Author Topic: how do you pack your big items?  (Read 6615 times)

mervynyan

how do you pack your big items?
« on: February 12, 2009, 08:57:02 pm »
I have a 4-season mountaineering sleeping bag, even in a compressed form, it is still big and can barely fit in my back roller classic. Same goes the one-person tent, footprint and sleeping pad. Do you carry these items on the rack or in your panniers? Where can I find a large water-proof bag? My local bike shop doesn't carry touring equipments.

Thanks,
merv

spoon boy

Re: how do you pack your big items?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:26:50 pm »
Hi Merv

I have ortliebs all round and they seem to do the job, best way to find out whats best for your sleeping bag/tent..take them with you to your local ortlieb supplier then try for size then net for best price

If you use the ortliebs then you can choose a side pannier or they do a dry bag in various sizes that ideally place it on your rack

http://www.ortlieb.com/_list.php?lang=en&produkt=6

julk

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 11:31:50 pm »
Merv,
I put the big items in a waterproof stuffsack on top of the rear rack.
I find the 35 litre a good size.
You can get them by mail order from SJS.

Julian

freddered

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:38:48 am »

That's my 3-seasons bag in a waterproof compression bag (Millets) on the rack.

It has a roll-top closure like Ortlieb panniers.  Then you just sit on it and pull on the straps to compress it. 

My sleep mat is folded and then goes in my pannier against the back plate of the pannier, I stuff the tent into the pannier.  If it was wet I would roll it up and put it on top of the pannier, secured by the carry straps.  The poles always live vertically in the pannier
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:41:21 am by freddered »

pastafarian

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:12:22 pm »
If you need waterproof, there is the Ortlieb Rack-pack that you can strap onto the Back rollers: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Ortlieb-Ortlieb-Rack-Pack-31-ltr-15610.htm

If absolute waterproofness is not a necessity, perhaps a Super C: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Carradice_of_Nelson-Carradice-Super-C-Cotton-Duck-Maxi-30-Litre-Stuffsack-621.htm

I got the latter because cotton duck is a breathing material and it's a lot cheaper than the Rack-pack (and better looking imo, even though it's paired with back rollers on my bike). It's also huge if you stuff it properly!  :-*

A rucksack (instead a stuff sack) may also come in handy, for when you want to leave the bike and go hiking. This one looks like it would fit the rack: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Ortlieb-Ortlieb-X-Plorer-Kit-Rucksack-Drybag-35-Litre-18202.htm
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:14:29 pm by pastafarian »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 01:15:30 am »
Older thread, ongoing problem, so...

Here's what I do:

My front pannier loads are stable; they contain everything I need for just about every trip except food, water, and my sleep system -- they contain my tools, cookset and stove, fuel, clothing, spare batteries, toilet kit, etc.

My handlebar bag load is stable; it contains my nibble-food, camera, phone, knife, mp3 player, camera, money, documents, batteries being charged by the TT ThePlug2, wind jacket, and hat.

My rear pannier side pockets contain my toilet paper in the form of tissue packets; rain gear, first aid kit, and spare shoes reside in dry sacks under the lid-caps of my rear Ortlieb Bike Packer panniers.  That load is stable as well.

All dynamic load adjustments made with the rear pannier contents and arrangement of the rack-top load.

The rear panniers' main compartments are devoted almost entirely to foodstuffs, which vary enormously in volume and weight depending on the duration of my tour.  They have their own lateral compression straps that allow the bags to accommodate different-sized loads.  I use a secondary vertical load-compression strap to tie the bags to the rack and prevent any rattling or movement.

For a minimal tour (an overnighter or a week or two; certainly anytime where I can count on regular food and water resupply) in the cold shoulder-seasons, my -17C down bag goes inside the rear panniers, balanced on the other side by the inflatable foam pad, each sharing space with my meager food stores.  In this scenario, my water is stored in the 6.5 liters' worth of bottles mounted in cages to the frame and steerer of my Sherpa.  Only the 1-person tent and my closed-cell foam sit-pad go atop the rear rack.  

For a more normal tour (1-2+ weeks, irregular food and water resupply), the sleeping bag, silk liner, air pillow, and foam pad go into a 35l Outdoor Research Durable Dry-sack ( http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/durable-dry-sack-5l.html ) crosswise across the rear rack, joined by the tent, also crosswise in its own stuffsack.  They ride atop the closed-cell foam sit-pad and the empty 10l MSR Dromedary water sack, all on the rack deck (the 10l water bag in this scenario is intended only to provide an in-camp water supply; it remains empty during the day) .  This is possible because with this kind of load, the panniers are partly empty and so the cap-lids and their contents ride level with the rack-top.

An expeditionary tour load (intended for multi-day unsupported tours in remote areas away from food and water resupply) is like the normal one, except the tent goes lengthwise along the rack, atop the sit-pad and the 10l MSR Dromedary filled with 6 liters of water (giving 12.5l total on-board capacity with 4l more in reserve if needed for the last short slog to a dry wild-camp in the deserts where I tour).  The dry sack with the sleeping bag, pad, liner and pillow goes crosswise atop it all, since the full cap-lids ride above the rack, level with the tent sack, forming a level surface.  The dry sack with the sleeping gear is held lengthwise by the two Arno straps and crosswise by the compression straps I always use to stabilize the panniers to the rack and prevent second-order vibrations.

Each of these load scenarios is stable while riding, and there's no wiggle-woggle to deal with.  I just adjust the load as needed for the amount of stuff I carry, and can change mid-tour using the same straps.  One reason to do so is after a mid-tour food resupply, where I might not have time to break-down packaging or carefully store everything efficiently.  Then, it is just a matter of throwing everything in the rear bags and rearranging the top load and I'm off.  The tent always stays outside atop the rack so it won't wet other things.  The pad and down sleeping bag always go inside either the rear Ortliebs or inside the OR dry sack, since they must stay dry.

Since the front load remains stable, so does the tire pressure for that tire.  The rear load is what changes, so I adjust tire pressure accordingly at that end.

Pics below show each load scheme from the side and rear.

Hope this helps; there's a million ways to do it, but these are the methods I've settled on after many years and they work well for me.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:07:09 am by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 07:26:03 am »
Normal load

Expedition load

In both cases my down sleeping bag is kept nice and safe in the right rear pannier, stove and mess-kit in the left pannier. My tent, sleeping mat and camp stool are in the top bag, with spare shoes and/or water bag under it, between the panniers.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:28:57 am by il padrone »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 07:33:42 am »
What a nice setup, Pete (il padrone).  D'ya know...I saw your second photo on another forum (BNA); it inspired me to place my 10l MSR Dromedary (filled to 6l) in the same location.   ;D

That's an ExtraWheel trailer?  Very nicely set-up each way, looks wonderful.

Oh!  The Ortlieb spare pockets front and rear; how do you like them, and if I may ask, what sorts of things do you put in them?  I envisioned keeping them inside the main compartment as a way to organize things that could leak into the general contents, then moving them outside as need calls to free up some more space (say, for food resupply).  Is that how you use them, or do they stay "outside" all the time?

You mentioned putting the tent, sleeping mat and camp stool in the top bag.  Any problems with getting the other items (pad in particular) wet if you have to break camp in the rain with a wet tent, or does it all work out okay?  Terrific photos of a fine-looking setup.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:57:37 am by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 10:36:04 am »
Hmm... small world with these forums  ;)

Yes, it is an Extrawheel trailer - works well for extra luggage. I mainly used it for my 9 week outback tour from Melbourne to Oodnadatta last year.

The Ortlieb pockets are great. I only use them mounted outside on the panniers. I carry little extras that I might need during the day - snack bars and other food, spare ockie strap, bottle of chain lube and rag, sometimes my sunglasses.

The tent, sleeping mat and campstool in the rack bag are my accommodation. Never had any real issues with a wet tent making everything else wet. The sleeping mat doesn't get very wet (tent is in its bag, sleeping mat is rolled up so only a little bit is contacting the tent bag).  If it does get wet at all, it dries very quick.

Cheers
Pete
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:38:08 am by il padrone »

Planet X

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 03:37:13 pm »
Just playing around waiting for the dinner.......

Contents; Vaude Hogan Ultralight 2 man, Footprint and Pegs all stuffed into a 12L. Ortlieb PS 10 Dry Bag.
              Deuter Treklite 300 down sleeping bag.
              Thermarest Neo Air.
              Long Trekking trousers, half zipped. (Not the lightest but TKmaxx bargain)

4.5kg. incl. pannier weight.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 03:38:55 pm by Planet X »