Author Topic: Which is better for fitness?  (Read 1772 times)

in4

Which is better for fitness?
« on: July 30, 2013, 05:02:10 pm »
Having has a reassuring MOT recently I'm keen to keep up my level of fitness and if possible improve it. With around 2kg excess baggage I was considering whether it could be lost more quickly by doing some speed work on an audax type machine or putting the miles in on a tourer. Any suggestions ( apart from cutting down on the pies and Guinness that is!)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Which is better for fitness?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:52:20 pm »
With around 2kg excess baggage I was considering whether it could be lost more quickly by doing some speed work on an audax type machine or putting the miles in on a tourer.
Ian, I have a suggestion for losing it far more quickly! Since this excess baggage is no doubt in a saddlebag, racktop pack, or panniers, simply leave them on overnight while the bike is locked in a sketchy area. I can guarantee the excess baggage will be gone come morning!  :D

All kidding aside, I have always found interval training really burned-off the calories quickly. One can make it as "scientific" or as simple as you want, but it basically means going full-tilt, then recovering with lower-intensity riding, then going full-tilt again, repeated.

Hill-climbing certainly seems to burn-off more of my own calories.

The choice of riding faster and with higher intensity (Audax) versus more miles on the tourer (with load) is a bit apples-to-oranges in that your VO2Max will vary as will the time you spend at your aerobic threshold -- it is just going to exercise you differently.

Strangely, I find the harder I work on the bike, the more I lose my appetite, and I have to actively remind myself to eat (unlike at home, where I *definitely* know it is mealtime and food is too readily available to meet the need). I lose about 1lb/.45kg each day I am on-tour. Part of it is the continuous exercise, and part of it is down to my "camp diet". I do also process more water through my system, so perhaps that washes away some of the nutrients I would otherwise consume.

One thing that seems to those I know who wish to lose wight -- if at home, go with a smaller plate. It still looks about as full proportionally, but simply has less volume than on a full-size dinner plate. Portion control really does help, as does eating till one is *just* full -- and the no more.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

ianshearin

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 06:02:36 pm »
2kg overweight, bah your a lightweight Ian.....

This is an area I do have a lot of interest in, I have been a keen and competitive sportsman all my adult life and have also battled with keeping my weight competitive.

Some facts you may be interested in:

1kg of body fat is approximately equivalent to 3,500 calories, dont get too hung up on the figure though it is very approximate but gives a basic idea.

For me at my body weight and cadence I use up about 800 calories per hour of cycling, so if I cycle for about 4.5 hrs I can lose 1kg, as long as I dont pig out that day then thats 1kg down.....
Calorie expenditure varies considerably for us all so you may want to find out how much you expend for your size etc.

Work out how to do about 10 hours of cycling without eating extra calories and thats your 2kg done and dusted ...

Sounds easy doesnt it...  ;D
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 06:03:09 pm »
Eat less exercise more, sounds simple i've been trying it on and off for years still 2 stone overweight. ;D ;D.
seriously its all down to what you eat,i'm a geek for eating sweet things ::) just can't help myself, but this morning i had a good check up with the doctor  all went well enough but yeah he did tell me to eat less sweet things and keep cycling and walking ;D.
so i'm gonna have another go at losing a stone or two just got to stay away from the cokie jar. ;)

honesty

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 09:02:24 am »
Look up the Tabata Protocol. It does amazing things for fat burning (with a side benefit of greatly increasing your VO2Max, which is what is was designed for).

Steady state exercise like you get from touring will increase your calorie burn but to get the same benefit as doing HIIT you need to do it for far longer.