Technical > Luggage

Thorn and Tubus rear racks

(1/2) > >>

bomber castle:
I need to put a rear rack on my Galaxy after getting fed up with the cheap Tortec aluminium rack that was previously attatched to the back.  It'll be used for fully loaded touring with two full 50 litr panniers.
  I'm split between the Tubus Logo steel rear carrier and the Thorn expedition.  Both are about the same price.  I've heard very good things abouth the stiffness of the Thorn rack but not much about the Tubus.  Anyone got any comments that are likely to sway me either way?

john28july:
I have a Nomad and an Audax from Thorn. I have over many years owned and used many bikes and racks.
I now only use the Thorn racks.
Answered as truthfully as I can, the racks are not that stylish but are very strong and surprisingly light.
John.

www.pbase.com/john28july

paulhipwood:
I have a Raven Sports Tour, it has a Tubus rack on the back. I have not carried any great load but it seems fairly stiff. I took it off as I was  taking part in my first time trial. When I had got it off I put it back on again as it weighed 400 gms and I could not be bothered to store it anywhere!!!
It has a rather narrow top which may prevent a top bag to be fitted.
Hope this helps.

ahconway:
The narrowness of the rack is a key point. If you're going to be carrying heavy loads in panniers, you may want teh extra stability of the lower mounting bar on the Tubus racks, but if you want to attach a rack-top bag, stick to Thorn! I have a tubus rack and it's virtually impossible to attach my Altura rack bag without a spider's web of bungees!

bomber castle:
I don't owm a rack pack, a bar bag is a lot easier to get into [;)]  I think I'll go with the Tubus, I've already decided on a tubus lo-rider for the front anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version