Author Topic: Rohloff - What's YOUR Opinion ?  (Read 183303 times)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
Re: Rohloff - What's YOUR Opinion ?
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2013, 11:22:47 am »
Ads

I have attached an image from the Rohloff Manual showing how to adjust the position of the gear indicator. Click on the image to expand and you should be able to read it.

I found it is worth buying the Rohloff Service Manual to better understand the Rohloff system.

Any further questions and someone on the forum will be glad to advise.

ads677

« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2013, 11:28:14 am »
Thanks StuntPilot, looks straightforward enough.

Ads

il padrone

« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2013, 11:54:11 am »
You should not need to BUY the service manual. It's available for download on the Rohloff website (in English) for free, along with the owner's manual and the mounting (installation) manual. I had to download all as I bought the hub from Germany..... with German manuals  :-[

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2013, 12:19:32 pm »
True! I should have said 'get hold of'. They can be found here ...

http://www.rohloff.de/en/service/downloads/documentation/index.html

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2013, 02:45:48 pm »
As a matter of interest, where does your gear selector point?  On my newly acquired Raven the pointer (or beak!) points in between the numbered gear selected, meaning I am not (yet) aware of which gear I have selected.
Hi Ads!

To read about my similar experience, see this post incorporating some of Andre's comments: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4573.msg22471#msg22471

I have made no effort to tighten my cables 'cos shifting still functions fine and has never missed a shift to date. I don't want to make the cable too tight for appearance' sake over function. Remember, the indexing is in the hub and the lever simply reflects where the shifting shaft is in its travel and is the result in part of cable tension.

Coming from a derailleur-based road bike background, I was initially a bit disturbed by the apparent lack of precision, but in practice it really doesn't matter on the Rohloff, which is shifted more by need.

Best,

Dan. (...whose Rohloff still works fine with cables a bit slack from new)

Andre Jute

« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2013, 05:49:13 pm »
As a matter of interest, where does your gear selector point?  On my newly acquired Raven the pointer (or beak!) points in between the numbered gear selected, meaning I am not (yet) aware of which gear I have selected.

Or is this something that can easily be remedied by adjusting the twist-grip?

Ads

There is usually around one stop of play to either side of the gear you're actually in. Messing around at the handlebar end will get you nothing except perhaps a need to buy new cables and pay a professional to fit them. If you're obsessive, you could centre the play on the actual gear by adjusting the knurled nuts on the EXT box where the cables enter it. See the handbook. But most people with experience with the Rohloff, or good advice available, perhaps from a forum like this one, don't bother. The chain on a Rohloff transmission, and the cables to it, are supposed to be loosey goosey, as Sheldon Brown so memorably described the peculiar precision only on the outside of the Rohloff gearbox. After a while you'll wonder why you ever wondered: you'll just change gears up and down as you need them, by the seat of your pants, without noticing that you're changing gears.

I rode 18km today across various pieces of flat and inclined road and at no time could I tell you the number of the gear I was in, though I knew which gear I was in: the right gear, which, in combination with the road, would put my heart rate at 115bpm. Every time the heart rate changed more than marginally, the device would beep and I would change a gear, meanwhile carrying on a conversation with the pedal pals, who were struggling with derailleurs.

sd

« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2014, 07:50:01 am »
     God made Rohloff, disc brakes and Marathon Plus for people like me who have to cycle to the pub on unlit rural pubs, where badgers, deer, pheasants and trees like to jump out at you for know reason whatsoever.
    God made Rohloff, disc brakes and Marathon plus for lazy bastards like me who want to do bugger all maintance whatsoever but will settle for a little!
    God made Rohloff, disc brakes and Marathon Plus for people like me who can add up and therefore know that in the long run they will save money and therefore be able to spend it on important things like
 beeeeeer.
    PS the first paragraph should read cycling back from the pub!
    PPS The Badgers are just as much nuisance on the way to the pub.
    PPPS I forgot pheasants and ducks who appear to be desperate to take your head off causing you to find yourself off road on wet slippery grass.
    PPPPS and creepy owls who fly 20yards to one side of you at the same speed and then slowly turn there head and stare at you....wet slippery grass.
     Oh and the stars on cloudless nights.
    All of the latter could at least damage your derailleurs and my old number one bike had disc front and rim brake back I have replaced the rear wheel 5 times due to ware. Often when the rim collapsed. Marathon plus! I reckon last week was the first puncture in 2 years. Remember punctures are lost beer time!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:14:58 am by sd »

sd

« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2014, 08:00:04 am »
As a matter of interest, where does your gear selector point?  On my newly acquired Raven the pointer (or beak!) points in between the numbered gear selected, meaning I am not (yet) aware of which gear I have selected.

Or is this something that can easily be remedied by adjusting the twist-grip?

Ads
Simple live with it and don't look at the gear changer, look at the road ahead or you will miss your turning for the pub.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:14:23 am by sd »

sd

« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2014, 08:54:43 am »
You should not need to BUY the service manual. It's available for download on the Rohloff website (in English) for free, along with the owner's manual and the mounting (installation) manual. I had to download all as I bought the hub from Germany..... with German manuals  :-[

Not sure about that, cost of printing your own can be more and I find using a tablet a nuisance.

jags

« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2014, 11:27:13 am »
SD that's a hell of a busy route you take to the pub but an interesting one for sure.
you must live in the sticks  as you paint a class picture or rural life.
good luck with your hunt for the perfect bike for your needs rohloff are good but so too is shimano  and every bit as silent and efficient. ;)

jags.

sd

« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2014, 12:19:02 pm »
author=jags link=topic=675.msg59935#msg59935 date=1396693633]
SD that's a hell of a busy route you take to the pub but an interesting one for sure.
you must live in the sticks  as you paint a class picture or rural life.
good luck with your hunt for the perfect bike for your needs rohloff are good but so too is shimano  and every bit as silent and efficient. ;)

jags.
Not all the pub routes are that busy. And we do have one scheduled bus a week so sticks is fairly accurate. I have a Charge Mixer bicycle with Alfine 11 but don't like it. No, Rohloff is a must and disc brakes oh and S & S. No down side so that is also a must. I would buy second hand no problems but I don't think I will get a Thorn Rohloff tourer with disc front and rear brakes second hand?
 PS 57 and some big hills (not massive) and have septic arthritis so best not to stand up. So those extra gears a big benefit. Live on the Lincolnshire Wolds so rolling hills most of the time.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 12:28:28 pm by sd »

in4

« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2014, 12:31:29 pm »
there is a mercury on the sjs site at a reduced price. It has disc brakes. Might suit if you are cashed up and the size is right.

sd

« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2014, 12:49:12 pm »
there is a mercury on the sjs site at a reduced price. It has disc brakes. Might suit if you are cashed up and the size is right.

Thorn Mercury 580L Team White with Carbon Disc Road Fork - EX DISPLAY
Touch expensive!! It is a tourer? Is the Nomad a tourer? Would prefer 26". The lady I spoke said there was no choice I would have to have front suspension if want disc. Although I don't know why I am bothered as hit a pothole once and fley over handle bars almost head butting the back of a lorry. Expect front suspension would have helped.

in4

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2014, 01:37:42 pm »
Mercury = very beautiful but you don't get that kind of beauty cheap, besides its not 26in.
If you refer to the Nomad brochure I believe there is a technical explanation as to why you would need  sus' forks to use a front disc provided. There was a s/h Nomad for sale here a while ago that had a rear disc but all the others have had rim brakes.

What size are you looking for? The forum community here are very helpful and would bring any that might be of interest to your attention.

PS I'd countenance against head-butting a lorry :)

sd

« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2014, 03:55:12 pm »
Mercury = very beautiful but you don't get that kind of beauty cheap, besides its not 26in.
If you refer to the Nomad brochure I believe there is a technical explanation as to why you would need  sus' forks to use a front disc provided. There was a s/h Nomad for sale here a while ago that had a rear disc but all the others have had rim brakes.

What size are you looking for? The forum community here are very helpful and would bring any that might be of interest to your attention.

PS I'd countenance against head-butting a lorry :)

Yeah I think I will go with  suspension. I was just going through  a puddle and there was very deep pothole which threw me over the handle bars. I always assumed that it wouldn't have been as bad with suspension. Not going to find a pothole to test my theory. I am 5' 9.5”. 31" inside leg.