Author Topic: Training Program  (Read 1655 times)

ZeroBike

Training Program
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:33:44 pm »
Hello all.

I was just looking for a training plan that incorporated HIIT (or fartlek training).

I found this one

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/your-training-plans?page=0,0

So first up, what do you think?  or could you reconmend anything better.

The second question is to do with the terminology in the plan.

For instance on Thursday of week 1 the plan says "1:15 Base, with two 20 min. efforts (15 min. tempo/5 min. threshold. Repeat.)"

Does this mean 1hr 15 minutes of base level PLUS 2 x 20 min efforts or does it mean that the 2 x 20 mins are to be completed within the 1hr 15mins?

Thanks

macspud

Re: Training Program
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 09:21:06 pm »
For instance on Thursday of week 1 the plan says "1:15 Base, with two 20 min. efforts (15 min. tempo/5 min. threshold. Repeat.)"

Does this mean 1hr 15 minutes of base level PLUS 2 x 20 min efforts or does it mean that the 2 x 20 mins are to be completed within the 1hr 15mins?

Thanks

From my reading of it (and my understanding of HITT) the latter. Total time for ride 1 hour 15 mins with two 20 min bouts of effort, the bouts to be split into 15 mins at tempo effort and 5 mins threshold effort.

Then again it is hard to tell the way that he has written it and I may be wrong, it may be the former.

Maybe try posting a comment with the question on that site  ???
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:40:20 pm by macspud »

ZeroBike

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:39:17 pm »
Thanks

That's the way I origionaly interpreted it, but then for some reason I started to question myself!

EDIT: LOL... you just changed your answer!  I guess you are now reading it like I was! 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:40:57 pm by ZeroBike »

macspud

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:43:02 pm »
If you notice the way that I've edited/modified my reply you'll recognise that I've just done the same. I went on to read the training program on pages two and three and from the way it's worded I became unsure too. To me it looks more like he's saying the former.
 :D

I think either would work, though it will depend where you are fitness and stamina wise to start with.

I'd say it's poorly explained, opaque...
 ::) :-\

EDIT: Oh you've noticed :D ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:59:40 pm by macspud »