Author Topic: I have a Sherpa; would an Audax better suit my needs?  (Read 12229 times)

jags

Re: I have a Sherpa; would an Audax better suit my needs?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 01:06:32 am »
Dan i don't think i would chance putting to much weight on the Raleigh,i was told by the guy who resprayed it for me a very good old school  frame builder now retired that the tubes are far to light for adding that extra weight ,mind you having said that i carry the carradice barley on it all the time never put the barbag on though.
if i though i could sell the sherpa frame and not have to spend to much for the audax then i would go for it.no big loss if it doesn't happen i still have too great bikes.

jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 01:09:28 am »
i was told by the guy who resprayed it for me...that the tubes are far to light for adding that extra weight
<nods> I understand. That would probably also rule out even a lightish trailer like the Extrawheel as well, then.

All the best,

Dan. (...who's trying to think of halfway measures to get you where you need to go)

Andybg

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 06:10:18 am »
Depending on how much you need to carry for light weight touring a Carradice super c saddle bag and bar bag on the raleigh might just pull it off. It may be worth looking at a set of heavier duty touring wheels and maybe a touring friendly set of sprockets.

Pertaining to valuaing the sherpa parts- about half new price seems to be the norm for good quality second hand.

Andy

rualexander

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 08:12:29 am »
My size 600 Mk3 has enough pannier/heel clearance for my size 12 feet, the chainstay length is 435mm. My size 610s Sherpa has 450mm chainstay length. So shouldn't be a problem.
The Thorn pdf brochures give the chainstay lengths for all frame sizes.

Philb

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 10:28:35 pm »
I thought I would post a comment to this topic but I did miss the start.
I own an Audax Mk3 a XTC (Love that!) and a Cannondale  Supersix. The Audax is a great allrounder. A good commuter would be Ok to light tour and a relaxed roadbike. What make it a good allround prevents it from excelling in  any one area. The supersix is a much better road bike and the XTC to my mind would be a better commuter/touring bike for my needs. I I could only have one the Audax would cover all bases.

My impression from the forum of the Sherpa is that it is designed for mainly touring and what makes it vert good at that perhapse detracts from other types of riding. I owned an EXP for a while, great bike but overkill unless you were loaded to the gills! The swap of mtb drivetrain to the Audax would be a good one, but you might want to get a larger crankset. XT 771 perhapse due to the 700c wheels.
Hope this helps

jags

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 10:40:53 pm »
Philb it does help thanks a million,would you believe i'm trying at this minute to seel to a guy on my facebook page  ;D.
i still havent put a price on the sherpa frameset or the wheels..
but if i get enough to buy the audax they yeah i will go ahead and buy it.
the sherpa is a fantastic bike but as you said overkill for the touring i do so a lighter faster bike that can still carry my gear will suit me fine. ;)

cheers
jags.

Philb

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 03:20:28 am »
The audax is a great bike and I'm very happy with mine. I have both forks and 4 sets of tyres ranging from 25mm two different 28mm compounds and 32mm Schwalbe supremes. I just change those for different riding.

Glad to help and happy shopping!

jags

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 09:26:59 am »
will have to sell on my sherpa to finance this,also i need to find out fromsjs what size frame i need they dont seem to have a 51 in audax.
well the sun is out here in ireland so i'm off out for the morning get the miles in i think i'll take the sherpa out just in case someone buys it from me over the weekend  ;)

leftpoole

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 10:31:19 am »
Hello,
I have owned a Sherpa, Club Tour, Audax 853 and Mk 3 Audax.
The opening question was would an Audax suit my needs better than a Sherpa?
My answer is NO!
A Sherpa is comfortable, can carry the type of loads the questioner carries, it rides with little effort and will go any distance.
The Audax rides more quickly and reasonably comfortably, but in my honest opinion will not do a Camping trip easily.
As an experienced rider particularly of Thorn bicycles, if the questioner wish a great compromise then a Club Tour would be the answer. The Club Tour can be ridden with 28mm tyres or 35mm tyres. It can carry heavy loads. It can be ridden speedily for fun days out or for Audax.
Opening poster, the Sherpa is in my opinion the better bike for you and your needs, that is unless you no longer cycle camp!
Best regards,
John

sg37409

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 10:39:18 am »
I would disagree with John. I'd say the audax is very capable of carrying a decent load while being a sharper ride. 

I think thorns are generally over-built. I feel they pride themselves on expedition/go anywhere characteristics and as a result end up being overbuilt for the majority of uses. I'd tend to the lighter end of the thorn range all the time.

jags

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 04:57:03 pm »
Thanks lads for the input. John is probably on the button with this one after all he has ridden all or most of the Thorn range,but if i remember right was the audax not your faourate ;).
john to be honest i'm a fair weather tourer i will neve do what most of the lads here do so the audax might just be for me.if i cant sell the sherpa its no big deal i still have a great touring bike .
but yeah i want that audax and in blue you will be mine. ;D

so can anyone tell me what money i should expect to get for either frame set or the entire bike.
i was thinking 1200 euro for bike
frameset i not sure anyone hazard a guess,bare in mind i need as much as i can get to finance new machine.

jags

(whos birthday it is tomorrow 60 years young  8))

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 05:09:29 pm »
(Early) Happy Birthday, jags! That Audax isn't Cobalt Blue, but "Jags Blue"...and maybe awaiting you in this, your own Happy New Year.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 05:50:56 pm »
i sure hope your right there Dan. i had an email from sjs i have to fill in the form on there webpage that should be fun (not) ::) dan i sent you a photo of the bike just now will you putit on bikes for sale thanks.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 06:09:25 pm »
Yes, jags, received it and happy to post, but you need to make up an ad to go with it. Email me that and I'll post the lot at once for you.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 06:19:09 pm »
just posted it for sale on bike for sale. ;)