Author Topic: Trikes and tandems  (Read 13311 times)

Chris Land

Trikes and tandems
« on: November 24, 2003, 01:48:10 pm »
I am stuck with a quandry.  Should I buy a 2 wheeled tandem or a trike?  I want it to stick a small child on the back and some tandem riders have suggested that a trike is more stable when the child fidgets around.  Would this make much difference on a micro-childback?

As I want this for a fairly long (up to 2 years) tour with family and camping kit, comfort and stablility are crucial.  My other concern is the lack of public-transportability of a trike.  Is there anyway to pack these down to size or would I be better off with a regular tandem and SKS fittings?

julian

Re: Trikes and tandems
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 07:33:38 pm »
Chris, I would choose a tandem over a trike 'though have to admit I haven't ridden three wheels. My daughter has been on a trailerbike since she was just over three and stability on these is less than on our tandem. I'd have no hesitation taking her on a tandem. SKS fittings would probably be your best option for public transportability which isn't really much better on a tandem than a trike I don't suppose. Our Discovery tandem (I don't work for SJS Cycles!) just seems to feel better i.e. more stable - the more you load it. I think the 26" wheels help a lot. Good luck!

Chris Land

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 02:28:36 pm »
Thanks Julian, I'm still having a nightmare with this.  We've now tried a trike and my son (Nik) loved it so I am having one priced up, but they are expensive and have alot of extra, hard to find components...  Unfortunately everyone who has used one praises them and says its the way to go, whilst two-wheel tandem defenders are in a minority.  

I might just stick them both in the trailer for a year then have a tandem delivered to us whilst we're in Mongolia!

Istanbul_Tea

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 04:45:48 pm »
Chris-

That may actually be the best option... the trailer should work great at a touring pace anyway(plenty of time and opportunity to stretch legs, play and explore, etc).

julian

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 09:39:27 pm »
Chris - I just replied to you about my query but as I'm here... I see you're in Coventry so maybe a bit far to try a childback tandem at Thorn in Somerset. I'm amazed that more tandem defenders haven't come forward! Have you talked to anyone at Thorn? They're probably the world's best tandem advocates. How old are your kids? My daughter, who is four, has virtually grown up in her Burley. She still loves its cosy interior but her long legs don't fit inside its confines very well now. I think if your kids are happy in a trailer - especially if they're little - then go for that option. Presumably you and your partner are going? If so you could get a pair of childback tandems for £1400 - including non-standard child crankset which allows you to reposition the pedals along the cranks as their legs grow (apparently if your they pedal cranks too long/short it can affect the development of their knees).
Julian

John

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 08:36:51 pm »
We cycle camp as a family with my six year old on a Thorn kiddyback tandem (the basic model). The ride is great even on fast descents which is the weak point of trikes in my experience. He fidgets no more than my wife and as he only weighs 22kgs has little impact on the handling. As Julien says, cranks one tenth of the childs height are a must. He is happy at 50-60 kms a day now but used to fall asleep after 20 km when he was three.