Author Topic: My New Baby - 16 months on  (Read 12313 times)

Team Triplet

My New Baby - 16 months on
« on: December 14, 2005, 09:35:40 pm »
Well I have had my new baby for 16 months now.  I’ve been meaning to give an update, and an email from a forum reader has prompted me to pen to paper so to speak.  

First the question from KWK01 – drop handlebars.  No problem at all I much prefer drops to straight bars, we had SJSC comfort bars on Mikado our triplet and I never really found them comfortable.  The Diacompe 287V levers with the V brakes work well and I have had no problems with braking.   The extra bar for the gear changer provides a bit of extra space for computers, lights etc.  Ger changing is no problem normally, although at times I feel as if I am holding the changer “awkwardly”.  That I thinks gives rise to the occasional problem when very wet and cold I sometimes feel as if I haven’t the strength to change gear.  That seems to be the only problem I have had in terms of drops, although it may be just a feature of the gear changer and other riders have the same problem with straight bars.  I suspect for the reason just stated I have noticed rubber on the gear changer seems to wear out quickly.

Other problems – I did have a seal go on the back wheel leading to ingress of salt causing the gears to partially seize – the symptom was riding up the Beacon Hill and to and from the local mill loaded with flour, in low gear it felt that the gear was not engaged and slipped.  SJSC were very good and had the wheel shipped back to Rholoff for fixing – no problem since.  That was in May and since then we had a wet three week tour of Danmark including several salt water drenchings on ferries.  Rather post the wheel back we chose to drive down to SJSC, it was returned late by the post 2 weeks later.  We should off had it back in the middle of the second week, SJSC sent it back next day , but after 3 days we gave up waiting and collected it from our nearest depot.  Whilst I was without my baby for the two weeks, I hijacked Ceri-Siân’s baby.

Punctures – I found the Tour Guard were not puncture resistant so I gave up on them and replaced with the Marathon plus tyres.  I did have a puncture in the first week of them but that was a side wall one after riding through glass.  I have had none since.

The only other is very minor, I had the double LED rear light holder.  That mounts the lights side by side, but the overall width is wider then the normal SJSC rack.  I kept losing the cover glasses so I wired them on.  When I finally broke one when I caught it I re-engineered the rear lights by a “normal” and a “low profile” SJSC rear light, so that the lights can be mounted one above the other.

As for the good points she performed wonderfully in Danmark I was very heavily loaded for a three week tour, see: http://www.team-triplet.com/TTSite/2005DK01.htm  I used all gears, yes even gear 1.  Sjælland Odde (the peninsular on the NW corner of Sjælland is a bit like Jersey with the coast road going up and down, which is where gear 1 was used..  When I when out for light rides, like my late evening and early morning rides on Ærø I flew along.  It was on Ærø that I noticed the effect off the dynamo.  My winter commuting to work, I had ridden with lights either on or off so I did not notice a drag.  However as it started to get dark on Ærø, I put my lights on, and at 20mph plus, I felt the drag of the dynamo!

In all I am well pleased with my baby.  The problem with the gear seizure I put down to bad luck.  The problem is I am starting to get “half bike disease”!

PS I still haven't given my new baby a name!

kwkirby01

Re: My New Baby - 16 months on
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 11:50:12 am »
Team Triplet, thanks for the comprehensive post. Your trip to Denmark looks as if it was a lot of fun.

You have external foam on your bars, is this personal preference rather than foam (e.g. MarSAS) and bartape?

Did you consider using the HUBBUB bar end shifter? I've never used bar end shifters, but they do seem to be very popular.

Interesting comment on Tourguard vs. Marathon tyres. I used 1.5 Marathons on my previous bike and found them fine for most of my cycling, including light off-road (forest tracks, bridleways etc.) Are you using 1.5" or 1.75"?

I've been using the new Cateye rear light which incorporates two rows of five LEDS, each of which can be used independently (i.e. one row flashing, one solid). It achieves the same result as two lights mounted vertically.

Kevin

Kevin K. Glasgow

kwkirby01

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 12:16:42 pm »
Team Triplet, I fogot to ask, if the EXP-R had been avaialble when you bought your cycle, would you have opted for that instead of the EXP?
Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow

Team Triplet

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 02:39:12 pm »
Originally posted by kwkirby01

Team Triplet, thanks for the comprehensive post. Your trip to Denmark looks as if it was a lot of fun.

You have external foam on your bars, is this personal preference rather than foam (e.g. MarSAS) and bartape?
Yes - I find bar tape wears out to qquickly and then starts to unravel.

Did you consider using the HUBBUB bar end shifter? I've never used bar end shifters, but they do seem to be very popular.
No - at the time the only thing on offer is the set up I currently have.  It looks as if it could be a good alternative.

Team Triplet

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 02:41:01 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by kwkirby01

Team Triplet, I fogot to ask, if the EXP-R had been avaialble when you bought your cycle, would you have opted for that instead of the EXP?
Kevin

Note sure.  The main problem is the SJSC web site does not list drop bars as option on the Raven models these days.  I don't know if that means they no longer or if it is only available if asked for.

ahconway

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 10:52:57 pm »
Looks like you've really given your baby a workout!

Here's one thing I don't quite get... why would you use S&S couplings on a "half bike"? I always thougt they were mostly used with tandems.

Andrew C

xtc girl

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 09:17:46 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ahconway

Looks like you've really given your baby a workout!

Here's one thing I don't quite get... why would you use S&S couplings on a "half bike"? I always thougt they were mostly used with tandems.

Andrew C

The orginal idea was to go on train assisted rides (smuggle the bikes on as "hand luggage" and put them on the luggage racks), but both on the XTC and EXP we haven't had chance to use them.  I know of 1 occassion when the EXP has been split into and that was just for the sake of using the S+S couplings.