Author Topic: Torx Upgrade  (Read 14699 times)

stutho

• Administrator
Torx Upgrade
« on: February 28, 2006, 11:18:13 am »
I have recently changed all my accessory (mudguards, racks, bottles, etc) fixings over to stainless Torx.  My thinking is that Torx is more thief proof and as a added bonus is much harder to round than Allen bolts.  As the Rohloff uses Torx I need to carry Torx keys anyway.

I would like to go all the way and get rid of all (or nearly all) Allan bolts on the bike

Does anyone know were I can source stainless Torx cap head bolts that would be suitable for the stem?

Thanks

Stutho

graham

Re: Torx Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 08:16:53 pm »
I use Action Fixings in Colchester for any small quantities of
unusual stuff I want. Haven Road, Colchester, Essex. CO2 8HT. 01206 792152. Not internetted up, so no website to visit.

I've got some security (pin) Torx button heads, M5 x 20 thread for my bikes from them. Probably A2 grade rather than the more corrosion resistant A4. But I think either would be OK on a bike for most people.

They apparently have a sort of loose arrangment with other similar outlets in other parts of the country, but if not they probably would post.

graham

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 08:18:52 pm »
I use Action Fixings in Colchester for any small quantities of
unusual stuff I want. Haven Road, Colchester, Essex. CO2 8HT. 01206 792152. Not internetted up, so no website to visit.

I've got some security (pin) Torx button heads, M5 x 20 thread for my bikes from them. Probably A2 grade rather than the more corrosion resistant A4. But I think either would be OK on a bike for most people.

They apparently have a sort of loose arrangment with other similar outlets in other parts of the country, but if not they probably would post.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 08:41:03 am »
Thanks Graham,  have you replaced all the Allan bolts or just the accessory?

graham

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 07:18:18 pm »
I got the latest batch mainly to do the rack fixings because cap head screws were wearing holes in the bottom of the panniers. I haven't actually fitted them yet. But most things on a bike seem to be M5, and I think button heads look sleeker than cap head screws so that's the main reason for going for a change. The Torx bit is just along the lines of 'why not if I'm doing it anyway'. I haven't tried to get a Torx headset bolt yet, but the company above would probably be as good a bet for it as any. At a guess, it'd be M6 x 40 or so, would it?

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 10:06:42 pm »
I think mine are M5 but It has to be cap head can't get them local only button head.  Also nead to change the seat post clamp and the saddle rail clamp.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 10:07:55 pm »
(and the stem clamp)

RJC

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 12:27:24 am »
A couple of places to try for Torx (button head) screws is
Clerkenwell Screws just around the corner from Condor Cycles
or
Drews of Reading, <10 mins walk from the station.
http://www.drews.uk.com

I can't think of anywhere that sells Torx screws in socket cap
head style.

Robin

RJC

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 12:29:34 am »
A couple of places to try for Torx (button head) screws is
Clerkenwell Screws just around the corner from Condor Cycles
or
Drews of Reading, <10 mins walk from the station.
http://www.drews.uk.com

I can't think of anywhere that sells Torx screws in socket cap
head style.

Robin

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 10:48:31 am »
Thanks Robin.  

I can get the button heads locally but the cap heads are vey hard to find.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 10:50:47 am »
Thanks Robin.  

I can get the button heads locally but the cap heads are vey hard to find.

tynevalleycommuter

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 11:42:51 am »
TORX and caphead don't really go together - one of the reasons for TORX is increased security, and a caphead (unless recessed - as in a stem) can be gripped with pliers or grips.

This is presumably why TORX screws are normally button head or countersunk and hard to find (or non-existent)in cap head.

If you are really really want to vandal-proof the bars and stem etc you could use a cap screw and drill out the hexagon after fitting. Only way to then remove would be to drill on down to the base of the cap - a bit drastic and doesn't allow for retightening!

tynevalleycommuter

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 11:45:05 am »
TORX and caphead don't really go together - one of the reasons for TORX is increased security, and a caphead (unless recessed - as in a stem) can be gripped with pliers or grips.

This is presumably why TORX screws are normally button head or countersunk and hard to find (or non-existent)in cap head.

If you are really really want to vandal-proof the bars and stem etc you could use a cap screw and drill out the hexagon after fitting. Only way to then remove would be to drill on down to the base of the cap - a bit drastic and doesn't allow for retightening!

RJC

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 02:54:03 pm »
With larger allen key socket cap screws it is possible
to modify the screw yourself to create a security
screw. I have done this on a stainless M8 screw to
replace a standard seatpost saddle clamp bolt.
I drilled a short hole in the middle of the head
and glued a section of nail into the hole.

Robin

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 10:05:03 pm »
tynevalleycommuter:

Doh - that explains why I cant find one.  
Thanks