Author Topic: Timothy Spall..  (Read 10214 times)

cuddy duck

Timothy Spall..
« on: November 16, 2003, 01:18:11 am »
what was the name of the movie where Spall played the wannabe restauranteur whose new eaterie flopped awfully? This Thorn forum reminds me of that somewhat. Is there really enough to say about Thorn bikes to keep a forum going?
Is the Thorn Forum the Black Pudding in Lager avec du sauce Mars Bar of Cycling Forums? If not how would you describe it?
I'm off, heard there's a party aboard the Marie Celeste..

TimCPike

Re: Timothy Spall..
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 12:35:20 pm »
I don't think that this forum is meant to be entirely devoted to Thorn bikes, though there are some who may gain that impression and steer clear as a result.

I think it is merely "another" cycling forum which (by the nature of Thorn bikes and probably those who will find it as a result) will probably veer towards touring and tandemming enthusiasts.

Owing to the present composition of the members list most of the debate amongst us happens on the C+ boards, but as the membership develops it will develop a feel of its own.

It is starting from scratch (rather than being the product of a deceased board), so it will require time for people to find here and new ground to be covered...

Chris Land

Re: Timothy Spall..
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 10:32:38 am »
Hard to say.  In some instances these kind of fora are a deliberate marketing strategy based around building customer relationships and ensuring the continuation of a social identity constructed from consumer choice - about the limits of identity politics in a post-modern capitalist state...  In that case it really depends on how many sad afficianados (guilty) there are who lack a life outside their network of shopping choices (C+, Thorn, etc.).

OR, it might become an interesting touring and tandeming forum as Tim suggests.

As it stands it seems to be mostly about C+ members playing and people asking questions of Thorn about their bikes - just another customer communication channel really.