Author Topic: New Tyre Advice  (Read 5288 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: New Tyre Advice
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 04:59:53 pm »
Congratulations, Andy; that looks like a very nice tire, and should address several shortcomings in other models for your needs.

I concur, the Dureme's sidewalls (like the Supreme's, on which it is based) are on the fragile side. I think for my use, the only time it would be an issue I'd have to watch would be on gravel roads consisting of heavy, sharp-edged ballast rock, where the tire could sort of "fall down" between the rocks where the sidewalls would get pinched. On otherwise ordinary gravel roads, dirt, or other off-roading, I've found them to be good, but not as great as a more dedicated dirt tire with larger and more aggressive knobs. The Dureme really is/was a "jack of all trades" tire, but the Marathon Deluxe looks like a real winner also. I surely like the tread design.

Just as an aside, I think Schwalbe has introduced a number of very interesting refinements to their existing line since declaring the newer tires e-bike compatible.

Looking forward to the first ride reports, Andy!

Best,

Dan.

Andybg

Re: New Tyre Advice
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 05:06:09 pm »
Thanks Dan

Have bought some wider p65 mudguards to go with the wider tyres so that I can do one mudguard set up for these and the slightly wider (bet needing much more clearance) 2.1 Ice Spiker Tyres.

I am hoping that with the reduced weight and lower rolling resistance I should be able to move from 1.75 standard marathons to a 2" at lower pressure without marked additional effort but improved comfort and flexibility for some offroad adventures.

I am far less concerned about the Tour with its Rohloff than I was with the Nomad and getting my lovely clean gears dirty so looking forward to some investigating.