Author Topic: Twister Shifter alignment after external gear removal and replacement  (Read 3130 times)

j1of1

I have a Thorn Nomad with Rohloff hub. The cables are attached to the hub with an external gear mech.   When I reinstalled the wheel and reattached the gear mech I was not able to select all 14 gears so I removed the gear mech, turn the twist shifter to gear #14 and turned the peg on the extenral transfer box counter-clockwise until it stopped then reattached the gear mech.  However I still cannot access all 14 gears.  I can access 1-13, but not 14.  Thoughts on how to fix?  Thanks!  Jan

wheezy

Provided you're counting correctly (Only thirteen clicks for fourteen gears*), then the shifter or the gear can't be turned the whole way.

Other than that, I'm stuck...

*Exactly the sort of mistake that I'd make. Not casting aspersions!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:42:19 pm by wheezy »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Hi Jan!

So sorry to hear of your problem. Yes, you've done all the "right" things to get the shifter realigned and the hub working, yet it does not catch all the gears.

I just went out to where my Nomad is resting and played with my gearing to simulate your problem. I think Wheezy's called it. I would suggest going against the opposite bed-stop and trying for a #1/#1 combo to fit, or all one way and then all back to #14/#14. A small amount of cable play can make it a bit difficult to determine exactly what gear the shifter is in; mine often reads a "fractional-gear" unless I jiggle the shifter a little. And yes -- Wheezy's again spot-on -- the gear you're in at the moment counts as "one" of the 14 available, so only 13 clicks to get all 14. I've sometimes had to re-count myself!

Hope this helps. If not, please let us know.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

Provided you're counting correctly (Only thirteen clicks for fourteen gears*), then the shifter or the gear can't be turned the whole way.

Other than that, I'm stuck...

*Exactly the sort of mistake that I'd make. Not casting aspersions!

LOL.

It is useful-to-essential to put the gearchange control into gear 14 before you remove the EXT click box. Then, when you want to put it back, if it doesn't slip into engagement smoothly, wriggle the rotary control on the handlebar just a tiny bit, and it will slip on.

You already know, Jan, what to do if you forget this precaution: turn the gearbox to gear 14 (or 1 but that could make it more difficult) with a spanner on the brass hexagon, turn the rotary control to the same gear, and fit together.

Andre Jute

wildrover

Just to add to this topic, I got my new bike yesterday, and I found the same issue.  In this case,  one of the shifter cables had too much slack in it.  Tightening the cable at the ex-box cleared up (this) situation.

Regards,
Holly

j1of1

First, thanks for all the advice!  After some experimentation I discovered there was too much cable slack - shortening the cable accompanied by ensuring the twist shifter was on gear #14 and turning the peg on the external transfer box counter-clockwise until it stopped then reattached the gear mech solved the problem! :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Yay! Glad it worked. Thanks so much for the followup, Jan.

Best wishes for trouble-free riding ahead!

Dan.

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
Re: Twister Shifter alignment after external gear removal and replacement
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:05:26 pm »
After changing a tyre I had this problem, & found this thread. Andre Jute, your suggestion is one of those that looks pointless, except that it works. As an engineer friend of mine said; "that is one of those things that an engineer would say couldn't work"...until he got a chance to experience it.
Thanks

Andre Jute

Re: Twister Shifter alignment after external gear removal and replacement
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 02:18:47 am »
After changing a tyre I had this problem, & found this thread. Andre Jute, your suggestion is one of those that looks pointless, except that it works. As an engineer friend of mine said; "that is one of those things that an engineer would say couldn't work"...until he got a chance to experience it.
Thanks

Glad to be of service.