Author Topic: chain stretch  (Read 2931 times)

strat

chain stretch
« on: January 04, 2006, 08:06:27 pm »
I am sure I have seen a thread about this somewhere on the forum, but cannot find it. So apologies if repeating some stuff. My Raven Sports Tour has done about 1,000 miles and the chain has a pronounced droop. Should I start taking up the slack with the bottom bracket, leave it, or replace the chain. Will the rear cog and front chainwheel have worn to any extent yet, that replacing the chain will mean having to turn the cog and chainwheel around to offer a new surface to the chain? Do worn cogs manifest themselve in the same way as deraillieurs- ie the chain jumping off the teeth?

Andrew

Re: chain stretch
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 09:28:31 am »
Hi Strat,

Full information on chain adjustment is in your Thorn owners manual (page 6). You can download the latest copy (2.5MB) from: http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/thornpdf/ThornBikeOwnerManual2Web.pdf
If you would like me to pop a copy in the post drop me an email: andrew@sjscycles.com

Best regards

Andrew

strat

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 05:28:48 pm »
Thanks Andrew, I have downloaded the manual but cannot get my computer to display it - problem my end I think. I will let you know if I need a hard copy

strat

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 06:19:52 pm »
OK,I have managed to open and read the manual. Presumably this should have been included with my bike - but anyway good to see it now. The advice seems pretty clear on chain stretch. Thanks for your help.