Author Topic: 2 Wheels to China  (Read 6123 times)

RM

2 Wheels to China
« on: January 07, 2006, 02:34:22 pm »
Hi,

In June we're doing a cycle tour to China and back for Cancer Research UK. We've ordered two Thorn EXPs which should be delivered in February.  We've set a website up to keep people up to date with our progress - the site is http://www.2wheelstochina.org.uk where you can find out a bit more detail.

We would be grateful for any tips and advice, especially in relation to sponsorship and/or companies that can help out.

Thanks.

Richard & Kat

xtc girl

Re: 2 Wheels to China
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 12:26:39 pm »
Good Luck with your tour.  When a friend had to get sponsorship to go on a tour, she wrote "begging" letters to companies asking help with sponsorship.  Companies she found were more willing to give out their products then money, so get in touch with local cycle/camping shops.   Then, so the companies got free advertising she made T-shirts with all the companies that sponsored her.  Also, you could ask sponsorship forms to be placed in local buliding societies, banks and shops.  Ask nearly everyone you know as well.  I can't advise really on what to take, as I took 3 towels on a tour to Denmark.  My Dad has a Thorn EXP with Rohloff hub, and he really pleased with "his baby".

Ceri

bomber castle

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 01:09:48 pm »
Just my tupence worth, if you do end up with loads of random tat from companies, you could raffle it off or put it on ebay to raise cash for charity.

Paul Grocott

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 08:42:35 pm »
Good luck!
Does anyone know how to discourage psychopathic dogs? Serious, in remote areas they can be very disturbing. On every cycling trip this is my major problem, or maybe they detect my fear?

Redfish

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 03:10:28 pm »
Paul - The best thing seems to be the Dog Dazer (I think it's just www.dazer.com) It's a device about the size of a mobile phone and it emitts a high pitch sound that humans cannot hear, but dogs don't like. Doesn't harm the dog, but stops them in their tracks (even psychotic ones!)

xtc girl - thanks for your advice. Richard and i have indeed found quite a few companies who've kindly given us equipment and discounts, but none to part with cash.

Paul Grocott

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 07:38:13 pm »
Thanks Redfish: shall try the dazer. Hopefully it is not edible!

RM

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 10:04:23 am »
Hi,

Just a short update!

Less than a month before we leave now! We've posted some photo's of our bikes on our website http://www.2wheelstochina.org.uk. There are a number of other additions too.

If anyone would like to keep up to date with our progress just drop us a line and we will add you to the list.

Thanks.

RM

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 06:03:02 am »
Hi,

We've now reached Turkey having cycled in 12 different countries and having covered over 2,500 miles. Our website has a full diary update with some photos of our first European leg too. If you haven't been keeping progress of our tour please visıt http://www.2wheelstochina.org.uk.

Just to add that the Dog Dazer is working a treat!!!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 06:07:43 am by RM »

RM

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 03:09:27 am »
Hi,

Just a quick update on our tour for those that are interested.

We've now completed our Indian leg, and I think we can honestly say that cycling in India is no fun - it is hot and the roads are the worst be have encountered so far, signposts are also fairly useless!

We are currently in Singapore and head for Malaysia tomorrow (14th Dec), just a handful of countries left before we reach our main goal of China. Don't forget our site has a diary page and some photos of our bikes on the road - www.2wheelstochina.org.uk.

Thanks.
Richard & Kat