Author Topic: Locks on tour  (Read 10542 times)

ahconway

Locks on tour
« on: January 18, 2006, 01:46:53 pm »
I'm hoping to load up the Raven and head out for a week-long tour as soon as things thaw out a bit. I've been restricted to day rides for ages (my last fully-loaded tour was c. 1978!), so I'm a bit behind the times.

I'm so preoccupied with security around town, I was just wondering what experienced cycle tourists use to lock up overnight or on rest stops. I can't imagine lugging a U-lock and cables along with me.

What do you recommend?

PH

Re: Locks on tour
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 12:20:31 am »
I do two types of tour, the sort where it's all about the cycling, in the day the bike's rarely out of my sight and when it is it's only for a few minuets and has a thin cable lock to discourage anyone riding off with it. At night it's safely locked in a B&B.
The other type is where it's about the places I'm going and the bike is the means rather than the end.  I take the lightest, Sold Secure, Gold rated U-lock I could find, that was a Squire Paramount when I bought it 4 years ago. That coupled with Pitlock skewers and insurance means I'm comfortable leaving it anywhere sensible while I go off and enjoy myself.

Enjoy your trip, where are you going?

http://www.soldsecure.com/Leisure.htm

ahconway

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 07:43:00 am »
Thanks for the tips, PH. How's Big Red doing, incidentally?

Not quite sure where I'm going just yet, but it will probably be the Lake District or northern France (see my other post http://www.sjscycles.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=658 about this). Depending on time, it may just be the C2C route.

Any other ideas for the cycle-mad dad who can rarely get away on his own?

PH

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 12:19:03 am »
quote:
Originally posted by ahconway

Thanks for the tips, PH. How's Big Red doing, incidentally?

Big Red is doing well[:)]
Just done the second oil change, I'll have to buy the big bottles of oil, £12 a time is a bit much.  I also broke a bayonet fitting on the gear cable, it clogged up with road gunk and wouldn't budge when I got a puncture, tried to pry it open with a screwdriver[B)] The replacement was £12 + £5 for 2nd class P&P[:0] They're now slathered in grease.
Other than that I've been very impressed.  I've had a shoulder injury since August, two months off the bike and the Ravens upright position means it's the only bike I've ridden since.

Your thoughts after a year? Still as good as you'd expected?  Did you get a chance to do any more Audax?  

ahconway

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 05:05:48 pm »
Hi PH - Your adventures with the oil change make me glad I've decided to outsource that (for now, anyway). My local shop, where I got my Raven delivered, has a good relationship with SJSC and is going to be sorting out oil changes for the half dozen or so ones they've received on behalf of other Londoners.

I've only done about 1200 miles so far, but I'm really very pleased. It's just so comfortable over virtually any sort of terrain - I can't imagine another single bike that would do the same. Last Sunday, for example, I rode the length of the Great North Way (otherwise known as Sustrans route 12 in Hertfordshire), which included some really muddy offroad bits, well-paved B-roads, country lanes, and hard-packed gravel paths. Of course, I was happy over all of it, which is more than I could say for the unfortunate Dawes Galaxy rider I came across at one point!

I did manage to do one more Audax ride - a 110km summer ride just north of London. This one went much smoother, and I was pleased that there was a first-timer I could take under my wing! Hope to do more this year.

Andrew
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 06:20:42 am by ahconway »

PH

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 12:13:38 am »
quote:
Originally posted by ahconway
 Your adventures with the oil change make me glad I've decided to outsource that (for now, anyway).

I broke the bayonet while fixing a puncture, at the side of the road, typically in the dark and rain.
The oil changes have been very straightforward. I just resent paying £12 for 50ml of fluid, when I can get 2 litres for £60, which is what I shall do before the next one.

Glad you managed another Audax. I know what you mean about the Ravens ability on mixed terrain.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 12:16:22 am by PH »