Author Topic: Thinking outside the carbon fibre box  (Read 3199 times)

triaesthete

Thinking outside the carbon fibre box
« on: June 11, 2013, 08:56:05 pm »

How about this for a technically intriguing bicycle: Steel frame, v brakes, 9 speed, suspension seatpost, long stays, rack mounts, mtb spd pedals, fat tyre clearances....

So far it could be a Thorn, but it is also "the bike that took him to the two competition records in the 12- and 24-hour events and to the second-fastest recorded 50 time"!!!

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/538831/andy-wilkinson-s-dolan-time-trial-bike.html

Ian

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Thinking outside the carbon fibre box
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:15:10 pm »
My, what a superb example of "out of box" thinking, Ian!

To have such versatility in a single bicycle is truly remarkable, and to use MTB components to construct such a successful time trial bike is inspired genius -- I really, really admire what he has done.

<nods> I could see a similar bike made from, say, a Raven Sport Tour substituting the Rohoff hub for the triple 'rings and derailleur/block of this bike. One would have to use 26in wheels for the MTB pursuits instead of 29in, but the brakes should reach fine for 650B rims and perhaps even with 650C or 650A pursuit rims and tires.

Oh, the possibilities!

Thorn bikes already hold a number of records, including the Club Tour, which holds a Guinness record for cycling the Pan-American Highway: http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornClubTourBroHiRes.pdf

Best,

Dan.

Cambirder

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:35:01 pm »
Not quite out of the CF box, in TT mode at least he has CF wheels, forks, seat post, bars and even jockey wheel holder.

triaesthete

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 12:17:05 am »
Hi Dan
I was just amazed by the attention to functional detail and the fact that all of the difference comes from re-purposed bicycle technology. There are no million dollar, one off parts just lateral thinking around practical application. Beautiful in a similar way to constructeur bikes or garagiste racing cars.

I also enjoy the fact that it has such an anti fashion aura but has been proven to work. Not to mention the beausage.

By the way, can you spot the non functional "joke" component?

Happy days
Ian

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 02:06:24 am »
By the way, can you spot the non functional "joke" component?
Oh, boy -- easter eggs! Nothing's better than easter eggs in computer software or in photos!!!

Hmm. There's so many interesting details on this bike, it could be one of a number of things.

Well, that granny ring is out-of-phase (usually the little tab would go behind the crankarm), it carries a red stripe on the front and a red "V" behind, and the teeth look unused. I think that's likely "it", 'cos the rear derailleur lacks the necessary chain wrap-up over that large a chainring range *and* the Campag front mech cage isn't deep enough to accommodate the chain even in the small 'ring/large cog combo, by the looks of it.

My vote goes to the smallest front granny ring as the non-functional "joke" component.

There might be a second one, as well...

The suspension seatpost may be locked-out or nonexistent. I'm not sure if that is a faux carbon wrap (jags did a terrific job with his), and carbon and sus-post don't go together, generally unless the carbon structure itself is used as a stressed member. See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52TKReWduX4
http://www.gizmag.com/cf3-pro-carbon-suspension-seatpost/24450/

Both the above could still be useful in MTB/commute mode, but seem a bit out of place for the other uses this bike is put to.

Did I get it right, Ian?

All the best (and thanks for the ee),

Dan.

triaesthete

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 08:14:48 am »

10 out of 10 Mr Dannneaux, plus a distinction for the seat post. Remain at the top of the class, but don't keep all your ees in one basket.

I think it would be "difficult" to make with cf a telescopic seat post with internal anti rotation element and sliding surfaces. I hadn't given this element much thought to be honest. I just love the idea that such a serious bike can have a joke part fitted at all.

Best wishes
Ian

brummie

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 09:30:16 pm »
Ah ! But maybe Mr Wilkinson changes his middle & or outer ring / adjusts /changes front mech for mtb / touring duties? After all, these rings can be removed without taking the crankset off unlike the granny.

Classy rider who I've been lucky enough to meet... I remember him riding the Dyfi Enduro in Wales ( with quite a challenging technical / rocky descents ) - he was riding a Cannondale Hybrid with 35mm ( I think ) touring tyres & a racktop bag. He flew round leaving many mtb'ers in his wake ! His comp records back in 1996 were also very impressive rides...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 09:58:51 pm »
Classy rider who I've been lucky enough to meet...
Honestly, Brummie, it must have been a bit of a thrill to find him a nice and classy fellow as well as accomplished. Kind of adds to the glow of his accomplishments and incredible innovation, which I greatly admire.
...maybe Mr Wilkinson changes his middle & or outer ring / adjusts /changes front mech for mtb / touring duties?
<nods> Maybe so! It would surely mesh with the multi-purpose nature of the bike. Hmm. I'm thinking aloud here...perhaps he could run the triple crank as a MTB Double (inner and middle) just as he now runs it as a Road Double (outer and middle). Middle 'ring could be common and the front mech raised or lowered as needed. I *think* it might be accomplished with adjustments only to der height and chain length.

I think you've got it, Brummie!

All the best,

Dan.

brummie

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 09:30:33 pm »
Just found a series of interviews on YouTube with Mr Wilkinson... he discusses his preferences & reason for his triple chainring set up here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij087JxD7ls

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 10:25:12 pm »
Brummie!

Well found! Well found, indeed!

Fascinating interview among an entire series.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Best,

Dan.

triaesthete

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 02:00:17 am »

Thanks for posting this brummie. I wasn't sure where this thread was going to go but this is a superbly interesting and educational tangent.

Cheers
Ian

brummie

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 11:51:35 am »
Thanks for posting this brummie. I wasn't sure where this thread was going to go but this is a superbly interesting and educational tangent.

Cheers
Ian

Yes, an interesting set of interviews ( I've not watched them all yet ! ) I think there is useful info for both mile-eating tourists & Audax riders. Interesting when Andy set the 24hr record in 1997 it was without any specific training for the event as he'd been gearing his training toward the 4000m individual pursuit !