Author Topic: My New Raven Tour  (Read 34732 times)

freddered

My New Raven Tour
« on: February 05, 2006, 12:57:30 am »
Today I handed over £1345.99 to Adrian at SJSC for my new Thorn Raven Tour.  I am expecting delivery in 2-3 weeks and I thought I'd record the ownership process from the start in case anyone else was considering buying one.

I've owned a British Eagle Touristique (700c, Reynolds 531ST Tourer) for about 19 years.  I've added various bits over the years but it's basically simliar to a Dawes Galaxy (Drop Bars and STI levers). Until the advent of the Rohloff Ravens I was set on buying an XTC but, with 100 day money-back 'guarantee', it seems crazy not to try the Raven.

Internet browsing revealed many glowing reports about the Rohloff/Ravens with many "I'd never go back to Derailleur" comments. So I set off to Bridgewater with a wad of £20 notes.

Arrived at 08:45 on Saturday and was met by Adrian D.  He guided me and my Touristique (brought for measurement purposes) through the Labrynth of passageways to the Showroom.  SJSC premises uses some form of TARDIS technology I assume.  

Note.  I just realised that people from outside the UK may not know about TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space)technology.  Put briefly this is a fairly old technology that allows you to squeeze a large internal space/room inside a much smaller external space.  It's been available in the UK since the 1960's (but only in Black and White). Try to think of a Telephone Kiosk on the outside and a Burger-King restaurant on the inside or, even better, George W Bush's small head on the outside and a vast, empty space on the inside.

I think once you choose to enter the showroom you will always leave with a much reduced bank balance, the bikes on show REALLY are as nice as you imagined.  I had to restrain myself to buying just the one.

We measured my existing setup and sat on some showroom bikes to establish what size raven Frame was a good fit.  We spent time changing Handlebar stems to establish reach and so on until I felt comfortable.

My first decision (and there are many, nice ones of course)was between the Tour and the Sport Tour.  The main difference, it appears to me, is that the Tour has the potential to become a real Mule if required.  Right now I don't need a bike capable of lugging a ton of luggage along unmetalled roads to Mongolia but the Raven Tour could be easily upgraded (Mainly Tyres and a steel Rack) to do so.  The Sport Tour being slightly tighter geometry can not accomodate the same amount of Luggage (Pannier/Heel clearance) or 'extreme' Touring tyres (such as 2" Schwalbes).  Therefore I chose the Raven Tour, albeit in a fairly lightweight, option package.  I think it's fairly 'Future Proof'.

The next decision was between Drops and Flat bars.  I really really wanted to stick with drop bars, I almost never go down to the drops but I like riding stretched out on the hoods and find the hoods the best grip for out-of-the-saddle climbing.  However, the Rohloff shifter position for drops is always a poor compromise if you are used to STI levers.  Maybe for those used to Bar-end or downtube shifters the accessory bar option may be even better than your existing set-up.
I have selected the standard swept 'Comfort Bar' with stubby Carbon Bar-Ends mounted 'inboard' to try and replicate my Brake Hoods and stubby Cane Creek Bar-Ends mounted 'Outboard' for climbing.  They seemed like a good option during my 'fitting' but the proof of the pudding will be after days in the saddle.

The benefits of this Bar set-up are clear, you get convenient 'Grip Shift' gear changing and full V-Brake power at your fingertips.  Remember, it's fairly easy to swap in a pair of Drops if that is the only issue.

I won't go into Frame sizes, gearing..etc as that is only relevant to me.  I did however make a note of the Gear Ratios I use most and selected a chainring/sprocket set-up to match.

The most difficult decision of course was the colour (how pathetic, I know).  I went thinking Blue and eventually went for Green.

I then went for a spin on a demo Sport Tour (just to check the Rohloff wasn't a big mistake).  Obviously a ride round a flat park in freezing weather wasn't a full test but it convinced me to proceed.  The hub whirrs exactly like a wind-up toy in 7th and I could feel it doing its stuff though my feet, it was however silent in 8th - 14th and had some faint noise (I mean really faint) in some gears below 7th.  HOWEVER !!! Only 7th gear came close to the sound of the chain rubbing against my current front Derailleur mech when I've been caught out by a hill and not had time to perform a front & back change.  I can't see anyone ever being caught out with a Rohloff in this way.

So that's it so far.  The 'fitting' session was great and I never felt pushed to buy, all the options were explained and/or demonstrated on showroom stock, I got to ride a similar bike to the one I wanted and I get to send it back if I don't lke it after nearly 3 months trial.  I don't see how it can go wrong really.

Over the next 19 years I am really hoping to love the bike (when I get used to the hub and flat bars) but if it doesn't end up offering much more than my current 19 year old bike then there is no point in keeping it and I won't.  I would probably end up with an XTC in this case.  

Watch this space for updates, opinions, photos and so on.

Fred
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 01:53:43 pm by freddered »

PH

Re: My New Raven Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 04:41:55 pm »
Sounds good Fred, that's going to seem a long 2/3 weeks. What are the £250 worth of upgrades?
I bought mine over the phone, if I'd gone to Bridgewater I think I'd still be paying for it.

freddered

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 05:47:11 pm »
Carbon Bar-Ends
Cane Creek Bar-Ends
Shimano Deore Brake Upgrade
Pedals (an upgrade from not having any)
Zefal Pump
Accessory Bar for Cycle Computer/GPS
Blackburn Rack
2x Bottle Cages
Black Anodised Rohloff finish.
Delivery Charge

I know from experience of my MTB that I can't do without Bar-Ends for any long rides, just too uncomfortable, so they were my only real luxury.  The Black finish on the hub just seemed like a sensible long-term investment. The Deore Brake Upgrade was recommended on some Review and the rest is stuff I can't do without.  It all adds up I guess but there's no point in going this far and then skimping (If there was a Ha'peth of Tar Upgrade then I would have gone for that also).

PH

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 06:52:17 pm »
They all look like sensible options to me.  Have you used the Crane creek bar ends before?  I like the look of them, but haven’t come across anyone that's used them.

freddered

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 09:15:24 pm »
No, I haven't used Cane Creek bar-ends before.  SJSC have a pair fitted to a loose pair of handlebars so you can feel what they are like when fitted but, without running around the showroom and pretending I was riding a bike , that's as near as I got.
I know my normal MTB Bar-Ends are great for climbing (even to the point of wheelying on extreme gradients) but the are useless for standing up in the pedals and climbing.  They put your weight in-front of the handlebars and it feels very unstable.  The Cane Creeks put your weight right at the end of the bars but with something to grab hold of.  They felt right in the shop and I've read lots of good things about them for this very purpose.  Will know for sure in a few weeks.
Will post updates on them here after I take delivery.

The next 3 weeks is going to really drag..I can feel it.

remis3velisque

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 03:45:23 pm »
Hello!
I sympathise with your bank balance and impatience, because I am awaiting postal deliveray of my mail ordered bike!
Peter

freddered

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 08:08:30 pm »
Another good thing about the 'fitting' session was the availability of a selection of rims/tyre combinations.  I'm sure you've all read about Sun Rhynos and Schwalbe Marathons being the heavyweight combination for extreme tourists, well you get the chance to hold that option and compare it to a lighter Mavic/Panaracer combo for example.  Gives you a chance to appreciate the difference and, in my case, go for a lighter option.  I'm sure a World Tourist would be just as excited by the heavyweight stuff though. I can't imagine breaking a Rhyno/Schwalbe wheel after holding one.

freddered

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 08:46:24 pm »
Question (from email) and a reply:
==> QUESTION
I've just read your post on buying a Thorn Raven, it was very helpful thanks.
>
> I'm also considering buying a Raven but can't decide between the Tour & Sport Tour models, so was interested in your approach of going for a Tour without the heavy weight options.
>
> I had a quick spin on a Sport Tour before Christmas and found it to be pretty lively with surprisingly fast steering, but was unable to try the Tour because they didn't have a suitable test bike available.  Unfortunately SJS are at the other end of the country from me so I can't easily pop back.
>
> If you can spare the time, I'd be very grateful if you could answer the following questions to help me with my decision.
>
> Did you get to ride a Tour as well as Sport Tour?  How well do they compare?
>
> What wheels & tyres did you go for?
>
> Did you follow the SJS recommendation of having 'considerable standover clearance' on the frame?  They suggested that the bike I rode (561L size) was about right for me (I'm 6' tall with average proportions) but it did seem like there was rather too much seat post showing.
>
> Like you I don't intend carrying much weight, so the Sport Tour would probably suit me fine, but the Tour sounds much more versatile which is important at that price - can't justify two!
>
> On the other hand I don't want to spend all that money and end up with a heavy bike that is OK but nothing special to ride.

==> REPLY
I didn't ride a Tour, just the Sport Tour.  
I'm used to a fairly Long Lazy 700c Tourer and I don't need super quick handling although I wouldn't be bothered if I got it.

I went for Sun CR18 and Panaracer Hi Road 1.5" to keep things rolling quickly.  (I use Hi Roads on my MTB and they transformed it).
The Cycling Reviews on the Thorn Pages are done on the Tour rather than the Sport Tour I think and they all say it's fairly nippy.

I hear that there is only a Pound or two difference in weight between similarly equipped models.  It's cheaper to lay off the Beer for a week or two if you are bothered by that.

I got a 537L (5'10")  Standover is fine, more than my 700c and less than my MTB.  Seemed fine.

The only reason I didn't get the Sport Tour (the extra 200 quid isn't really an issue on a potential bike for life) was the issue about carrying 'full-size' panniers.  We tried some big Carradice Paniers on it and my heels caught on them (Size 9 feet).  If it could carry big luggage I would have got one (as 1.75" tyres would have been plenty).

Since I don't carry big luggage right now it may seem like a crazy option but check out the Brochure for the EXP (not Raven), go to the very end and tell me you don't secretly like the look of the fully-loaded bike.  I want that option available to me. Huge tyres, if I really want them, are also an option.

Anyway, ask them if you can return the Tour for a Sport Tour if you don't like it (& Vice Versa).  They seem pretty good about that sort of thing.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 08:50:34 pm by freddered »

goosander

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 11:48:08 am »
I talked to SJS yesterday and they have convinced me that a Sport Tour is likely to be able to cope with all of my needs, though I need to consider the pannier clearance issue you mention as I have size 11 feet.

They also say it would be OK to swap a Tour for a Sport Tour if I don't get on with it, so it looks like the Tour is a no risk option and is usefully cheaper as the Sport Tour stretches my budget somewhat.

Decisions...

Yes the fully loaded EXP looks good, sexy even but I'm quite happy to look at someone elses as I really don't fancy hauling that type of weight around.

davefife

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 08:27:48 pm »
Me as well! money handed over, hours on the phone, I'm a long way from sjsc! my Raven Sport Tour is due to arrive next Friday, took me 5 months of research before deciding this is for me, the 100 days is a comfort, but i cant see me really taking them up on it, the red frame and black rohloff and Schmidt SON in black will still be captivating me this time next year.

Lets keep each other posted on our impressions/experiences? if i spend any time on a pc after the 24th.

pitbull

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 09:44:03 pm »
If I may add to your thread, freddered, I'd like to add my impression of buying a Thorn Raven. I went down to SJS Cycles last Saturday to try one out and discuss the options.

SJS Cycles is an odd place to visit. It occupies what looks to be two terraced houses, with a reception / small showroom containing a few bikes at the front. Not very impressive you might think.

When you ask about the Ravens, a chap comes through from the back and leads you through to the main showroom. To get there you go through what looks to be a dispatch area, then a bike building area, then a large warehouse stuffed to the ceiling with all sorts of weird and wonderful bike components, then out of the back and into another building, up a ramp, through another bike building area, into the Thorn showroom which had about 20 solos and tandems on display. This was all a little odd. TARDIS technology indeed. In fact the whole day was a bit surreal.

They have a small amount of bikes there to try out. From previous discussions with them, I knew that the Thorn Raven Tour would be the most suitable for me, mainly due to the lack of heel clearance with panniers on the Sport Tour. I had a go on the Raven Tour that they had available - there aren't any hills around the shop, but there is a small park behind the houses across the street and there are plenty of suburban roads to cycle around.

I spent about 20 minutes pootling about, trying out the Rohloff hub and various gear changes with it. As I wrote in the other thread, the Rohloff is a bit odd - especially the noise and feedback through the pedals. In some of the gears it feels a bit 'ratchety' or 'clicky', especially 5th and 7th. On the other hand, the gear changes are clean and easy (only one changer to think about), and I'm attracted by the ease of cleaning and maintenance of the hub over derailleur gears. Whilst 20 minutes on a bike that isn't specifically set up for you isn't really enough to decide on whether a bike is perfect, I was impressed enough with the hub and the handling / ride of the bike to commit to giving it a go. With the 100 day satisfaction guarantee, there isn't much that can go wrong really.

Once I'd decided that the Raven Tour was the bike for me (at least to trial for 100 days), there was then the small issue of deciding on all the options. This felt more like a chat about bike components in the pub than actually buying anything. There was absolutely no sales pressure, and Dan, the sales guy, seemed like the most unlikely salesman I've ever met. Having said that, he succeeded in getting me to part with just over 1600 quid. We worked our way through the options, some of which are on the standard form, and some of which were a bit more unusual.

For those interested, I ended up going for a green frame (I liked the understated look of this), ceramic rims, Panaracer Pasela TG tyres, a Schmidt hub (which I'm going to buy a Solidlights 1203D for), Thorn comfort bars with inboard bar-ends and Ergon grips, Terry Fly saddle, Blackburn rack, Pitlock skewers (as so much of the price is in the wheels / hubs, I'm trying to keep them attached to the bike for as long as possible), and various other bits and pieces.

As I said above, it was all a bit surreal, partly due to the odd shop layout, partly because of the lack of conventional salesmanship, and partly as it's the first time I've bought a bike and not left with it on the day. The down side is that they said it would take a couple of weeks to build it up and deliver it. But I got a phone call yesterday to say that it's being delivered on Monday.

I'll let you all know how it goes when it arrives.

Cheers.

remis3velisque

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 02:04:13 pm »
My eight-day-old Raven sport-tour, with top of the range drive & brake sets and all the anti-theft devices I could think of, is tremendous : very quick, comfortable, secure, light to carry. Everything works well in heavy rain, but I haven't yet had the opportunity to try it on snow or ice. Even the Brooks B17 saddle (which I think is one of their most humble models) is becoming bearable! I now happily take longer commuting routes, merely for the pleasure.

freddered

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 02:43:35 pm »
It arrived !!

1) It looks lovely.  Dark Green, very understated.  

2) It's lighter than I imagined, a bit heavier at the back than 'normal' maybe but nothing noticeable.  I really don't understand the quest to save a pound or two on a bike of this type.

3) It handles like a dream.  Maybe it's the flat bars (I am used to drops), the 1.5" tyres (I am used to 700x28), the twin-plate forks (they look the business) or the whole combination but I was cornering much faster and diving into them a lot more. Very reassuring ride.

4) Gears 8 and above are silent, combined with the lack of chain-slap over pot-holes and the 'fat' tyres means it's like a magic carpet ride.  I can see why people cross continents on them.  It's all very relaxing compared to my 700c Tourer (which I always thought was a relaxed ride).  Freewheeling is VERY noisy, I hope this will get quieter as the ratchet/pawl wears in, it's much more irritating than any noise generated by pedalling the hub.

5) Gear 7 is noisy, no secret there.  I can also feel it vibrating/whirring through my SPDs.  No way can this amount of noise and vibration be efficient, I think I may just avoid 7th (there are many gears I don't use on my derailleur of course).  1st Gear is 18" !!!  Even my old MTB doesn't go this low.  I dread arriving at the hill that forces me into 1st.  (My 1st on Tourer is 27". That's 4th gear on the Thorn !!! I've never had to get off and push but it's been very close and I've zig-zagged up a few hills before now). I tried 1st gear on the flat and it's sub-walking pace, more of a balancing act.  Maybe when I'm loaded up with camping gear it will come into it's own. It's fair to say it has low gears.  14th gear is 95" which I think will top out fairly easily downhill.  This doesn't bother me too much.  If it does then I'll get a bigger chainring and trade 1st gear for a higher top end.  Going up steep hills hurts more than going down them so we'll see.

6) I did 14 miles and my legs are aching a lot more than they should, I suspect the saddle position/height and bar position is wrong for me.  I'll spend next few days getting that set right.  I rode it straight out of the box virtually, too excited to set it up.

7) V-Brakes actually stop me unlike the things on my tourer.  I used to think ahead like the Captain of an Oil-Tanker.

8) Twist-Grip is not my favourite method of shifting but this is a good example of it.  Nice Grip and very light action.  I had a tendency to shift 2 gears at a time but this is my first hour on the bike (remember there are 14 gears availabe in half a turn of your wrist).  You should always try to remember how forgiving you are of derailleur.  If it was the other way around (Derailleur replacing Rohloff) and you were told that the order of your gears was 2 clicks up on the right and 1 click down on the left (ease off a bit while it engages and be prepared for the chain to fall off and get wedged behind the crank every so often, plus the rattle of chain against cage in some gears and DON'T use the 'forbidden' combinations) you would think it was a bad joke.

I'll know for sure this time next week as I will fit my computer, set bike up correctly and go out round a known circuit.

Verdict so far - Quality Item, quality feel. Relaxed continent crosser ?  No doubt about it.

goosander

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 09:03:05 pm »
Hi Freddered,

I'm glad that your Raven has arrived and that it is living up to expectations.  Let us know how you find it once you have got it properly setup.

PH

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 03:17:23 am »
quote:
Originally posted by freddered

I'll know for sure this time next week as I will fit my computer, set bike up correctly and go out round a known circuit.

Sounds good so far, we want the photos[;)]

It took me a while to get the best out of the gearing, it does require you to think different, or maybe not to think so much.  Changing down well before junctions and getting into the right gear at the bottom of a long hill are ingrained. No longer having to think ahead and always being in the right gear more than compensates for that slight loss of efficiency in the lower range (if it exists).  Just watch out when you ride a Derailleur after you’ve become used to the Rohloff, I frequently get caught out.
When I first got mine it was slightly slower over my 14 mile commute, not drastically, but regularly an extra 5 minuets.  After a month I'd gained that back and have got faster since.