Author Topic: RACKS - THORN vs TUBUS ANYONE?  (Read 10098 times)

Slammin Sammy

RACKS - THORN vs TUBUS ANYONE?
« on: May 23, 2013, 07:08:23 am »
Greetings Thornlanders!

Thorn Low Loader front and Expedition rear vs Tubus Duo front and Logo Evo rear. Comments?

I'm seeking your honest opinions. I personally like the Logo alot better than the Expedition (I think it's nicer looking, and I really like the double bar arrangement, as it allows mounting my dry bag lyiing flat on the rack. The Logo Evo has got the same cargo rating as the Expedition - 40kg.

I also lean toward the Duo, although the Thorn Low Loader isn't bad looking, and has somewhat greater cargo capacity (18kg vs 15kg).

My new Nomad frame came in yesterday (see separate post). The 6mm rack adaptors I ordered have been back-ordered to late July (!). I presume I can mount the Expedition using 5mm bolts, and the Logo Evo using 6mm bolts, but can someone confirm?

I'm excited!!!

Sam

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: RACKS - THORN vs TUBUS ANYONE?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:03:45 am »
Wonderful news, Sammy -- All congratulations your way on the Nomad frame's arrival! You must be over the moon with joy.

As for the racks...

I have tried and tested a number of rear tubular steel racks, including the Surly Nice Rack (Rear), two Tubus Cargo Evos, a Tubus Logo Evo (the Evo editions are the newest and have investment cast bottom mounts, where the bolt head fits into a well. The rack is stiffer as a result), and Thorn's Expedition rack.

In summary, I found the Thorn Expedition rack to be the most rigid laterally and against diagonal (yaw) pressure. It just does not sway under really heavy loads compared to the other racks. It is really tough, it is heat-treated, and the weight and tube-wall thickness of the front strut crossmember indicates it is made of thicker-walled tubing than the Tubus racks. Of course, it allows mounting with 6mm bolts to the Nomad's dual 5mm-to-single 6mm lower rack adapter mount, and the top stays are solid stainless steel and must be bent into position and then trimmed with a saw to fit. It is a really solid rack. It also has the greatest number of crossbars on the top deck, contributing to lateral rigidity as well as providing a generous number of lash points that also help prevent a load from herniating through the rack to press on the rear mudguard. Last, the Thorn rack has a greatly extended top deck to get the taillight out from behind your panniers so it is most visible form the side and rear, and it has a detachable, easily modified universal adapter plate to take a variety of LED or dyno taillights.

Overall weight is not too different, due to the design. In my tests, the Surly was the least rigid against yaw input (lateral diagonal loads imposed at the rear corners), due to the very thin mounts. The Tubii were in-between. I found all these rear racks to be equally rigid under vertical loads. All handled reasonable loads very well and did not cause or contribute to handling problems in practice, but displayed difference in my test environments. The differences were virtually indiscernible at reasonable touring loads and became more apparent when supporting very heavy loads.

A quick Forum search should pull up most posts related to Tubus racks, the Surly Nice Racks (Front and Rear), and Thorn's Expedition and Low-Loader Mark V racks.

I presume I can mount the Expedition using 5mm bolts, and the Logo Evo using 6mm bolts, but can someone confirm?
Yes: You can indeed use either 5mm or 6mm bolts on the Thorn Expedition rack or the Tubus Evo-series Cargo and Logo racks, but they are all much more rigid if you use 6mm, and the effective cargo rating is increased as well. The Nomad has 6mm frame/fork bosses and the rear adapter uses two 5mm bolts to support a 6mm mount. The adapter also allows the lower rack stays to sit a good bit wider than if they were attached directly to the dropouts, aiding bracing angles. In my opinion, the adapter is really worthwhile.

On the Cargo Evos I had and Logo Evo I have, mounting is accomplished with supplied cylinder-head 5mm allen bolts. The lower bolt head sits in the well formed by the investment cast "dropout" at the rack's base, and rides on a small-diameter, thin flat washer the same size as the head. Tubus left just enough room on the Evo versions of the Cargo and Logo to take the threaded shaft and head of a 6mm allen bolt. Attached are photos I took just a few moments ago, showing a 6mm bolt in place. The holes in the adjustable top stays are also drilled for 6mm. Again, 5mm are supplied and can be used as well as 6mm on the recent Evo series of these racks.

The Logo Evo does hold the load lower and the load can also be placed farther to the rear for heel heel clearance (pretty much a non-issue in this case, given the Nomad's generous chainstay length). It is also a pretty rack in my eyes, made of nice curves. Lowering the bag mounting rail means the cap-tops on Ortlieb's Packer-series panniers extend less far above the rack's top surface. The top deck of the Logo is very narrow compared to other racks (this is how Tubus chose to triangulate this rack against lateral sway), but it makes for a smaller platform to support rack-top packs and such (mine tended to wobble on the Logo, but was dead-solid on the Cargo and Surly's Nice Rack (Rear) and of course, on Thorn's own Expedition rack. The light mount is a buried a bit behind mounted panniers, so it doesn't show as well from the side as it would on the Thorn. In my tests, the Cargo Evo had better resistance to lateral and yaw loads than the Logo Evo, it has a wider top deck, and the Evo model of the Cargo has a closed front loop "return" (looks like a handle) so it appears more finished than the original Cargo. The Logo has no return, and the already narrow top deck tapers further at the front. The advantage is you can stuff rack-top loads further under the overhang of the saddle, so long as your thighs clear. The Evo editions of both the Cargo and Evo have a revised mounting system for the upper struts that is lighter than on older models, just as secure, a but more versatile, and easier and quicker to adjust. I think the features of the Tubus' Evo editions are enough of an improvement to choose over the still-available older models if you are buying new.

Up front, I went with Thorn's Low-Loader Mark V panneir racks and have been very happy with them, transferring the same rack from my Miyata 1000LT to Sherpa and now the Nomad. The Tubus Duo is also nice; l I don't know if it will accept 6mm mounting bolts. After all my testing, I ended up with a Thorn Expedition/Thorn Low-Loader Mark V combo, and am very pleased with the result.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:52:52 am by Danneaux »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 12:57:53 pm »
Thanks Dan. I suspected you would have tried both types of rack at some stage!  ;)

I am aware of the narrow top on the Logo Evo, although I would have thought that my dry bag, wedged between the tops of my Bike Packer Plus Ortleibs, wouldn't be wanting to wander, and could be web-strapped into submission. The Expedition looks... agricultural  :D. And Andy himself says (or whoever wrote that section of the Nomad brochure) that it's impossible to get the cold-drawn rods straight, etc. I thought, in my experience the fit and finish of Tubus gear has been top notch. I have never held or seen a Thorn rack in the flesh, so I was concerned just what I'd end up with. Also, as I mentioned, my adapters won't be turning up for months (Lisa wanted to shift one off a bike in the build queue, but they wouldn't let her), so I will need to attach the rear rack with the 5mm for my training runs until they arrive.

I like the Low Loader much more, but I still think the Duo looks neater. I'm also thinking it might make travelling (air and train) easier, and be less vulnerable to side-crushing. It looks brutally strong.

I'm going to flip a coin (literally!) and order them tonight. (I'm in a hurry, because I want to maximise every order from SJC since the freight is so high. Also, the Aussie dollar is slipping backward at a rate of knots, which is going to hurt my build, and my trip. Oh well...  :()

Regards,
Sam

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 04:17:04 pm »
I am aware of the narrow top on the Logo Evo, although I would have thought that my dry bag, wedged between the tops of my Bike Packer Plus Ortleibs, wouldn't be wanting to wander, and could be web-strapped into submission.
Yep! Lengthwise racktop loads won't be a problem with the Packer-bags' tops, Sam; the dry bag will nestle in-between just fine.

Crosswise loads on the Logo won't likely be a problem, either, as the load will rest atop the lowered bags' caps and you can always fill the remaining "valley" with something like a tent footprint or such to bring it level if needed.

Only problem I found wrt the narrow Logo top was with my rack-pack, which tended to list to one side or another 'cos of the skinny perch.

In practice, you'll do fine with either. The narrower top can be accommodated when packing, and many people happily and reliably tour the world with any of the steel-tube brands.
The Expedition looks... agricultural
It does!
it's impossible to get the cold-drawn rods straight, etc.
True enough. Mine was off very slightly (2mm) at the forward mounting stays. In contrast, the Tubii were spot-on, but when installed the difference was indiscernible.
in my experience the fit and finish of Tubus gear has been top notch.
Absolutely! All three of mine were flawless in alignment and finish. The black "coating" on the Tubus proved in my experience to be a bit less robust and thinner than on the Thorn, but the Tubus finish is top of the heap, and the aesthetics/appearance of the design are the best as well, in my opinion.
I like the Low Loader much more, but I still think the Duo looks neater. I'm also thinking it might make travelling (air and train) easier, and be less vulnerable to side-crushing. It looks brutally strong.
<nods> Again, Tubus wins for aesthetics, but Thorn has massive strength at the 5mm thick lower mounting plates. The threaded spacing cylinder and alu inner strut keep the Low-Loaders rigid as can be and very strong.

Ah, Sam...the joys of equipping a new frame/bike! You'll do fine no matter what you choose. This is all top-flight gear, and you really can't go wrong. Can't wait to see the result as your build progresses.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:28:13 pm by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:49:22 pm »
I'm a credit card tourer, so I have a Tubus Cosmo rack.

What's good about the Tubus Cosmo:

-- stainless steel
--  twin rails
-- light for the construction
-- stiff enough to pick up a heavy bike by, after considerable messing around

What's not so good about the Tubus Cosmo:

-- the light weight is achieved by making it painfully narrow
-- more weight is saved by making it too short to fit modern touring tyre sizes
-- more weight is saved by not giving you a complete fitting kit

What's plain nasty about the Tubus Cosmo:

-- Tubus is cheap about giving you enough nuts and bolts fit their rack
-- the rack is anyway too short to fit
-- the extender kit is expensive
-- Tubus technical advice is incompetent (I was told the Cosmo would fit a German bike without the extender kit; it didn't, exposing me to another €15 carriage charge)
-- between the rack fittings and the extender fittings, you still don't have enough nuts and bolts!

The Cosmo, in common with other Tubus racks, is schizophrenic. It appears to be designed not for loaded tourers but for converted road bikes going on credit card tours. On the one hand it is narrow and short, on the other it is a stiff twin-rail, triangulated design. The split personality shows at every turn, and makes wide (40mm and up) and balloon tyre converts, of whom there are plenty among the tourers, feel unwanted at Tubus.

Am I satisfied that I got the best deal for my money? Actually, yes. The Cosmo rack works for my modest needs, and it is the only stainless rack available. You might say that at that price, it should work. At that price what I see is stainless steel that lasts forever, and looks good all that time.

Would I buy Tubus again? No. I can get a properly scaled stainless rack custom-built for what a Cosmo and fitting kit costs at the discounters. I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of trying to make a Cosmo fit ever again.

Andre Jute

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 01:07:03 am »

I'm going to flip a coin (literally!)

Greetings, Sportsfans!

The results of the coin-toss? (Drum roll, please...) The winner is... Thorn!

Both front and rear. Ordered last night. Along with rims, spokes, nipples, rim tape, chain ring (110bcd, 38t), KMC X1 chain and a full set of Pitlocks. Plus some surprises (I want you guys to anticipate this, as well!  ;))

Cheers,
Sam

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 02:14:17 am »
The winner is... Thorn!
I really think you'll be pleased with the racks and other Thorn-sourced goods, Sam.
Ordered last night. Along with...
Some nice choices there!
I want you guys to anticipate this, as well!
'kay! We are!

Best,

Dan. (...who is hoping the rest of the goodies arrive as quickly as the frame)

No

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 12:17:31 am »
I would go with thorn. The tubus front rack I bought always either came crooked or with paint in the threads so that it would strip bolts out.

Pavel

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 02:37:57 am »
I replaced my thorn rack with a tubus cosmo in stainless steel.  Far happier with it due to the mounting of the luggage, which is more versatile and the way the two stays attach to the seat tube posts.  Both attachments are very strong .. but the flat iron used on the thorn is a pain.  I have not figured out a way to trim it to size and have hurt my leg on two occasions due to the extra metal protruding by two inches (or so).
I like the length of the thorn better, btw, but when you add up all the pro's and cons ... the tubus wins in by a small but clear margin ... pour moi.  :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 02:59:38 am »
Hi Pavel!

When I mounted my Thorn rear rack to Sherpa and again to the Nomad, I used a level to make sure the rack was, well, "level" and then tightened the lower bolts just enough to hold it in place. I then made a couple cardboard models I could bend first to make sure the stays missed the v-brake cable noodle. When I was satisfied with both the bend and length on the model, I bent the real stays in my vise using aluminum jaw covers to prevent marring, making sure they were mirror images of each other.

When it came time to cut the stays, I again mounted them in the vise and used a hacksaw to cut through the narrow edge of the next hole ahead of the mounting hole.

I used a Sharpie all-surface permanent marker to trace around the uncut mating end so both ends had the same radius, then employed an upright/horizontal disc/belt sander and file to quickly clean up the rough, cut ends. A Dremel Moto-Tool with fiberglas-reinforced emery cutoff wheel will do the job quickly also, and that's what I used instead of a hacksaw to cut the Nomad's stays.

I've got a Tubus Logo Evo and Tara on my Rando bike. I've found it comparable in stiffness to my old Surly Nice Rack (Rear), but not as stiff as my Thorn mounted to the Thorn (2-5mm into 1-6mm) dropout adapter. Trying an A-B comparison, the 6mm mounting bolt really did make for a stiffer mount for me on my Nomad compared to a single 5mm bolt.

Best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 11:20:03 am »
Good to hear how you modified the Thorn rack to get it level Dan. I have not modified the rack stays on mine yet resulting in the rack being not quite level after installing the Thorn Cast Ends ...

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-for-rohloff-cast-end-2-x-m5-to-1-x-m6-stainless-dropout-adaptors-prod11703/

I would certainly recommend these cast ends to increase the strength of the lower mounting point. They are expensive but wonderfully engineered and complement the Thorn Expedition rack really well. I concur that fitting them requires the rear rack to be pulled apart a bit to fit which does increase the lateral stability of the rear rack.

I have seen the Tubus racks and think they are a great option, however after a long tour with the Thorn rear and front low-loader, I would not use anything else. Other racks seem to be fitted to the bike while the Thorn racks seem to become 'part' of the bike if you see what I mean. I regularly lift the bike by the rear and front rack when for example putting the bike on a train or lifting it over a fence.

I never had to tighten any bolts either during 3 months of heavily loaded touring!

Another vote for Thorn racks!

il padrone

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 07:30:08 am »

I have seen the Tubus racks and think they are a great option, however after a long tour with the Thorn rear and front low-loader, I would not use anything else. Other racks seem to be fitted to the bike while the Thorn racks seem to become 'part' of the bike if you see what I mean. I regularly lift the bike by the rear and front rack when for example putting the bike on a train or lifting it over a fence.

I never had to tighten any bolts either during 3 months of heavily loaded touring!

I would say all the same things about my Tubus front and rear racks  :D

bikerwaser

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 09:42:09 am »
i had my Sherpa fitted with Thorn's racks front and rear but after one small French tour i changed the rear rack for 2 reasons: 1, having just the one level was a pain for the "on and off-ability" of the luggage and 2, there were no bars stopping the bag of my pannier bags migrating towards the rear wheel. while i was touring i had to make up 2 rods made out of 2 old tent poles and tape them to the frame and rack to stop the pannier migration.
i don't do really heavy touring but i'm no weight weenie (my total bike tour load is usually around 50kgs or less). i replaced my Thorn rack with a Tortec that has been great so far.