Author Topic: Clipless cycling shoes/pedals for touring: Suggestions?  (Read 37981 times)

il padrone

Re: Clipless cycling shoes/pedals for touring: Suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2013, 09:13:15 am »
Hiya Dan

If you can get a workaround to make Shimano SPD shoes fit, then I use a nice black pair of MT43 shoes, I don't think they are the latest model but still available at CRC :-

I use a similar pair, but the MT-41 I think, without the velcro strap, and have been very happy with them

The XT pedals you mentioned look like the type that require a large hex wrench to fit and/or undo -

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27034&_$ja=tsid:46412|cgn:Park+Tool+-+Tools+-+Allen+Key/Wrench|cn:Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE|kw:84840UK_Hex+Wrench+Tool&gclid=CNCMrIqaz7gCFQ_LtAodKjcAUw

Andy Blance once stated that was an extra tool too heavy to carry on tour.

Any pedals that lack wrench flats are the devils spawn IMHO. Hex-keys to remove/fit pedals just don't cut it. Andy is rather misguided too - on tours where pedal removal may be a possibility I take a standard 15mm spanner as part of my tool-kit, very worthwhile.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:16:41 am by il padrone »

triaesthete

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 11:51:56 am »
Hi Dan

one observation I have re Shimano SPD pedals is this:

All the high end stuff with good bearings (xt, ultegra etc) is also built to reduce weight and is therefore fitted with a slender spindle  with hex (allen) key drive.

Only the cheaper pedals have 15mm spanner flatted spindles and also rougher and shorter lived bearings. Usually the bearings wear out ahead of the cleats. 

(However the cheapest way to get new cleats is to buy the cheapest pedals and sell them on having removed the cleats. There is only one grade of cleat I think,but beware there are two types offering different release modes.)

Can someone provide  a scenario where pedals need removing on a tour? As a domestic user I'm struggling to imagine one  :P

In regard to spd shoes I have found the following:

Higher end Shimano cross country racing type shoes are most walk/runnable whilst still isolating pedal pressures from the foot. Also, the rubberised soles, whilst not the lightest, give superb grip and security.

Many other cheaper XC shoes and some lightweight high end stuff use more rigid and lighter plastic outsoles with less grip and walkability.

I found the trainer type Shimano spd shoes too flexible and hotspot prone.

I am currently experimenting with SKS Lambda (aka grip king) pedals   http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/pe1.htm  but have not got as far as fitting studs yet.

Happy experimenting

Ian

julk

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2013, 12:51:46 pm »
To avoid carrying a 8mm allen key I bought one of these and use the 8mm adaptor with a 6mm allen key.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/icetoolz-icetoolz-hex-key-set-2-25-3-4-5-6-8-mm-prod29026/

mickeg

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2013, 01:00:56 pm »
Yup -- I run the M324 pedals on my bikes and like them a lot. I can use conventional shoes on the quill side, and SPDs on the SPD side.

At home I usually use some Ritchey double sided SPD pedals, but on tour I prefer the M324.  Having the ability to wear normal shoes for a restaurant run or trip to the grocery store in the evening is great.

On my trip this year after two very wet rainy days, my cycling shoes were soaked.  The next day I wore my trail running shoes instead of the cycle shoes, that made the M324 pedals even better.

I do not recall if your Nomad is S&S version or not, if so the S&S wrench provided by Thorn has the 15mm part that fits this pedal.

I think you will find the M324 quite a bit cheaper at some on-line outlets compared to REI pricing.

If you have any hot foot problems, try moving the cleat on the shoe closer to the heel, I would move it about 3-5mm at a time until you get it about right.  I have no clue what your specific foot shape issues are but I can say that I am very happy using Superfeet insoles, they have several different thicknesses available.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 03:34:58 pm by mickeg »

jags

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2013, 01:08:12 pm »
To avoid carrying a 8mm allen key I bought one of these and use the 8mm adaptor with a 6mm allen key.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/icetoolz-icetoolz-hex-key-set-2-25-3-4-5-6-8-mm-prod29026/
well thats niftist little thing i've ever seen  ;D ;D

il padrone

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2013, 01:37:46 pm »
The Topeak Alien has a similar 8mm adaptor. I would hate to use it for removing or tightening any pedals though. It has a 15mm pedal spanner fitting as well,  and that would be equally woeful to use.

Can someone provide  a scenario where pedals need removing on a tour? As a domestic user I'm struggling to imagine one  :P

To take pedals off when you are going to travel by plane and need to pack the bike up for the luggage handling. Another critical time that I have struck is to tighten your pedal when it has worked it self loose.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:35:12 pm by il padrone »

jags

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2013, 03:58:27 pm »
i always use copper grease on pedals .
mind you it's hard to beat real tools  ::)

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2013, 04:34:56 pm »
I do not recall if your Nomad is S&S version or not, if so the S&S wrench provided by Thorn has the 15mm part that fits this pedal.
Exactly! Everybody's coupler wrench seems to also be a pedal wrench, since you'll have to take the pedals off to pack. My Nomad has couplers,so I always have a pedal wrench.

il padrone

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2013, 04:43:04 pm »
I find the full size wrench to be a much better tool for the job than the EBB tool - always take it when I'm going by air or on longer trips. Weight penalty is minor really.

jags

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2013, 04:58:53 pm »
I find the full size wrench to be a much better tool for the job than the EBB tool - always take it when I'm going by air or on longer trips. Weight penalty is minor really.

100% agree .

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2013, 06:56:28 pm »
Hi All!

Oh...my! I have opened Pandora's Box, whose lid I kept firmly squashed for so many years by remaining a Cycling Anachronism.

35 years ago, I found shoes that pretty well kinda-sorta fit my weirdly skinny feet (with insoles and orthotics and wedges atop that) and they had super-stiff nylon soles encapsulating a steel plate and replaceable cleats. I walked like a duck off the bike, but soared like an eagle on it. I bought extra pairs and put away when I could and have been using them ever since.

Life was good.

Those same shoes fit my very nice road-quill pedals at the time, but I found even better pedals in my 250g SunTour Superbe Pros...pedals so nice, I bought *7* pairs of them for my bikes and rode them collectively well over 150,000mi/241,000km entirely maintenance-free. A couple pairs have over 32,000mi/51,500km on them and are still smooth as new though they've been subjected to every element except outright submersion. Never had to even think about them, except their unique cage spacing meant I had to reset my cleats or use another pair of shoes when switching to different pedals on my remaining bikes.

Life was great!

Then...!  Detto stopped making the shoes and the nylon Pavarin cleats are no longer available, even as old stock. I still have *three* unused spare pairs of of Detto shoes/cleats left and 10 or so other bikes that require cleats-on-quill pedals. All of those bikes, I'm likely to use the Dettos to just ride. The Nomad, I'm likely to ride and walk or push to a degree -- enough to quickly wear-out my cleats and that essentially means the shoes as well. I can't afford to swap the whole fleet of bikes over to clipless pedals, so if I do just the Nomad, the rest can continue to live in a Bicyclist's Brigadoon where it is still 35 years ago...and they can likely do so for the next decade or two if I use care. I also have laid-in a supply of toe clips and straps.

Now I'm coming into the future all at once and Life doesn't seem as Good in some ways.

I have to admit to future-shock on several fronts here myself (says Rip van Dan, coming up for air):

• These new SPD-compatible shoes and (some sort of) clipless-cleat pedals sure make for a lot of rotating mass and a heavy system.
• It appears I'm unlikely to get the sort of pedal bearing life I've come to take for granted with my SunTour Superbe Pros.
• It appears it is going to be hard to get a good fit, so I will need to build-into the shoe; that is expected, but I have to get something fairly close.

• It occurs to me I could go with a "racing" clipless system and pretty much duplicate what I have with the Dettos/clips, leaving the old shoes for the old pedals on the other bikes. The "racing-roadie" shoes fit much better than the MTB shoes, but I can't walk in them. I suspect they are more frangible in walking than even my old nylon-soled Dettos.

• Walkability -- however limited -- seems worthwhile with the Nomad for its intended purpose and use. If I can get off and occasionally push the bike, clump into a little store without falling down or marring their floors, use a primitive restroom or put up the tent, then that's pretty nifty. I got away with the Dettos when touring with my other bikes, but the loads were less and the margins were greater. I'll simply need to walk more often with the Nomad in the kind of use it will get.

• The Shimano MT43 shoes Jim (Relayer) linked to pretty much exactly fit my mental image of what I'm after if they're stiff enough. They also come in black, the roadie-traditional "proper" color for cycling shoes -- yay! They tick all the boxes for me, and even combine laces with Velcro, something I haven't seen before. In trying on shoes yesterday, I tried several from Pearl Izumi that looked like trainers adapted for cycling use. The walked the best of all the shoes, but looked as if they would offer the least pedal stiffness/isolation, which would be a Bad Thing for me. I'd much rather go as stiff as possible on the pedal for the greatest isolation from hot-spots and nerve pain.

• I've given a lot of thought to the matter of dual-use pedals (platform on one side, clipless on the other), and have concluded for most of my remote-country touring I'm unlikely to ride the bike in anything but bike shoes (having busted the fat sacs in my feet riding too much in unsupportive trainers early on). So, bike ride = helmet + bike shoes for me. My current pedals (and the little nub or "quill" at the outside of the cage, so named 'cos it resembled a writer's nib) limit me to cycling shoes only; trainers or casual shoes are uncomfortable on the cages and the wider shoe soles overhang the cages and the quill hurts under foot. If I rode into town from camp to restaurant, I'd likely use the bike shoes and carry another pair of shoes and switch once I arrived. I sometimes carry a small pocket-foldable backpack or fanny pack for such things.

• The main purpose for me to consider a dual-use pedal would be to grab any pedal surface on rough, steep startups to get the pedals spinning till I could click-in. I sometimes pedal on the back of my quill pedals for a stroke or two till I can enter the clips/straps. On the other hand, if a dual-sided pedal would allow me to click-in right away, then I'd much prefer that so I could get going at full speed soonest.

• I think I'd like a pedal wider than the "SPD-only" perch so I could avoid hot-spots and get a little more surface area underfoot. The SPD's with either a formed metal pontoon or a plastic "horse collar" around the SPD latch would seem to fill the bill in that regard. It looks like Pete's Time ATAC pedals would, too, and they come in both narrowish and horse-collared versions as well.

• Never having ridden clipless pedals, I'm concerned I'll trash my knees. My Detto cleats had "no" float, but have worn over time to where there's about 4°, which should mean I can use anything and still be fine.

• I'm a bit disturbed many of the better pedals lack wrench flats. I rarely remove my pedals except when flying with a bike, and my non-separable Nomad came with a 15mm pedal wrench at the end of the eccentric wrench as well as an 8mm box wrench for the EX shifter. My multi-tool has a slim 15mm wrench that is unlikely to reach proper tightening torque for pedals even if combined with the 6mm allen key in the other half. I do have a little 6mm->8mm adapter sleeve like Julian's (from my CoolTool kit) that I could use to tighten or loosen an 8mm pedal. It would be a nuisance, but the only reason for me to carry it in most cases would be to either remove the pedal for air travel, for service, or to tighten the pedal if it became loose. An inconvenience to carry another tool, sure, but not a stopper for me if the 8mm socket meant I also got better bearings. I need to look more closely at those Time ATACs.

-  -  -  -

Thanks to everyone's contributions, I feel my needs are coming into focus and I can better seek a solution that will work for me. Not really sure what that will be yet, but I'm much closer. Next task is to find a shoe that can be made to fit.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2013, 08:04:31 pm »
dan the pedals julk recommended i reckon are the pick of the crop and the shimano shoes your onto a winner. the roadie shoes with the bigger cleats you will not walk in then i guarantee that.
as for clipping in well you will do it in a nano second  ;D ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2013, 08:18:37 pm »
They look very good indeed, jags. Hovering right there near the top of my list. Gotta find shoes first. Off to Performance here in a few moments to see what they have in stock and to try on more.

Best,

Dan. (...who is coming to grips with all this and is moving forward with cries of "Step on it!")

mickeg

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2013, 08:26:28 pm »
Regarding wearing out your shoes and cleats, have you tried Shoe Gu?
http://www.rei.com/product/679240/sof-sole-shoe-goo
Amazing stuff.  You can build up your soles that you wore off.  As long as your shoe uppers stay in one piece you can keep repairing your shoe bottoms.  I tried some on some old deck shoes that were due to be discarded, I built up the worn parts of the soles with several layers and have many more miles of use for those shoes.

jags

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2013, 08:36:05 pm »
that stuff would work great on sidewall rips me thinks.