Author Topic: Across The Kimberley: Australia: Thorn Sherpa  (Read 3080 times)

Vintagetourer

Across The Kimberley: Australia: Thorn Sherpa
« on: July 20, 2013, 10:14:58 am »
With two friends I recently rode The Gibb River Road from Kununurra to Derby in far north western Australia.
A wonderful tour. Magnificent countryside and testament to the Thorn Sherpa's suitability for long, rough, dirt roads.
If you are keen to know:
Where to get the only fresh scones, jam and cream on the superbly corrugated Gibb River Road?
How to burn wood in a donkey to heat water?
When to tap a Boab tree for water?
Where to cycle across the Pentecost River to avoid crocs eating your Thorn's tyres?
Know whether an overturning caravan will flip or roll when it hits a pothole?

Then have a quick squiz at this blog about us cycling across the Kimberley. It's mostly pics.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/12208

Regards Graham Smith Canberra Australia

jags

Re: Across The Kimberley: Australia: Thorn Sherpa
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:42:47 am »
crocks on loose on darwin beach. man that is classic what a tour not sure i would manage a tour like that but it looks fantastic tough tough tough. ;)

in4

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:49:36 am »
Love the NT so this post is right up my street. Crocs on the beach in Darwin is a frequent occurrence. I used to jump of the boat in Darwin harbour for a cool down, not anymore!

A fascinating read too, with lots of useful information for those who intend to head that way before too long.  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:17:52 pm by in4 »

Hamish

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 09:49:51 am »
Thanks for posting that.

I really enjoyed the journal. Made me want to follow in your footsteps.  It's a long way from Swanea though!

Vintagetourer

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:51:18 pm »
Made me want to follow in your footsteps.  It's a long way from Swanea though!

Thanks Hamish. I hope the blog does encourage a few other Thorn owners to ride The Gibb River Road. And yes it is a long way from just about everywhere. From the UK I guess you'd be best to fly to Singapore or Perth, then get a Virgin or Qantas flight to Kununurra. Or go via Darwin.
Other than the unpredictable road surface, the ride itself is not particularly long or tough, and the region is outstanding. It is getting to the ride area which is the challenge. The tyranny of distance!