and a ISO 3200 example here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nztony/9451258228

Being the owner of a high end DSLR like yourself, I find it hard to leave it at home as I always think if a photo is worth taking, it is worth taking with the best camera you own, but I am trying to be very brave and leave it at home and just carry my "M" and I think I could live with that. I would also always carry my G10 as well as the M as they would still only take up a tiny amount of space compared to your 7D and I like the idea of having a spare. Besides the G10 is super easy to take a self portrait (by putting it on a tree stump or picnic table etc) and then walk back into position (with the camera on its timer.) I find I am always in good focus with the G10 but it is super hard with my 5DMKII as you have nothing to focus on when you are setting up the camera!

I think another great choice would be the Fuji X100s which appears to be a stunning camera.

Fred A-M

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 01:22:59 am »
As a dormant cycle-tourer, and semi-professional photographer, the Fuji X100 gets my vote - unless you are wanting to sell your photos. 

I subscribe to the philosophy of always carrying the best camera that you can.   But given that carrying a decent DSLR and spare lens and kit is going to add 3Kg minimum to your weight, not to mention taking considerable space, committed photography and cycle-touring aren't necessarily the best of bed fellows.

The FX100 is a great camera, probably the best on the market in terms of spec/value for money at the moment.  The build and quality are great, has a stylish retro design and has virtually all the features that you'd expect of a DSLR - a highly versatile camera - it's not perfect but you'll be pushed to get better value in the £300 bracket.  I do in fact know of an individual successfully forging a career using the X100, using it primarily for BW pictures.  The Canon 5D MII is my own personal preference, but I would never take it cycle touring.

www.fredadams-photography.com 

mickeg

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 02:30:06 am »
I commented above that I use a Pentax X90 (discontinued model). 

Every trip I go on, I get home and realize just how few photos I take on rainy days.  My new Pentax WG-3 arrived yesterday, waterproof, so far looks good.  The version with the GPS reportedly eats batteries, I got the version without GPS.  The on line reviews suggested that the Olympus Tough might be a better waterproof camera, but I got the Pentax since I own quite a few other Pentax cameras.

The plan is to use the X90 when the weather is good, switch to the WG-3 in bad weather.  I have several spare batteries for each, but unfortunately the batteries are not interchangeable and neither are the chargers.

Donnydid

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 08:31:41 am »

Some interesting selections from you guys, I do love my 7D but as you say NZTony the weight
of the camera and a couple of lens would be quite heavy and that is something I am wanting
to eliminate. I used to own a G5 many moons ago and it was a great camera, very compact and
had a viewfinder something that is missing from a lot of todays cameras. Maybe I am old school
but I prefer to look through a viewfinder than looking at the screen at the back! lol
The G15 is shortly to be replaced by the G16 so the price for the G15 is quite good at the moment,
I am also interested in the 'M' but none of my friends have one so I dont know much about it.
Its all interesting stuff and I have until March to make my decision, ahhh decisions, decisions!