Author Topic: Rohloff - What's YOUR Opinion ?  (Read 183327 times)

Pavel

Re: Rohloff - What's YOUR Opinion ?
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2012, 05:03:21 pm »
This is a very interesting (and long running) thread.

If I were to read it as a person with no experience I think I'd be perfectly on the fence! :'(  I guess that there really is no substitute for personal experience just as it would also seem that one style of underwear does not fit all.  That last part is a true shame because it is only bike shopping that I enjoy for hours at a stretch.   ;D

I had (Until last week) a derailleur bike as well as my Moulton TSR14.  That is what the dealer called it after we put the rohloff on the bike that started life as a well designed TSR 27.  The wisdom of this surgery, time will tell, but I have scratched my Rohloff itch in fine style I think. I was not particularly a fan of the Rohloff at the beginning at all.  I've just ordered a Thorn Nomad, rather than a more reasonably affordable Sherpa, and I don't really need the luggage rating. I think that illustrates my feelings on the Rohloff - BEST underwear EVER!  8)

As I mentioned I did not care for the Rohloff very much before ordering it.  My journey to that decision rested on the fact that while I am a highly experienced, but out of shape cyclist (who took a twenty year break due to a wife who went cycling with me ONCE - up to the first part of the FIRST hill only) my girlfriend is scared of cycling.  Very scared and intimidated. She is eager to go but only on the terms that she is comfortable on.  That would be a walmart bike with NO gears and NO complicated brake levers.  Step through only and one stops (I think they could) by pedaling backwards.

Yikes!

So I plotted.

I bought the moulton because it seems to be a finely crafted bicycle just as is the Nomad, though for a completely different type of riding.  It IS a marvelous bike btw.  It is step through so I got a grudging ok on that point. I brow beat the poor lady with graphic possibilities until she relented on the brakes.  Actually it was in explaining that she only had to use one that did the trick.  Next came the explanation of how to change gears.  Now she was not going to bother coming with me. Would I still get sandwiches made, laundry laundered and shorts picked out?  I was worried.
I could see that changing gears with a derailleur was a step too far for her.  I'd sooner get her to skydive.  That is when I went to Mr Rohloff.  It is straight forward.  Turn a thingamadoodad which is right under your natural hand position. One way for hills going up - the other for going down.  End of complicated explanation!  It WORKED!!!!!!  Now there is a Rohloff advantage I'd not head of.  Bring us you timid, your weak - your freaked out.  Yeah.  Don't laugh.  This was serious ... without it I could not have called up SJS cycles and spoke those wonderful words - I'll take "that one"!  Do you see how much that hub has done for me? 8)

My own progression towards the light has consisted of little things.  The grass paths I used to like cycling on years ago took my deraileur off once and bent them on a regular basis.  My Moulton is not made for the same ventures but when my Nomad arrives - It is a small thing perhaps to have peace of mind - but significant just the same.  My top gears are utterly silent and the whir of the lower gears is kind of comforting as well.  I think of it like the exhaust grumble of a fine muscle-car.  ;D
I never would have guessed that it is nice not to have to change down two or three gears before you stop.  I was so used to doing that all these years but yet it is nice to have the freedom to just turn that dial anytime you want.  Yeah!  I don't know how long lived this setup will be.  It certainly is a kludge on the moulton.  It works well but I'd hate to have to fiddle around on a long tour with no eccentric bottom bracket.  You see the thorn bikes are at one extreme end of the bicycling spectrum.  Although there are drivetrain choices, every Thorn appears to have the same engineering mandate - to be as strong and maintenance happy as is possible.  Right?  Well if that is the case - does the Rohloff, despite some small issues, no complete the Thorn gestalt? I believe it does.

The Rohloff, to my way of thinking, completes the Thorn ethos, and like the last piece of a marvelous puzzle - Needs to be fitted in. After all, what is a Thorn if not the ultimate?

Now if the above is overly dramatic ... remember .... it was penned by one suffering through the "waiting for my Thorn" fever.  You've all been there ... haven't cha?

:P :P

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2012, 06:19:37 pm »
Oh, the unrealized wonders of a Rohloff!  :D Thanks, Pavel!

You soliloquized...
...the moulton.  It works well but I'd hate to have to fiddle around on a long tour with no eccentric bottom bracket...
One solution is available here: http://philwood.com/products/bbpages/philcentric.php.  It works well though you would likely need half-links to aid in taking up wear. It is not too unlike the mini-eccentric used on the Mercury, but executed differently.

As for riding with your girlfriend...there is another possibility that should make Robin happy: A Thorn tandem! My own tandem was purchased with the idea of making the companionship and adventure of cycling available and attractive to (hopefully female) riders who might not go otherwise. I have had mixed success in that regard, but the benefits are undeniable -- conversation is easy, a tandem is a great equalizer for riders of unequal power output and ability, there is no gear-shifting or braking necessary for the stoker, and you arrive at the top and bottom of hills together. Add in the magical social qualities of a Rohloff hub, and there ya go!

Best,

Dan.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:24:46 pm by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2012, 01:46:50 am »
I was out riding a couple days ago and contemplating the Rohloff. The more I ride with it, the more I enjoy it. I can shift smoothly with just the slightest let-up over maybe a quarter of a crank rotation. And I can shift even four or five steps in that short time. (More than that is more than my wrist can handle & so requires two shifts). I never have to think about shifting front vs rear or what. When I am fresh, that's a fun puzzle, but when deliriously tired I had been finding myself in all kinds of weird crossed over and dead-end ring-sprocket combinations. When starting on a steep slope I shift to 4 and then pump a few hard strokes to get a bit of momentum, then quick shift down to 1 to get the cadence back up and continue steady up the hill. So it's not just the fun of shifting at a dead stop, but also shifting several steps when going really slow.

No regrets here!

Reuel

« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2012, 05:54:13 am »
The comments I posted on page 4 were after about 7 months of regular usage. My opinion back then was that, it's heavy with some drag and therefore good for utility rides but not for longer century rides.

After a further 2½ years of use I am now totally reliant on my Rohloff equipped Surly Cross Check. I also can't drive! It probably has become smoother in operation with use but also I've reassembled it with a Mavic Open Pro rim and Marathon Supreme tyre. With these “light weight” components the bike feels more agile, responsive etc. etc. The only problem I have now “living with a Rohloff hub” is that leaving the bike locked up in public places causes quite a bit of nervousness. Consequently I still keep a derailleur bike with entry level Shimano components for locking up on the footpath and going for a haircut or cinema... that sort of thing.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2012, 06:07:13 am »
Reuel,

Thanks very much for the followup! It is really helpful to those of us who have never ridden a Rohloff to see how they "age" and also how you addressed its shortcomings to make it right for you and your needs.

Wishing you the best, with continued good use of your Rohloff-equipped bike,

Dan.

Recumbentrohloff

« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2012, 11:35:43 am »
My Rohloff (on a Grasshopper recumbent) is now about three years old and has done about 11,000 miles. It's just about "run-in" now and has more than justified the expense. Obviously on a recumbent (which starts out heavier than a DF road bike anyway) the % weight increase is less noticeable but the ability to change gears whilst stopped is a huge advantage. My previous experience with dérailleur equipped bikes was one of continual maintenance and adjustment but ,with Mr Rohloff's hub, all I do is an annual oil change! My next machine will be a Quest velomobile-- according to all the reviews a wonderful piece of applied technology- but unfortunately NOT a candidate for a Rohloff because of the single sided rear wheel mounting. It looks as if I'll have to get used to tinkering with dérailleurs again!

energyman

« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2012, 11:45:04 pm »
Best thing since sliced bread.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:13:50 pm by energyman »

il padrone

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2012, 10:45:29 am »
Pitlocks are against forum rules?? How come my post disappeared? ???

wheezy

« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2012, 04:55:03 pm »
Pitlocks are against forum rules?? How come my post disappeared? ???

:o He said it again!!! Mods! Over here!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2012, 06:31:18 pm »
I do recall seeing it, but the Forum was down very briefly a couple times yesterday, so it may have been lost in the hiccup. My posts at that time didn't seem to appear till I refreshed my browser a couple times and one never did make it. I checked "Down for Everyone or Just Me" and thorncycles.co.uk was down for all at those times.

I don't think your post was pulled, Pete (it was a little off-topic for this heading, but Pitlock discussion isn't against the Forum rules).

All the best,

Dan.

sg37409

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2012, 10:17:44 pm »
all i said was that piece of fish was good enough for Jehova.
</monty python>

Andre Jute

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2012, 10:50:12 pm »
It's the Morlocks who keep the Internet working. Occasionally they get hungry and gobble up a post or two.

wheezy

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2012, 04:12:47 pm »
all i said was that piece of fish was good enough for Jehova.
</monty python>

You're only making it worse for yourself.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2013, 09:43:52 pm »
Moving away from fish ... a recent 6200km tour has made me mostly forget about transmission/gears/derailleur/problems. The Rohloff just works. The only comments I have is that a few times (5 or 6) in gear 4 it would drop into a lower gear for a second or so before engaging the true 4th gear.

An ease off of pressure between 7 and 8 is also required but seemed to have become less necessary as the tour went on (or I got into the habit!).

The cables remained in a good state and the gear changing remained consistent both in feel and in performance and without problem.

On a long tour there are other things to enjoy. You don't need technical problems. In my experience the Rohloff hub removes any transmission problems. Fit and forget.

Now I have changed the oil again after the tour and it is even sweeter. Love it!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:49:26 pm by StuntPilot »

ads677

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2013, 09:57:33 am »
As a matter of interest, where does your gear selector point?  On my newly acquired Raven the pointer (or beak!) points in between the numbered gear selected, meaning I am not (yet) aware of which gear I have selected.

Or is this something that can easily be remedied by adjusting the twist-grip?

Ads