Author Topic: Shimano or Campagnolo?  (Read 20408 times)

TimBooth

Shimano or Campagnolo?
« on: November 13, 2003, 04:22:44 pm »
I am buying a new bike and want to know which is better?

Please help by starting a protracted argument in which neither camp fully answers the question, but simply slags down the opposition.  I will then purchase whatever the best deal in the shop is, regardless of the kit on it!!

Thanks very much!![;)]

nickwill

Re: Shimano or Campagnolo?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 04:57:17 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by TimBooth

Please help by starting a protracted argument in which neither camp fully answers the question, but simply slags down the opposition.  I will then purchase whatever the best deal in the shop is, regardless of the kit on it!!

Thanks very much!![;)]

No you dont!!![:D]
You didnt state whether or not you intended to wear a helmet when on said apocryphal bike. [;)]

James

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 11:38:51 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by TimBooth

Thanks very much!![;)]

Are you suggesting that either manfacturer is good/bad and only the price matters[?]

simplesbharris

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 02:25:28 pm »
Forget all of that! will you be stopping at the red lights, on your bike with the aforementioned kit & helmet?

Shim by the way (just coz it is, and their fishin' rods look way cool in the argos catalogue)[:p][;)]

simplesbharris

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 02:35:45 pm »
AHHHH James. I now understand your posting on this muppet thread! It's coz you actually asked that very question, in another, much more seriouse section of the forum!

Please mate cat or dog? which is better? get everyone to answer that!

TimCPike

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 12:36:53 pm »
Marmite

nickwill

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2003, 10:12:33 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by TimCPike

Marmite

So I've heard[;)]

TimCPike

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2003, 12:05:04 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Danger Mouse

Shimano,Shimano,Shimano,

Campag, err no.

Is that your final answer? [;)]

I suppose if Campag could make something suitable to run a tandem with I could be more interested...

Istanbul_Tea

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2003, 01:35:57 pm »
I have known people that use Campy because they think it's All That.  Bling, bling, you know?

Then there are those Shimano Sissies too.

Personally, I use neither.  When I bought my titanium/carbon/zercon alloy frame for $45,000.00 dollars I made the decision to study engineering, aerotech design and stress philosophies and after I obtained PhD's in all these fields I simply began making my own components in my garage in my spare time.

Go "Homemade" I say... it's cheaper.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2003, 07:00:41 pm »
Be interested to see that Istanbul_Tea!

Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano!

Campag? er no thanks, I would rather have Sora on my bike than Campagnolo Record 10 speed!

Shimano stuff has parts avalibility, is very proven kit, and I have only ever seen a few genuine warranty problems.

Campag stuff has no parts avalibility, is very proven kit if you change it after every race, and I have seen piles of genuine warranty problems.

TimCPike

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2003, 12:34:57 pm »
Could someone please persuade Shimano that we would like a friction shifter for the front mech integrated into the STI levers. That would make for a nicer system. I can see the advantage of the Campag shifter with some ability to trim the mech.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 12:35:41 pm by TimCPike »

nickwill

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2003, 02:13:04 pm »
quote:

Could someone please persuade Shimano that we would like a friction shifter for the front mech integrated into the STI levers. That would make for a nicer system. I can see the advantage of the Campag shifter with some ability to trim the mech.

Thats exactly why I'm having a Centaur triple on my next bike. I'm fed up with fiddling around with a 105 front mech.

TimCPike

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2003, 06:02:59 pm »
The present system on the tandem is a bar-end shifter for the front mech and STI for the back. It works well as a combination I just inevitably fail to change gears successfully having just switched between bikes.

nickwill

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2003, 06:45:03 pm »
quote:

The present system on the tandem is a bar-end shifter for the front mech and STI for the back. It works well as a combination I just inevitably fail to change gears successfully having just switched between bikes.

Very Lance Armstrong![;)]
I believe he has a downtube shifter for the front mech.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2003, 08:17:35 pm »
quote:
Thats exactly why I'm having a Centaur triple on my next bike. I'm fed up with fiddling around with a 105 front mech

Not bothered that Campagnolo wont be able to supply some key part of the gearing system in 3 yrs time?