Author Topic: My New Raven Tour  (Read 34733 times)

julk

Re: My New Raven Tour
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2006, 07:11:25 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by goosander

Would outboard bar ends work with a comfort bar?  

Surely the swept back bars would leave the bar ends angled outwards which I can't imagine being good for either comfort or grip, not to mention looking a bit odd.

goosander,
Comfort - I would expect to only use the bar ends for a change of position on longer rides, as I have previously on my non Thorn 5° swept back handlebar bikes. I would plan to use bar ends with some curve on them to allow for finding the most comfortable forward position.

Grip - this will depend on the finish and shape of the bar end, I like the longer ones with a milled finish.

I think stubbies would score badly on both of these points.

Looking odd - I checked the bar ends in my garage to see if the 18° sweep bars might leave the bar ends pointing outwards at the front end.  All the bar ends have an inward angle from the clamp, some more extreme than others. I reckon that most of my bar ends, fitted on comfort bars, would end up roughly parallel to the centreline of the bike with the tips curving further in, especially on the longer models. I don't think this would look too odd.
I may try fitting a temporary one on the left side as an experiment to see how it looks.
Hopefully I will get to fit a full set at some point in the future.
Julk.

Swislon

« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2006, 07:27:52 pm »
Thanks for the photos goosander. The bikes looking good. They look a neater solution than the Cane Creeks but I guess I wouldn't know about comfort until I've tried them. I'm going to cut a bit off the handlebars first & see if that makes a difference.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2006, 12:28:11 am »
OT
quote:
Originally posted by PH
Nope, having pranged as many rims as I've worn out I was reluctant to spend that sort of money.  I've got the original CR18 on the front and a replacment Mavic 7?? on the back.

I know what you mean, I am still undecided by ceramic rim - even after 12 months.  Anyway I find, just like you, that there are no problems with Kool stop salmon on normal rims however on ceramic careful setup is important - they work really well though, better than anything else I have tried.